Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This thread has begun a new tradition of annual master threads, this one on Visa Buxx. The previous 2003- 2014 megathread is here.

tcook052
MS Forum Moderator

Buxx cards can only be loaded with a Visa or MasterCard.

NW Buxx

Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053 - ( the promo code appears to be working consistently)
$2 load fee
Max load per rolling 7 days: $500
Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 chargeIME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
Max spend per rolling 7 days: $800
Max # of CC on file is 2.
Max balance per card: $1000
Max of 2 loads per CC per 7 day rolling period.

If you card fails to load, check to see if there are at least 7 calendar days between loads, make sure the load won't bring your card above the maximum balance, or try the other CC.

Funding with Citi cards codes as a purchase for NW Buxx.
TD Bank Go Buxx

Can only be loaded with TD Bank credit cards, debit cards or direct deposit
Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee
Max load per day: $500
Max load per 7 days: $2,000
Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
Max balance: $2,000
Max transactions: no limit
Max load per funding TD CC (across multiple teens): $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

TD Bank card loads are treated as purchases by TD Bank and earn points.

Cannot be used to pay CITI or Capital One cards by phone.

States not supported: AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY

USPS MOs count against the ATM withdrawal limit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.

USB Buxx (closed)

USB BUXX is closed:
Last day to load was Oct 24th, 2015.
Last day to use or withdraw all funds Dec 30th.
Cards closed Dec 31st
Transaction History available through 6/30/16

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.

Print Wikipost

VISA Buxx (2015)

Old May 24, 2015, 9:52 am

You don't need to match parent's name. But you need to match the address.

Originally Posted by Light
Couldn't find the answer to this after digging past 10 pages.

Does the CC that you load with have to match the parent account's name?
Old May 24, 2015, 3:50 pm

Loading Redcard with NW Card

i thought I had read that you could load Redcard with Visa Buxx, but when I tried for the first time today it wouldn't accept it. Its a pin based debit card, no?

Anyone have any luck with this?
Old May 24, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by trey
i thought I had read that you could load Redcard with Visa Buxx, but when I tried for the first time today it wouldn't accept it. Its a pin based debit card, no?

Did the CSR or the POS system reject you?
Old May 24, 2015, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Light
Did the CSR or the POS system reject you?
System, multiple times and csrs.
Old May 24, 2015, 6:43 pm

No issues loading $500 yesterday.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:20 am

Did you hit your limit? I couldn't load my BB once because I didn't realize there was an unload limit too. I think it's $800 in 7 days. Either change the amount or wait a few days.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
I wonder how long it will take Nationwide Bank (a relatively small organisation at $6.2 Billion in assets) to see the increase in $800 Target "purchases" transacted on Visabuxx.

Sure, $200 cashback and ATM withdrawals have gone, un-noticed, for years - but $800 purchases are not "normal" for this product - let alone, all coming at Target.

PLEASE NOTE (for those not as familiar with the product) - the $800 load to REDCARD (rather than $200 ATM withdrawal x 4) does not increase the amount of MS you can do via Nationwide - as each card still only has a 30 day load limit of $1000

You get your money back faster - sure. But if you cannot afford to float - what, a couple of grand - for a few weeks - should you really be playing this game???

Use it while you can, but I fear this one will suffer the same fate as TD Go Card - yes, the product still exists, but after a relatively short time, credit card funding got shut down.

Pretty sure this will fall on deaf ears. As always, have other methods lined up and ready to go.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:58 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by forextrader
I wonder how long it will take Nationwide Bank (a relatively small organisation at $6.2 Billion in assets) to see the increase in $800 Target "purchases" transacted on Visabuxx.

Sure, $200 cashback and ATM withdrawals have gone, un-noticed, for years - but $800 purchases are not "normal" for this product - let alone, all coming at Target.

PLEASE NOTE (for those not as familiar with the product) - the $800 load to REDCARD (rather than $200 ATM withdrawal x 4) does not increase the amount of MS you can do via Nationwide - as each card still only has a 30 day load limit of $1000

You get your money back faster - sure. But if you cannot afford to float - what, a couple of grand - for a few weeks - should you really be playing this game???

Use it while you can, but I fear this one will suffer the same fate as TD Go Card - yes, the product still exists, but after a relatively short time, credit card funding got shut down.

Pretty sure this will fall on deaf ears. As always, have other methods lined up and ready to go.
^
I've noticed this thread has gotten many new posters since the RB shutdown. My area is very very difficult for MS. Since TD is no longer viable NW is all I have. Buxx has been around for a long time and I hope it continues.
It's only $1000 a month but it definitely helps meet my minimum spends.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
^
I've noticed this thread has gotten many new posters since the RB shutdown. My area is very very difficult for MS. Since TD is no longer viable NW is all I have. Buxx has been around for a long time and I hope it continues.
It's only $1000 a month but it definitely helps meet my minimum spends.
Feels like death is near....
Old May 25, 2015, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by robbierob03
*Sigh* Well my adventures at WM continue. The card that was declined yesterday morning has now gone into PFRAUD status this morning. Wish I had kept the receipt showing that both transactions were declined so I could send them in if asked, but alas I wasn't thinking about that. I'll call in and see what I can do, hopefully they can pull up my conversation with the CSR from yesterday and see that it was me trying to make the transactions.

Assuming the worst case scenario and the card is closed, how long will US Band hold onto the funds? Not worried about the float - just the frustration level.
This just happened to one of my cards. The cashier was unable to finish a split tender transaction and cancelled the whole thing, now it shows two charges and two reversals with PFRAUD. I tried calling but now their computer system is down. Does anyone know if this will fall off automatically or have to complete a call?
Old May 26, 2015, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by givingitatry
This just happened to one of my cards. The cashier was unable to finish a split tender transaction and cancelled the whole thing, now it shows two charges and two reversals with PFRAUD. I tried calling but now their computer system is down. Does anyone know if this will fall off automatically or have to complete a call?
i think Pfraud is not good news... Mine was closed after that status.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by coolblues
i think Pfraud is not good news... Mine was closed after that status.
This happened to me as well. The pfraud was due to multiple swipe attempts. After calling, they lifted the pfraud.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:26 pm

As I posted earlier in this thread, if you get pfraud status, you should call to lift it (should be fairly straightforward) and then immediately drain any remaining funds out! You might be lucky and get an analyst that won't care about the MS pattern, or you might be unlucky and get one that will freeze your account. One account got pfraud status (from doing two debit swipes for large amounts at Walmart). I called in and got it cleared, but the account was then permanently frozen (put into "fraud" status) after a couple days. US Bank refused to release the funds (<$50) still in the account. I'm pretty certain I could have gotten those funds back, but I wanted my other buxx account to remain active, so viewed this as a cost of doing MS.

Moral of the story - only do one large debit swipe per day using your US bank visabuxx card (though it can be a $2K swipe).

Last edited by paynea; May 26, 2015 at 7:39 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 7:35 pm

Thanks for answering my question a few pages back, Bluebirdie.

For the purposes of both feasibly liquidating the card as well as staying under NationWide's radar to prevent closure, would people recommend that I keep a teen card in my own name or in someone else's name? I currently have a parent account in my name with my own information, and I have a teen card with the information of an older relative.

I know that it would be easier to liquidate the teen card if it were in my own name. At the same time, I don't know if Nationwide would find that (having the parent account information being the same as the teen) to be suspicious.

I know that a lot of people maintain more than one teen card, but if I could only keep one, which would seem to be best?
Old May 26, 2015, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by paynea
As I posted earlier in this thread, if you get pfraud status, you should call to lift it (should be fairly straightforward) and then immediately drain any remaining funds out! You might be lucky and get an analyst that won't care about the MS pattern, or you might be unlucky and get one that will freeze your account. One account got pfraud status (from doing two debit swipes for large amounts at Walmart). I called in and got it cleared, but the account was then permanently frozen (put into "fraud" status) after a couple days. US Bank refused to release the funds (<$50) still in the account. I'm pretty certain I could have gotten those funds back, but I wanted my other buxx account to remain active, so viewed this as a cost of doing MS.

Moral of the story - only do one large debit swipe per day using your US bank visabuxx card (though it can be a $2K swipe).

My problem was the cashier wouldn't listen to me on how to do split tender and had to cancel the transaction to start over, then fudged it again. I had two swipes and two reversals but no actual transaction.

Update, just logged in to check the value of the problem transactions and the card shows Active. i will heed your suggestion and drain the card, then wait the 3 weeks to reload. might slow it down for a month.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.