Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc. (2015)

Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: XP1
Please read the wiki before posting a question.

UPDATE: 08/21/2015

Lucky Rewards: 1% Personal; 2% Business
TopCashBack: 1.5% Personal; 2.25% business (11/10 only)
BeFrugal: 2.25% personal & business
Simply Best Coupons: 1.5% personal & business
Ebates: 1%
USAA 1% Personal; 2% Business

For other cash back or airline portals, check here: http://www.cashbackmonitor.com/Cashb...erican+express

Public Service Announcement: Do NOT use fee-free codes or free shipping codes if you want portal cashback / miles. CB/Miles will post and then be clawed back.

As of 1/29 most portals have added new terms that denominations over $2000 are not eligible for cashback.

As of 8/21/15 many portals have added new terms that denominations over $200 are not eligible for cashback. As smart as we all are we have no idea if this will be enforced on PERSONALIZED (Keyword: Personalized) orders. It has been CONFIRMED that they will NOT pay out on non-personalized orders.

FAQ

Will it post as a cash advance (CA)?
Citi AA Visa/Amex posted as purchase (7/2015)
Citi Dividend Amex posted as purchase (01/09/2016)
Citi Double Cash posted as purchase (7/8/2015, 8/11/2015)
Citi Exec posted as purchase
Citi HHonors posted as purchase (2/17/15, 5/4/15)
Citi Prestige posted as purchase (5/20/15)
Citi Thank You Premier posted as purchase (7/2015)

Cards from Chase, BoA, FIA, Barclay, AMEX, CapitalOne, US Bank, Discover, HSBC, etc., have posted as purchase. PNC Visa Cashbuilder - posts as purchase but does not earn CC rewards

Note: Some issuers (Discover, US Bank, etc.) will decline the authorization if it exceeds your CA limit. This does NOT mean it will post as CA. It simply means you need to lower the purchase amount below your CA limit for authorization, but it ultimately posts as a purchase.

How do I set PIN on AMEX Gift Cards and use as debit to load Bluebird, buy MOs, etc.
You cannot set PIN or use them as debit to load Bluebird, buy MOs, etc. You can only use them as credit where AMEX is accepted.

How do I cash out AMEX Gift Cards?
Use manufactured spend techniques (buy Visa/MC GCs, AFT, etc.) or normal spend where AMEX is accepted.

Why buy AMEX Gift Cards then?
To reduce the cost of manufactured spend, to mask your manufactured spend (i.e unusual high spend at Target or CVS), earn additional cash back on spend, or meet minimum spend targets faster.

Next day shipping that isn't?
The next day shipping is from when they ship the cards to UPS, which can be as long as 10 days from the order submission if you order personalized cards (more recently this has been under a week). For next day shipping, you are notified late night (once your card finishes processing, see above) and the package arrive that same morning before 10:30AM in your area.

What is with the charge disappearing from my credit card?
Once the order is placed you will see a pending charge on your CC account. Quite often once the card ships this pending is removed but does not show as a charge. Don't panic (or celebrate) it will show up as a charge within a day or so.

Personalized GCs?
Either Biz or Personal GCs can be personalized with your name. This helps when shaky cashiers who demand to see your card are prevalent. These take approximately 4 biz days to arrive compared to the non personalized which arrives as quickly as the next day.

UPS Tracking?
If you logged in to your AMEX account when placing the order you can get tracking info by logging in to your AMEX account and clicking on cards > gift cards > order history > order details. Unfortunately tracking information may not appear until well after your order has shipped so it's best to sign up for UPS My Choice http://www.ups.com/mychoice/ to get faster tracking info and reroute your package if needed. Since UPS may drop your package off at the door if you're not home, it will be useful to know when your package will arrive.

Do I have to sign for the package?
Rule of thumb, YMMV:
- Non-personalized orders $4k or less will just be left at your door.
- Non-personalized orders $5k or greater must be signed for in person. These cannot be routed to a UPS store or customer center for pickup. UPS will attempt a delivery 3 consecutive business days. If you are not available to sign for the package, it will be returned to Amex.
- Personalized orders of any amount will just be left at your door. These orders can be routed to a UPS store or customer center for pickup.

The portal terms indicate that coupon codes will invalidate cash back. Is this true?
Yes (as of July 2014)

What are the purchase limits? (Updated June 2015)
Regular
100K personal every 14 days (Portals still state 10K personal every 14 days, however confirmations by FT'ers suggest this is not enforced).
100K business every 14 days

Personalized/Custom
5K personal per order
75K business per order

Portal Limits
Most CB portals state that they only payout out on cards worth $2,000 or less. In other words, if you buy a $3,000 card you will not get cash back from the portals (per their terms). You may buy multiple $2,000 cards in a single order and be fine. Several people have reported success buying up to $2999 per card, but YMMV.

Do declined orders count toward the purchase limits?
YMMV

Do fees and shipping count toward the purchase limits?
No

Why was my purchase declined by AMEX?
There are several possibilities:
- Your billing address does not match 100% with what the credit card company has on file. This could be anything from apt/suite/condo # on the wrong line to zip code requiring 9 digits instead of 5. If your first purchase does not go through, call your bank or login to your acct to verify that this matches what you used.
- You have gone over the $10k every 14 day limit on personal gift card purchase. (This limit may no longer apply as of April 2015)
- Even if you are sure the first two are correct as you have ordered before on that card and it's been more than 14 days, you might still get declined. No one has any idea why.
- You placed a business order and you don't really have a business (at some point AMEX does a background check for a valid business) or you have exceeded the 14 day limit for business orders.
- You don't have enough longevity ordering AMEX gift cards. Some have noticed a much higher decline rate the first year (2013) even with all information correct, compared to two years later, 2015, if ordering regularly (several orders monthly). (added 7/5/15)

My order was declined but my credit card still shows a pending authorization. How long until this falls off and my credit line is freed up?
I typically takes 1 week for the pending authorization to fall off after a declined order.

Can I order from the business side using a personal card? Or does it need to be a business card?
You can use whatever credit card you want to pay for business or personal orders. About the only restriction is you can't use an AMEX GC to buy another AMEX GC.

How long will it take the portal to track my order and confirm the pending cash back or points?
For non-Cartera portals (TCB, BC, Befrugal, etc) your order will usually track within a day or two.
For Cartera portals (Barclay Reward Boost, Lucky Rewards, USAA, Alaska, Delta) it will take 3-4 weeks to track.

My orders are not tracking. How can I maximize the chances the portal will track my order properly?
Use a browser you do not normally use (Chrome, Firefox, Opera), reset all browser settings to defaults, clear all browser cookies, disable all browser add-ons, and close/re-start your browser before navigating to the portal and placing your order. Do NOT use promotional coupon codes. The vast majority of tracking issues result from use of coupon codes, a bad browser cookie, improperly configured browser settings, or add-ons that interfere with cookie tracking.

Can I load Serve/RB/BB with an AGC?
No. AGCs process as credit. They do not function like a VGC w/debit.

Why am I getting 1.5% instead of 2.25%?
Be sure you're clicking through and buying the business version. The consumer one pays 1.5%.

This thread is a continuation of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...s-etc-648.html
Print Wikipost

Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc. (2015)

Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HikerT
Imagine if posting a question here involved clicking on a check box before hitting submit... "Yes, I've read the wiki, I still have a question."
That concept is too obscure for me to process. I'd rather try to explain string theory to my cat than explain reading to the average FT poster
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Also, can anyone care to elaborate on biz AGC orders? I have read the wiki and many of that last 100 pages of posts and I'm still a bit confused. The wiki states that at some point amex will do a check for a valid business...has anyone had any issues at all placing biz orders using an amex biz card? I would assume amex would verify business if say a visa or MC was used??
They verify your business using your EIN. The card you use to pay does not matter.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:56 am
Suspended

Can anyone help answer this question. I just placed an order for personal 10k using amex platinum card last week and order was approved and shipped. If I go and make another purchase on the business side for say another 10k, before 14 days of the personal, would the biz order get approved as well? I would be using my amex biz gold. Do you think the portals would consider the biz order part of the 100k limit and allow this or being I just placed the max 10k on personal, I would have to wait the 14 days and then place my biz order? I guess I could always just try and see what happens...worst they could do is decline.

Also, can anyone care to elaborate on biz AGC orders? I have read the wiki and many of that last 100 pages of posts and I'm still a bit confused. The wiki states that at some point amex will do a check for a valid business...has anyone had any issues at all placing biz orders using an amex biz card? I would assume amex would verify business if say a visa or MC was used??
From the Wiki

What are the purchase limits? (Updated Dec 2014)
10K personal every 14 days

Having a business card does not mean you have a business.
You do not need a business card to order business card.
At some point Amex will likely verify that you have a legitimate business - as in you have a registered business, EIN, Tax ID, etc.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Stoughton
At some point Amex will likely verify that you have a legitimate business - as in you have a registered business, EIN, Tax ID, etc.
Here's an idea I've toyed around with, but have not ever tried.

We have several trusts within my family. A trust is a tax-paying entity, and therefore has its own EIN.

Does anyone order business GCs using a family trust as the business?

I can see that this might be very legit. For example, if the trust distributes income to various family members, a GC might be one way to distribute money to someone.

It still feels a little funny to me, though. The trust doesn't have its own credit card accounts, so I'd be ordering GCs for the trust but paying for those GCs with my own personal or business credit card accounts. So I'm still not sure if this meets the smell test.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
Originally Posted by Stoughton
From the Wiki

What are the purchase limits? (Updated Dec 2014)
10K personal every 14 days

Having a business card does not mean you have a business.
You do not need a business card to order business card.

I understand the limits, I was just curious if anyone has had luck with being able to get both 10k in personal and then more with biz, within 14-days.

The way I understood it, from the wiki, was you can use either personal or biz card but amex will eventually verify...I assumed they may check if it's a biz card or not. Thanks for the clarification on needing a registered business. I actually have a legitimate sole-proprietorship that I have on the side and get 1099'd as a contractor but it's not a "registered business". Can you remember any accounts of people getting verified and what would be needed to verify? Do you think a sole-proprietorship such as myself, would be a valid business to be able to purcahse biz AGC? I don't know, however, if I can justify making 100k in business gift card purchases given my revenue is 1/4 that . Thanks for any info you can provide!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:58 am

Just like any other MS or training a new card. You can't ramp from 0-100. Start slow. Figure out what works and what doesn't. It's all very YMMV.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

New to me: three orders came in one overnight envelope with UPS.

Suddenly, they're paying attention to their shipping costs?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:22 pm

I experienced the reverse last month. Ordered 5K of personalized cards (3K and 2K) in one order. The cards were shipped in a separate UPS envelopes.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HikerT
I experienced the reverse last month. Ordered 5K of personalized cards (3K and 2K) in one order. The cards were shipped in a separate UPS envelopes.
All of my personalized orders come like this.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
All of my personalized orders come like this.
Even when the cards in the order are the same denomination?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The way I understood it, from the wiki, was you can use either personal or biz card but amex will eventually verify...I assumed they may check if it's a biz card or not. Thanks for the clarification on needing a registered business. I actually have a legitimate sole-proprietorship that I have on the side and get 1099'd as a contractor but it's not a "registered business". Can you remember any accounts of people getting verified and what would be needed to verify? Do you think a sole-proprietorship such as myself, would be a valid business to be able to purcahse biz AGC? I don't know, however, if I can justify making 100k in business gift card purchases given my revenue is 1/4 that . Thanks for any info you can provide!
I can confirm that AMEX does check if you have a registered business. They actually called me to inquire about the mailing address I had on my business registration with the state being different than the mailing address requested for the gift cards. I needed to update it with the state from an old address which I did. I did not provide AMEX with the business registration information, they pulled it on their own. So you do need to have a legitimately registered business.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:11 am

BeFrugal @ 2.2%

Somebody who can, please update the wiki...
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by smilesbuzz
BeFrugal @ 2.2%

done
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:18 am

How long does it normally take for BeFrugal to track?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by smilesbuzz
BeFrugal @ 2.2%

Not showing up for me. Do others see this offer? Did they already take this down?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.