Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This thread has begun a new tradition of annual master threads, this one on Visa Buxx. The previous 2003- 2014 megathread is here.

tcook052
MS Forum Moderator

Buxx cards can only be loaded with a Visa or MasterCard.

NW Buxx

•Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053 - ( the promo code appears to be working consistently)
•$2 load fee
•Max load per rolling 7 days: $500
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
•Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 charge…IME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
•Max spend per rolling 7 days: $800
•Max # of CC on file is 2.
•Max balance per card: $1000
•Max of 2 loads per CC per 7 day rolling period.

If you card fails to load, check to see if there are at least 7 calendar days between loads, make sure the load won't bring your card above the maximum balance, or try the other CC.

Funding with Citi cards codes as a purchase for NW Buxx.
TD Bank Go Buxx

•Can only be loaded with TD Bank credit cards, debit cards or direct deposit
•Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee
•Max load per day: $500
•Max load per 7 days: $2,000
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
•Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
•Max balance: $2,000
•Max transactions: no limit
•Max load per funding TD CC (across multiple teens): $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

TD Bank card loads are treated as purchases by TD Bank and earn points.

Cannot be used to pay CITI or Capital One cards by phone.

States not supported: AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY

USPS MOs count against the ATM withdrawal limit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.

USB Buxx (closed)

USB BUXX is closed:
Last day to load was Oct 24th, 2015.
Last day to use or withdraw all funds Dec 30th.
Cards closed Dec 31st
Transaction History available through 6/30/16

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.

Print Wikipost

VISA Buxx (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:41 pm

I can confirm that they allow the fifth (I was the one asking questions last page and have subsequently opened the second account)

I haven't tried adding the 6th or 7th yet : D
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:03 am

So, is the issue with new cards taking a long time resolved yet? Yes, I've read the past few pages, but just because some people reported major delays doesn't mean everyone is getting delayed. I want to know if anyone ordered recently and got it in a reasonable amount of time.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:00 am

I tried funding a credit card (i only have two teen accounts) that I haven't loaded in about 5 months. It was denied, my other teen was loaded correctly ( i load my two teens at teh same time twice a month on scheduled monthly loads). All the information is in my NW account properly and there are no timing issues with regards to scheduling properly. Any ideas? It's my club carlson card I'm trying to load which I've done in the past without issue.

Last edited by DeltaNeutral28; Dec 2, 2015 at 7:11 am Reason: .
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pritomd
I thought you can only have a max of 4 cards? How does the 5th come into play?
Originally Posted by mreloki
Go back one page.
Ah, I got it. As I also suggested on the previous page, this should be added to the Wiki IMO.

So this makes sense I suppose...make two parent accounts. Parent account 1 (P1) has 4 accounts, but P2 has 1. What happens if you try to make another teen account on P2? Does it tell you the max has been reached for the given address? Just curious since per account max is 4.
You don't need a 2nd parent to get the 5th teen. Just don't add all the teens at once. Space it out and you will be able to add the 5th teen to the same parent.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:06 am

Ah, I got it. As I also suggested on the previous page, this should be added to the Wiki IMO.

So this makes sense I suppose...make two parent accounts. Parent account 1 (P1) has 4 accounts, but P2 has 1. What happens if you try to make another teen account on P2? Does it tell you the max has been reached for the given address? Just curious since per account max is 4.
I have 5 under my address. 3 opened on my name as parent and 2 opened on my wife's name. I had no issues funding any of the cards with Citi premier, prestige & Chase Hyatt. I don't plan to add any more or experiment under my current address.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:17 am

CITI Double Cash use

For those that do not have easy ways of unloading, the ability to pay CITI cards by phone from this debit card is nice, which suggests getting CITI cards with this in mind. One set of such cards are those with nice sign up bonuses (Premier, Preferred, Hilton), but most of these for regular spending give rewards at about 1%.

The CITI Double Cash appears nice, but it is reported you cannot earn the double cash from loading a BUXX and then paying it by phone. As I understand it, you get the points from using it, but they disallow points from using it to pay CITI cards. However, an attractive feature of this card is a 0% offer for 15 months. In normal use, this reduces the present value of the second 1% on making payments since the payments may be delayed for a long time.

It appears a new Double Cash card could be used for loading, used to pay other CITI bills or for ordinary spending, thus getting 0% money without the expense of cash advance fees, or balance transfer fees. I hope this idea may be of use to someone.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:02 pm

Total BS. Who reported Double Cash doesn't pay for Buxx? I just checked my last statement and I got the 1% for both sides of the transactions, which included 6 debit card payments.

Originally Posted by ed765
For those that do not have easy ways of unloading, the ability to pay CITI cards by phone from this debit card is nice, which suggests getting CITI cards with this in mind. One set of such cards are those with nice sign up bonuses (Premier, Preferred, Hilton), but most of these for regular spending give rewards at about 1%.

The CITI Double Cash appears nice, but it is reported you cannot earn the double cash from loading a BUXX and then paying it by phone. As I understand it, you get the points from using it, but they disallow points from using it to pay CITI cards. However, an attractive feature of this card is a 0% offer for 15 months. In normal use, this reduces the present value of the second 1% on making payments since the payments may be delayed for a long time.

It appears a new Double Cash card could be used for loading, used to pay other CITI bills or for ordinary spending, thus getting 0% money without the expense of cash advance fees, or balance transfer fees. I hope this idea may be of use to someone.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:04 pm

NW buxx recently closed my account with 2 cards. Each had $1000 balance. This happened 3 weeks ago. I still didn't get refund from them. CSRs are clueless and just say I was supposed to get refund weeks ago. Every time I call they write escalation email to someone they say I cannot speak personally to. Did anyone have issues with getting refund from them? Any advice besides filing a chargebacks?

Last edited by unstableone; Dec 2, 2015 at 2:24 pm
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by unstableone
NW buxx recently closed my account with 2 cards. Each had $1000 balance. This happened 3 weeks ago. I still didn't get refund from them. CSRs are clueless and just say I was supposed to get refund weeks ago. Every time I call the write escalation email to someone they say I cannot speak personally too. Anyone had issues with refund? Any advice beside filing chargebacks?
Do you know why you got shut down? Did they give you a reason or do you suspect one?

Also, Does anyone know how often you can change funding sources before getting shut down. I have yet to change mine, but would like to...
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:53 pm

NW buxx recently closed my account with 2 cards. Each had $1000 balance. This happened 3 weeks ago. I still didn't get refund from them. CSRs are clueless and just say I was supposed to get refund weeks ago. Every time I call the write escalation email to someone they say I cannot speak personally too. Anyone had issues with refund? Any advice beside filing chargebacks?
You seem to be having some bad luck here. First Chase shut you down, then NationWide. What are you doing that is getting you on their Radar?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:22 pm

There was 3rd card on the account that didn't pass SSN verification check. They initially closed this card only. I couldn't get a refund for it for a long time, so I filed a chargeback. I assume this combination resulted in account closure.
They did let me to open 2nd account, but I have yet to receive the new card. That's why I'm trying to avoid going chargeback route.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:47 pm

There was 3rd card on the account that didn't pass SSN verification check. They initially closed this card only. I couldn't get a refund for it for a long time, so I filed a chargeback. I assume this combination resulted in account closure.
They did let me to open 2nd account, but I have yet to receive the new card. That's why I'm trying to avoid going chargeback route.
Darn good reason not to use a fake SSN like some folks advocated. Thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:29 am

How soon after setting up the account did the SSN verification check fail?

I'm assuming the SSN was not real. But, was it a valid SSN combination?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: Several dozen
Color within the lines folks. Using false social security numbers and identities is not where you want to go.

Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:53 am

TD Buxx

Given the report that using one TD card (Aeroplan) earned points, I applied for one.

It appears they did not charge any fee for it, just the load I put on it. I did not see a load fee charged either. Possibly now that they are limiting loads to their own cards, they are expecting to recover their costs through greater use of their cards (and associated interest fees etc.)

I will update the Wiki once this is confirmed.

I updated the Wiki to remove references to 2014 changes, since few will be interested in what was once true.

One possible use of these cards might be for emergencies. You could carry one abroad, leave it in the car, etc. with no, or only a small amount on it. If stolen the thief get nothing or little. If you need more funding you can add it quickly (possibly with key passwords etc. either remembered, or written down in a non-obvious manner), or possibly by calling a spouse or relative who has access to your funding card or account. Wallet stolen you use the BUXX left in car, or in hotel room, or hidden in luggage (after you, or a spouse, or a parent adds funds).

Last edited by ed765; Dec 3, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.