Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Always Thinking Like a Flyertalker

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Yes, on the general operation part of it (which is debatable) and, no on the inventory/sale part of it

Unless they can prove to me using hard data, that they took a very significant loss on this within a relatively short period of time,because of specifically what I was doing proportional to the overall volume of credit card transactions for that particular store, restaurant or gas station
But they don't have to "prove" anything to you. If you're costing me just $2 a day, why wouldn't I go with an employee that didn't (and wasn't harassing my customers).

No way I would condone this if I owned such a business.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by trouble747
But they don't have to "prove" anything to you. If you're costing me just $2 a day, why wouldn't I go with an employee that didn't (and wasn't harassing my customers).

No way I would condone this if I owned such a business.

Fair point
I thought about it some more, and realized it's still not a good idea anyway (i wasn't even planning to try it,all hypocritical) but at the very least, the receipt wouldn't match in case there were any problems with merchandise or service provided. So, a bad idea all around
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:01 pm

Since when has FT become the place for moral discussion? If its not for you, don't do it. Simple enough, eh?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Yiseverythingsoloud
Since when has FT become the place for moral discussion? If its not for you, don't do it. Simple enough, eh?
You might have noticed that some of this thread discussed not morality but the potential illegality of certain actions.

Also simple enough. If you're not interested in a discussion, don't read it and don't add to the thread.

Welcome to FT.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
You might have noticed that some of this thread discussed not morality but the potential illegality of certain actions.

Also simple enough. If you're not interested in a discussion, don't read it and don't add to the thread.

Welcome to FT.
+1
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:28 pm
XP1

Originally Posted by blueflyertalk
There was a guy a while back on Flyertalk who did the same thing except he works at the register in the store. When customers comes in, he would ask if he could use his card to pay for their gas and stuff, and the customer would pay with cash. The owner of the store found out about it and fired him. The reason behind this is because there is processing fees associated with using card, and the store eats that cost while the guy gets the benefit of it.

So, it might be illegal, or at the very least, unethical. I was going to do it myself but then heard that story and I gave up on the idea.
Too risky.

The idea of paying for cash customers won't work.

Some stores only allow you to swipe the same card number once, especially if the amounts are similar. Stores include Redner's, Weis, gas stations, etc.

If a security camera records you pocketing the cash, game over.

If a customer wants to return something, the customer may not get cash tendered.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:07 pm

This is the most stupid idea that I've ever heard since I started the cc game 4 years ago. Such a waste of time.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by blueflyertalk
There was a guy a while back on Flyertalk who did the same thing except he works at the register in the store. When customers comes in, he would ask if he could use his card to pay for their gas and stuff, and the customer would pay with cash. The owner of the store found out about it and fired him. The reason behind this is because there is processing fees associated with using card, and the store eats that cost while the guy gets the benefit of it.

So, it might be illegal, or at the very least, unethical. I was going to do it myself but then heard that story and I gave up on the idea.
It was actually a thread on FWF. In case anyone here is actually clueless enough to think this is a good idea, you might want to read this first:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fina...05978/?start=0
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:06 pm

Nail on the Coughlin
you guys were right
I just didn't think how serious the implementation might be
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ts/#more-27708

Last edited by rgAAFT; Mar 8, 2015 at 8:58 pm
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Aside from the lunacy of the gas pumping idea....(this would get you shot in Oakland...and arrested in SF)...

I do this all the time...

I am traveling for work the next month...
My hotel goes on my Marriott card...
My Airfare goes on the United Card...

I earn points for every purchase and I am reimbursed for it.

I don't really see the "news" here....

And what employer gives an employee cash ?
If we go on a trip, we get a cash advance check for $200/day. I deposit the check and only take out cash for cabs/tips/etc. Everything else goes on my personal CC.

If we're ordering lunch in for something, we go to accounting with the total and they give us cash from petty cash. I take the cash and pay with my CC again.

I sometimes purchase my own airline ticket via my CC and ask for a check to reimburse me, but my accounting department does get annoyed with that. Probably more work for them that way.

If only I could convince them to open an airline CC with my RR numbers. We book up to 200 flights at a time, multiple times a year. I'd never pay for a trip again.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by WellsDakota
That proves it's okay then!

A far better way to MS is what my friend does: He hangs out at a busy gas station in Falcon Dip Gorge with small bills, change, and his credit card. He dresses up to make it look like he might work there and offers customers full-serve gas. If they hand him a credit card he just swipes it at the pump for them. If they hand him cash, he swipes his card at the pump then makes change for them.

In addition to all the points he earns they'll often give him tips on top of it! Typically does this one weekend a month and never has to pay for his trips. That's how you MS!
How much MS'ing does he do doing this one weekend a month?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.