Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This thread has begun a new tradition of annual master threads, this one on Visa Buxx. The previous 2003- 2014 megathread is here.

tcook052
MS Forum Moderator

Buxx cards can only be loaded with a Visa or MasterCard.

NW Buxx

•Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053 - ( the promo code appears to be working consistently)
•$2 load fee
•Max load per rolling 7 days: $500
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
•Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 charge…IME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
•Max spend per rolling 7 days: $800
•Max # of CC on file is 2.
•Max balance per card: $1000
•Max of 2 loads per CC per 7 day rolling period.

If you card fails to load, check to see if there are at least 7 calendar days between loads, make sure the load won't bring your card above the maximum balance, or try the other CC.

Funding with Citi cards codes as a purchase for NW Buxx.
TD Bank Go Buxx

•Can only be loaded with TD Bank credit cards, debit cards or direct deposit
•Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee
•Max load per day: $500
•Max load per 7 days: $2,000
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
•Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
•Max balance: $2,000
•Max transactions: no limit
•Max load per funding TD CC (across multiple teens): $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

TD Bank card loads are treated as purchases by TD Bank and earn points.

Cannot be used to pay CITI or Capital One cards by phone.

States not supported: AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY

USPS MOs count against the ATM withdrawal limit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.

USB Buxx (closed)

USB BUXX is closed:
Last day to load was Oct 24th, 2015.
Last day to use or withdraw all funds Dec 30th.
Cards closed Dec 31st
Transaction History available through 6/30/16

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.

Print Wikipost

VISA Buxx (2015)

Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by ual902
Can I purchase MO at walmart or anywhere else with NW VISA BUXX?.
WM worked for me last week
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:54 am

Yes, up to $800 or you need to split payment.

Originally Posted by ual902
Can I purchase MO at walmart or anywhere else with NW VISA BUXX?.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:26 pm

do you know why can't get 1% for the payment, loading to NW buxx will make double cash become single cash?

Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
Your questions are a bit vague so I'll try to answer in the only way which makes sense for me:
- NW Buxx does not code as CA but you don't get the 2nd 1% for the payment - only the 1st 1% for the charge
- I never use the NW Buxx for ATM w/d as it's a PITA. Unless you're very lucky you'll have to constantly call in and have the $1 fee reversed. A better way is to use the cashback feature at grocery stores (one bigbox retailer starting with "W" lets you take up to $100 along with each purchase!).
- US Buxx $500 ATM w/d per week is no problem at all
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:20 pm

Max # of CC on file for both is 2. Each has a max # of loads per card per 7 day rolling period (~3/4). If you card fails to load, first try to switch to another CC, second check to make sure there are at least 7 calendar days between loads.

What does "both" refer to here?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Songer5
So not sure I should edit/update the Wiki, but on the NW Buxx card, I was able to use my Citi DoubleCash card WITHOUT being hit with a Cash Advance.

BUT, when my statement closed, Citi told me that I would (a) earn 1% back on my NW Buxx GC purchase, but (b) NOT earn the other 1% on the payment.

I don't know if Citi actually knows what they're doing (or how accurate the CSR was), but until I hear otherwise, I'm gonna go with another card other than Citi DC to load Buxx.
Originally Posted by Trevon
do you know why can't get 1% for the payment, loading to NW buxx will make double cash become single cash?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Originally Posted by Trevon
Not 100% sure but I think it's because Nationwide is coded as a financial institution and FI's are not eligible or something along those lines.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:03 am

Look like 5K is still the max.

I just loaded 10 X 500 load within 2 weeks using the same CC.

I will try to see if 11 load works next week.

Originally Posted by psykopath515
Thanks.

Also, I feel like they lowered the max per CC from 5k to 3k.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:30 pm

Regarding the NW Buxx; anyway around loading more than $1k to the card within 30 days?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:19 pm

There is another option that is not covered in the Wiki. You can sign up for a card at Buxx.com and it's not branded with any of the banks mentioned.

Max CC load/transaction: $250
Fee/transaction: $2.50

So it's essentially a 1% fee to load.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by GordonBombay
There is another option that is not covered in the Wiki. You can sign up for a card at Buxx.com and it's not branded with any of the banks mentioned.

Max CC load/transaction: $250
Fee/transaction: $2.50

So it's essentially a 1% fee to load.
Buxx has a monthly fee - 5 bucks

Monthly Service Fee: $4.95 (per month, per Card)
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:13 pm

February idiocy

Have 2 teens and NW Buxx cards are set to load automatically on the first and 15 of each month.

For some reason teen son's buxx card did not load on Feb 15. I didn't have time to call (always an hour on the phone) and let it slide. On March 1, son's card loaded but daughter's didn't. Called and was on the phone with them for 1.5 hours (1 hour rep, 30 min supervisor). Was told they would call back with info as why it didn't load in a few days. A week goes by and no emails or calls. Call again today. Turns out that their automatic load doesn't work in February as it ends up loading more than 1K in 30 days (Feb has only 28). Son's load only went thru due to the previous month's glitch.

Can't load now manually as that will throw off the following month. Caveat emptor...
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:29 pm

i would appreciate if someone can tell me if TD CC earn points with TD Buxx loads?
Anyone have the TD credit card can attest to this either yes or no?
If you wish to Pm me that would be great as well.
The Wiki does not mention if points are earned....
Thank you

Last edited by jptravels4fun; Mar 11, 2015 at 5:16 pm
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, SWA, United, British Air, Jet Blue, Alaska
February idiocy

Originally Posted by fafa123
Have 2 teens and NW Buxx cards are set to load automatically on the first and 15 of each month.

For some reason teen son's buxx card did not load on Feb 15. I didn't have time to call (always an hour on the phone) and let it slide. On March 1, son's card loaded but daughter's didn't. Called and was on the phone with them for 1.5 hours (1 hour rep, 30 min supervisor). Was told they would call back with info as why it didn't load in a few days. A week goes by and no emails or calls. Call again today. Turns out that their automatic load doesn't work in February as it ends up loading more than 1K in 30 days (Feb has only 28). Son's load only went thru due to the previous month's glitch.

Can't load now manually as that will throw off the following month. Caveat emptor...
This is a request for someone to update the wiki. Even though it is 'all there' for someone to do the math, a simple footnote that says something like:

"warning, if you do 1st and 15th auto loads (only allowed on NW Buxx), your March 1 auto load will fail due to breaking the 30 day window. You will have to manually adjust Jan/Feb/Mar if you want to stay on a roll."

For 2016, you will only need to adjust Jan/Feb because you get 29 days!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:31 pm

TD Buxx

Originally Posted by jptravels4fun
i would appreciate if someone can tell me if TD CC earn points with TD Buxx loads?
Anyone have the TD credit card can attest to this either yes or no?
If you wish to Pm me that would be great as well.
The Wiki does not mention if points are earned....
Thank you

Yes, TD Buxx loads earn TD CC points.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by fafa123

I ran into the issue initially on my USB Buxx of why it wasn't loading on 3/1 from my previous load on 2/1. I then thought ...oh yeah February only has 28 days and its a rolling 30 days. It didn't take me that long to figure it out. Yes February is an odd month and it does screw up the dates for the following months but ehh..what are you going to do. The best thing for USB would be to switch to a monthly load limit instead of stupid rolling 30 days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.