Amex MR Everyday Amex Spend Method(s)

Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Amex MR Everyday Amex Spend Method(s)

I have many cards now and am managing ok. It will get easier once I let my Arrival go in March.

But, this new card; I'm just not sure how to effectively utilize. Especially with the 20 transaction linked bonus.

What else can be done beyond 15-$1 small fry purchases? BTW, it's the non-preferred card with no AF.

Thanks for polite replies.

(Placed in this sub forum, rather than AMEX, because the content is about usage and spend, not Amex specifics.)

Last edited by jan_believes; Jan 29, 2015 at 9:04 pm Reason: Clarify card type
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:32 pm

Amazon e-gift cards
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Until you hit the minimum spend events, no reason to fill up your gas tank and no reason to do weekly grocery shopping. $10 top-ups at the tank, and fresh food every night for dinner.

Yes, it's a little time consuming, but this card is calling out for that. I went into a Rite Aid tonight to check my blood pressure, a stop I usually make whether I'm buying anything or not. With the Everyday card, I'm searching out the $1 box of tissues or buying a pack of gum.

Once you've hit the minimum spend events, then this card gets used for any everyday purchase that gets no category bonus from another card. 1.5 MR for spend that would otherwise get me 1 MR, 1 UR, 1 SPG (admittedly 1.25 airline miles, eventually), 1 TYP. I think the answer is obvious.

After all, this is the business we've chosen. . .
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:08 pm

If you have the 3x grocery stores and 50% bonus card and a grocery store around that sells VGC (say, $7 fee for $500) and access to $1 debit money orders, you can get ~2280 MR per 500 VGC. Go buy 12. $96 = 27k MR, or $.0035 per.

(Obviously this only helps for one month, 12 transactions.)

I just went into my grocery store and bought one thing at a time - stuff I needed. I also live across the street from my grocery store.

(Math is 507 * 3 * 1.5 on the VGC)
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No fee version is 20% bonus with 20 transactions per month. Grocery is 2x capped at 6K per calendar year, no other category bonus but if you are lucky your card may be targeted for some nice AMEX offers such as $15/$15 at AMZN, or $25/$100 at Staples.com things like that.

Preferred has $95 AF but 50% bonus with 30 transactions per month. Gas is 2x uncapped. Grocery is 3x capped at 6K per calendar year.

You can do your own method of calculation based on your own situation. All the pertinent info is listed above.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 23, 2015 at 9:22 pm Reason: correct transposing error.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Preferred has $95 AF but 50% bonus with 30 transactions per month. Gas is 3x uncapped. Grocery is 2x capped at 6K per calendar year.
Preferred is 3X at grocery to 6k per year, 2X gas uncapped.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:50 pm

I think if you try to do it at stores you frequent, you'll find yourself buying things that are really cheap, but that you really don't need and are buying just to hit the transaction threshold.

I would say gas would be your best bet. You can pull into a gas station and use your card twice each time. Even if it's only for a couple dollars each time. Just make sure it's a different amount (i.e. $2.00, $1.98). It takes very little time and you know you're not wasting money on frivolous things just to get transactions.

I did this for a BoA checking/savings accounts that had the Keep the Change bonus up to $250. Hit the gas station on the way to work for $1.01 and $1.02. Then on the way home for $1.03 and $1.04.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
go through the self service check out lanes much easier and faster than the gas pumps.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miadeals
Preferred is 3X at grocery to 6k per year, 2X gas uncapped.
You are right. Corrected the transposing typo.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MG49
I think if you try to do it at stores you frequent, you'll find yourself buying things that are really cheap, but that you really don't need and are buying just to hit the transaction threshold.

I would say gas would be your best bet. You can pull into a gas station and use your card twice each time. Even if it's only for a couple dollars each time. Just make sure it's a different amount (i.e. $2.00, $1.98). It takes very little time and you know you're not wasting money on frivolous things just to get transactions.

I did this for a BoA checking/savings accounts that had the Keep the Change bonus up to $250. Hit the gas station on the way to work for $1.01 and $1.02. Then on the way home for $1.03 and $1.04.
Probably would trigger fraud alert prompto.

I am surprised BofA does not give you a fraud alert when you do that.

Barclays US card gave me a fraud alert when I had WD's fuel perk to completely pay for the gas but the pump would still charge $0.109 for "equipment fee" - a fill up was like $1.14. Found my card was locked up and would not even be able to log in Barclays account online. Called and was told the charge at the pump was highly suspicious as it has been a favored method for crooks to test cards.

The small payments at grocery stores seem far easier and quicker too.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:26 pm

Probably would trigger fraud alert prompto.

I am surprised BofA does not give you a fraud alert when you do that.

Barclays US card gave me a fraud alert when I had WD's fuel perk to completely pay for the gas but the pump would still charge $0.109 for "equipment fee" - a fill up was like $1.14. Found my card was locked up and would not even be able to log in Barclays account online. Called and was told the charge at the pump was highly suspicious as it has been a favored method for crooks to test cards.

The small payments at grocery stores seem far easier and quicker too.
Didn't think of that. Probably true for a credit card. For me, it was a BoA debit card coming out of my checking. Never got a fraud alert at all. I did have other regular spend in there as well.

Not sure if they still offer it. They rounded your purchases up to the next dollar and put the change in your savings account. They matched it 100% for the first 3 months. I managed to get to $249 in those 3 months.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't think of that. Probably true for a credit card. For me, it was a BoA debit card coming out of my checking. Never got a fraud alert at all. I did have other regular spend in there as well.

Not sure if they still offer it. They rounded your purchases up to the next dollar and put the change in your savings account. They matched it 100% for the first 3 months. I managed to get to $249 in those 3 months.
I know the Keep the Change program. It is discontinued or no longer offered to new sign up long time ago if I am not mistaken. Long time ago it was for a year.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:06 pm

I know the Keep the Change program. It is discontinued or no longer offered to new sign up long time ago if I am not mistaken. Long time ago it was for a year.
The one I had was for a year total. But the first 3 months they matched 100% of what was rounded and put in savings up to a max of $250. After the 3 months, they only matched 5%. Wasn't really worth it after the first 3 months, but the gas method got me to the $250.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.

Thanks for responses.

I played that game with BOA, too. Only made about $83 or so, but at least, it was something. That was during the economic downturn.

I currently do the $1 gas thing after I do my 10 chintzy debits from my Wells Fargo because I got a bonus and now I am fighting off the $10 monthly service fee after I got my account opening bonus of $100. Surprisingly, their customer service options I use have been useful. So, I have about 25 small fry purchases to cover monthly between this new Amex and the W-F debit. Unless I get better advice here.

Still open to ideas....^
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by jan_believes
Thanks for responses.

I played that game with BOA, too. Only made about $83 or so, but at least, it was something. That was during the economic downturn.

I currently do the $1 gas thing after I do my 10 chintzy debits from my Wells Fargo because I got a bonus and now I am fighting off the $10 monthly service fee after I got my account opening bonus of $100. Surprisingly, their customer service options I use have been useful. So, I have about 25 small fry purchases to cover monthly between this new Amex and the W-F debit. Unless I get better advice here.

Still open to ideas....^

My local Walgreens has some individually wrapped candies for $0.19-$0.39. I ring them up one at a time over a couple of visits and give them out to people for good karma.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.