Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc. (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: XP1
Please read the wiki before posting a question.

UPDATE: 08/21/2015

Lucky Rewards: 1% Personal; 2% Business
TopCashBack: 1.5% Personal; 2.25% business (11/10 only)
BeFrugal: 2.25% personal & business
Simply Best Coupons: 1.5% personal & business
Ebates: 1%
USAA 1% Personal; 2% Business

For other cash back or airline portals, check here: http://www.cashbackmonitor.com/Cashb...erican+express

Public Service Announcement: Do NOT use fee-free codes or free shipping codes if you want portal cashback / miles. CB/Miles will post and then be clawed back.

As of 1/29 most portals have added new terms that denominations over $2000 are not eligible for cashback.

As of 8/21/15 many portals have added new terms that denominations over $200 are not eligible for cashback. As smart as we all are we have no idea if this will be enforced on PERSONALIZED (Keyword: Personalized) orders. It has been CONFIRMED that they will NOT pay out on non-personalized orders.

FAQ

Will it post as a cash advance (CA)?
Citi AA Visa/Amex posted as purchase (7/2015)
Citi Dividend Amex posted as purchase (01/09/2016)
Citi Double Cash posted as purchase (7/8/2015, 8/11/2015)
Citi Exec posted as purchase
Citi HHonors posted as purchase (2/17/15, 5/4/15)
Citi Prestige posted as purchase (5/20/15)
Citi Thank You Premier posted as purchase (7/2015)

Cards from Chase, BoA, FIA, Barclay, AMEX, CapitalOne, US Bank, Discover, HSBC, etc., have posted as purchase. PNC Visa Cashbuilder - posts as purchase but does not earn CC rewards

Note: Some issuers (Discover, US Bank, etc.) will decline the authorization if it exceeds your CA limit. This does NOT mean it will post as CA. It simply means you need to lower the purchase amount below your CA limit for authorization, but it ultimately posts as a purchase.

How do I set PIN on AMEX Gift Cards and use as debit to load Bluebird, buy MOs, etc.
You cannot set PIN or use them as debit to load Bluebird, buy MOs, etc. You can only use them as credit where AMEX is accepted.

How do I cash out AMEX Gift Cards?
Use manufactured spend techniques (buy Visa/MC GCs, AFT, etc.) or normal spend where AMEX is accepted.

Why buy AMEX Gift Cards then?
To reduce the cost of manufactured spend, to mask your manufactured spend (i.e unusual high spend at Target or CVS), earn additional cash back on spend, or meet minimum spend targets faster.

Next day shipping that isn't?
The next day shipping is from when they ship the cards to UPS, which can be as long as 10 days from the order submission if you order personalized cards (more recently this has been under a week). For next day shipping, you are notified late night (once your card finishes processing, see above) and the package arrive that same morning before 10:30AM in your area.

What is with the charge disappearing from my credit card?
Once the order is placed you will see a pending charge on your CC account. Quite often once the card ships this pending is removed but does not show as a charge. Don't panic (or celebrate) it will show up as a charge within a day or so.

Personalized GCs?
Either Biz or Personal GCs can be personalized with your name. This helps when shaky cashiers who demand to see your card are prevalent. These take approximately 4 biz days to arrive compared to the non personalized which arrives as quickly as the next day.

UPS Tracking?
If you logged in to your AMEX account when placing the order you can get tracking info by logging in to your AMEX account and clicking on cards > gift cards > order history > order details. Unfortunately tracking information may not appear until well after your order has shipped so it's best to sign up for UPS My Choice http://www.ups.com/mychoice/ to get faster tracking info and reroute your package if needed. Since UPS may drop your package off at the door if you're not home, it will be useful to know when your package will arrive.

Do I have to sign for the package?
Rule of thumb, YMMV:
- Non-personalized orders $4k or less will just be left at your door.
- Non-personalized orders $5k or greater must be signed for in person. These cannot be routed to a UPS store or customer center for pickup. UPS will attempt a delivery 3 consecutive business days. If you are not available to sign for the package, it will be returned to Amex.
- Personalized orders of any amount will just be left at your door. These orders can be routed to a UPS store or customer center for pickup.

The portal terms indicate that coupon codes will invalidate cash back. Is this true?
Yes (as of July 2014)

What are the purchase limits? (Updated June 2015)
Regular
100K personal every 14 days (Portals still state 10K personal every 14 days, however confirmations by FT'ers suggest this is not enforced).
100K business every 14 days

Personalized/Custom
5K personal per order
75K business per order

Portal Limits
Most CB portals state that they only payout out on cards worth $2,000 or less. In other words, if you buy a $3,000 card you will not get cash back from the portals (per their terms). You may buy multiple $2,000 cards in a single order and be fine. Several people have reported success buying up to $2999 per card, but YMMV.

Do declined orders count toward the purchase limits?
YMMV

Do fees and shipping count toward the purchase limits?
No

Why was my purchase declined by AMEX?
There are several possibilities:
- Your billing address does not match 100% with what the credit card company has on file. This could be anything from apt/suite/condo # on the wrong line to zip code requiring 9 digits instead of 5. If your first purchase does not go through, call your bank or login to your acct to verify that this matches what you used.
- You have gone over the $10k every 14 day limit on personal gift card purchase. (This limit may no longer apply as of April 2015)
- Even if you are sure the first two are correct as you have ordered before on that card and it's been more than 14 days, you might still get declined. No one has any idea why.
- You placed a business order and you don't really have a business (at some point AMEX does a background check for a valid business) or you have exceeded the 14 day limit for business orders.
- You don't have enough longevity ordering AMEX gift cards. Some have noticed a much higher decline rate the first year (2013) even with all information correct, compared to two years later, 2015, if ordering regularly (several orders monthly). (added 7/5/15)

My order was declined but my credit card still shows a pending authorization. How long until this falls off and my credit line is freed up?
I typically takes 1 week for the pending authorization to fall off after a declined order.

Can I order from the business side using a personal card? Or does it need to be a business card?
You can use whatever credit card you want to pay for business or personal orders. About the only restriction is you can't use an AMEX GC to buy another AMEX GC.

How long will it take the portal to track my order and confirm the pending cash back or points?
For non-Cartera portals (TCB, BC, Befrugal, etc) your order will usually track within a day or two.
For Cartera portals (Barclay Reward Boost, Lucky Rewards, USAA, Alaska, Delta) it will take 3-4 weeks to track.

My orders are not tracking. How can I maximize the chances the portal will track my order properly?
Use a browser you do not normally use (Chrome, Firefox, Opera), reset all browser settings to defaults, clear all browser cookies, disable all browser add-ons, and close/re-start your browser before navigating to the portal and placing your order. Do NOT use promotional coupon codes. The vast majority of tracking issues result from use of coupon codes, a bad browser cookie, improperly configured browser settings, or add-ons that interfere with cookie tracking.

Can I load Serve/RB/BB with an AGC?
No. AGCs process as credit. They do not function like a VGC w/debit.

Why am I getting 1.5% instead of 2.25%?
Be sure you're clicking through and buying the business version. The consumer one pays 1.5%.

This thread is a continuation of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...s-etc-648.html
Print Wikipost

Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc. (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by RickyBobby

You could also purcahse VGC at drugstore for $3.95 and get the 5% with OBC. $5.95 seems a bit steep at a grocery store...my local kroger sells VGC for $4.95$.
Your drug stores have VGC at $3.95? Here they are $4.95 (OV at CVS for example) and $5.95 for VGC at grocery stores. Maybe a trip to Utah if I buy enough to save $1 a card!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
Originally Posted by silver6054
Your drug stores have VGC at $3.95? Here they are $4.95 (OV at CVS for example) and $5.95 for VGC at grocery stores. Maybe a trip to Utah if I buy enough to save $1 a card!
Oh man...Im giving myself a facepalm right now! I've been focusing on PayPal my cash cards for $3.95 the past few months and completely confused the activation fees up. No, nothing special here in Utah...cvs and Walgreens OV for $4.95 and kroger (US bank issued) are $5.95. Sorry for my confusion!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
So UPS Man showed up at the door with 10 envelopes containing $72K in AGC's (thought I only ordered $62K) Took off on a Walmart run. First 2 stores no problem. Arrived at the 3rd and hit a "only cash or debit" cashier who called a manager and I was shot down, store policy. Off to WM market where I was turned down flat, but it had a working Kate so loaded and waited then loaded and waited. No MO's from that one for some reason. I kept getting the evil eye from the cashier who kept walking by me. Off to the 4th for the day where they were out of sunnies, but the MO was working on Kate, so hung out for some. No bench so waited on bags of rock salt for water softeners (ouch). Offed $10K for the day, and now out for another 4 stores and a bank for the MO Deposit. Biggest order for AGC's ever. I don't know how the $100K a month people do it!!

Cheers!
JudyJFLA
Of course I find the final $10K order is not showing on TCB. here we go!!

Last edited by JudyJFLA; Mar 14, 2015 at 12:19 am
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: RR, QS, AS MP, SPG
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
So UPS Man showed up at the door with 10 envelopes containing $72K in AGC's (thought I only ordered $62K) Took off on a Walmart run. First 2 stores no problem with multiple cashiers with $1K for each, doing $4-5K per store. Arrived at the 3rd and was fine at the first cashier, then hit a "only cash or debit" cashier who called a manager and I was shot down, store policy. I did not want to get the other cashier in trouble with a "but cashier #4 sold them to me" line. Off to WM market where I was turned down flat, but it had a working Kate so loaded and waited then loaded and waited. No MO's from that one for some reason. I kept getting the evil eye from the cashier who kept walking by me. Off to the 4th for the day where they were out of sunnies, but the MO was working on Kate, so hung out for some. No bench so waited on bags of rock salt for water softeners (ouch). Offed $10K for the day, and now out for another 4 stores and a bank for the MO Deposit. Biggest order for AGC's ever. I don't know how the $100K a month people do it!!

Cheers!
JudyJFLA
Of course I find the final $10K order is not showing on TCB. here we go!!
WOW, that's incredible... I'm going to make my first "test" purchase via TCB and Amex sometime this week... Not nearly $72k.. More like $1k or so... Wow, still just incredible to read about the huge orders and whatnot.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:55 am

deleted

Last edited by oozze; Mar 15, 2015 at 5:40 pm
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:56 am

Look for another WM. Each store has its own policy. My goto store don't have any VGC except holiday season(Nov to Jan) but another WMT 3 mile away has hundreds of VGCs anytime.

The individual WMT also change the policy to hard code to allow CC or not from time to time. If I found a spare VGC now in my goto WMT, I will beg it is hard code not to allow CC until next November.

Originally Posted by oozze
Just want to clear, you went to WMT to buy VGC?
I havent seen any VGC in any WMT near me.
lucky you!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:04 am

You can get VGC from grocery stores too. The entire Kroger chain sells them and allows CC to purchase. They always check my ID though.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Second day of major Walmart adventure's, How do you few with $100K a month deal with the time it takes to flip them into VGC's? have a connection that lets you buy $10K at a time instead of $1K? Still, I have done $22K in 2 days of the $72K.
You need to look for the Sunrise bank ones, look on the rotating examples from their website. I usually have the best luck with the Birthday ones, the cashiers think it is such a big gift for some lucky person!
https://www.walmartgift.com/wmgift
Cheers!

JudyJFLA
PS, can we still use AGC at CVS for $500 VGC's I have not set foot in one since the VR's died. With 30 of them in my county, it might be easier than WM when I end up on a wanted poster there!!

Last edited by JudyJFLA; Mar 14, 2015 at 12:22 am
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Second day of major Walmart adventure's, hopping from 1 cashier to another for $5K per store. I learned to never go to the register by the cigarettes, they are the ego's of the store. One turned me down flat, another said Csh or Dbt only and I said, well the other cashiers did not have a problem, then said, fine I will come back another day. He said that since I had already made a purchase I had to go to the Customer service desk even if I did not want them (SAR?) He closed his register and led me there!!!! First woman said it was her break time and second guy did not know how to do anything, cashier then handed me over to a floor CSR who just opened up a register and sold them to me with no problem!!! I told him I had no problem with paperwork, but he treated me like an ISIS member! Wonder why they sell them then give you grief when you buy them. How do you few with $100K a month deal with the time it takes to flip them into VGC's? have a connection that lets you buy $10K at a time instead of $1K? Still, I have done $22K in 2 days of the $72K.
You need to look for the Sunrise bank ones, look on the rotating examples from their website. I usually have the best luck with the Birthday ones, the cashiers think it is such a big gift for some lucky person!
https://www.walmartgift.com/wmgift
Cheers!

JudyJFLA
PS, can we still use AGC at CVS for $500 VGC's I have not set foot in one since the VR's died. With 30 of them in my county, it might be easier than WM when I end up on a wanted poster there!!
You can't buy more than $2K VGCs at CVS every 24 hours. Some cashiers at CVS have a problem with buying gift cards with AGCs even if they're personalized.

I bought one tampered Sunrise GC at WM about 2 weeks ago (See gift card fraud thread). Since I paid with an AGC I can't do the dispute. Dealing with WM resolution center is a big PITA.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Hi all,
I bought 4K AGC with Arrival on 3/6. Received AGCs yesterday, Barclay points posted (points increase suggest a regular purchase) but transaction disappeared from posted/temporary. Available credit shows as if purchase never happened. I dont recall seeing this process before as transaction directly went from temporary to posted. Any similar experience? Thx!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingcheap
Hi all,
I bought 4K AGC with Arrival on 3/6. Received AGCs yesterday, Barclay points posted (points increase suggest a regular purchase) but transaction disappeared from posted/temporary. Available credit shows as if purchase never happened. I dont recall seeing this process before as transaction directly went from temporary to posted. Any similar experience? Thx!
This happens regularly when ordering the Personalized cards. It takes them long enough to process the order that the Temporary charge falls off, and the actual charge isn't posted until the cards are shipped.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by flyingcheap
Hi all,
Pretty much everyone has experienced that...which is why its in the wiki.

What is with the charge disappearing from my credit card?
Once the order is placed you will see a pending charge on your CC account. Quite often once the card ships this pending is removed but does not show as a charge. Don't panic (or celebrate) it will show up as a charge within a day or so.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:35 am

What's the longest it has taken a charge for AGCs to post? I ordered 2 2k personalized agcs on 2 different Southwest cards over a week ago as part of earning my companion pass. Its been over a week and no charge has hit either card, the charges never even showed up as pending. Has anyone experienced this? I know I don't have free money I just want to earn my companion pass!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by daedge
I was wondering if that is the case with Amex GC purchases. Specifically, does the Citi Double Cash MC count this as a purchase?
Originally Posted by AnInfrequentFlyer
I don't have the Double Cash MC, but I am interested in eventually getting one to use for Amex GC.
Citi Double Cash card transactions post as purchase (CA limit was set to $0) but only receive 1% cashback for the purchase and DO NOT receive the additional 1% for the payment. It was explained that charges made within the given merchant category are not considered true purchases, but are considered a transfer of funds from one form to another.

UPDATE:
Based on receiving a CB adjustment several months later and the CB reports of others it seems a change was made to allow the full 2% CB.

Last edited by zenride; Aug 11, 2015 at 9:17 pm
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
What's the longest it has taken a charge for AGCs to post? I ordered 2 2k personalized agcs on 2 different Southwest cards over a week ago as part of earning my companion pass. Its been over a week and no charge has hit either card, the charges never even showed up as pending. Has anyone experienced this? I know I don't have free money I just want to earn my companion pass!
Amex doesn't charge your CC until your order is approved and the package has been shipped. From the date your package is shipped, it is the typical 2-3 business days from that date. The length of when Amex can take to charge your CC is totally dependent on how slammed they are with AGC orders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.