Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This thread has begun a new tradition of annual master threads, this one on Visa Buxx. The previous 2003- 2014 megathread is here.

tcook052
MS Forum Moderator

Buxx cards can only be loaded with a Visa or MasterCard.

NW Buxx

•Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053 - ( the promo code appears to be working consistently)
•$2 load fee
•Max load per rolling 7 days: $500
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
•Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 charge…IME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
•Max spend per rolling 7 days: $800
•Max # of CC on file is 2.
•Max balance per card: $1000
•Max of 2 loads per CC per 7 day rolling period.

If you card fails to load, check to see if there are at least 7 calendar days between loads, make sure the load won't bring your card above the maximum balance, or try the other CC.

Funding with Citi cards codes as a purchase for NW Buxx.
TD Bank Go Buxx

•Can only be loaded with TD Bank credit cards, debit cards or direct deposit
•Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee
•Max load per day: $500
•Max load per 7 days: $2,000
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
•Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
•Max balance: $2,000
•Max transactions: no limit
•Max load per funding TD CC (across multiple teens): $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

TD Bank card loads are treated as purchases by TD Bank and earn points.

Cannot be used to pay CITI or Capital One cards by phone.

States not supported: AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY

USPS MOs count against the ATM withdrawal limit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.

USB Buxx (closed)

USB BUXX is closed:
Last day to load was Oct 24th, 2015.
Last day to use or withdraw all funds Dec 30th.
Cards closed Dec 31st
Transaction History available through 6/30/16

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.

Print Wikipost

VISA Buxx (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by RogerOH
Tried loading NW Buzz with Ritz Carlton Visa for $500. No go. The cash advance limit is set to $100.

Is this like a SERVE, where the transaction goes through as a cash advance, but posts as a purchase?

so do i need to up the cash advance limit to $550?
you are correct.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:06 pm

I just want to warn everyone with the US Bank Visabuxx cards - if you get a fraud alert (pfraud), clear it up quickly and then withdraw all the funds remaining in the account.

I did two PIN transactions at Walmart within ~30 min of each other, and after the 2nd transaction I got an email stating the account was frozen for a fraud alert. I've done single $2K PIN transactions previously, with no issues. I think the multiple high value ($500-1K) PIN transactions triggered a fraud alert.

I called in and got the account unfrozen. However, when I logged in to check the next week, the account was frozen again. I called US Bank, and the upshot is that the initial fraud alert meant that someone took a closer look at the account the next day, and due to the pattern of usage, they deemed it "fraud" and thus totally froze the account. I had <$50 left in the account, and I was told that US Bank would not release those funds, and there was no way for me to contest that decision.

The other buxx card linked to the account seemed okay, and I was able to withdraw the money from the account. However, when I tried to load more funds on it the following week, that account also got the "fraud" designator.

US Bank is getting nasty with these grandfathered accounts. After the closure, I went back and reread the T&C, and there is nothing in there that prohibits withdrawing most of the funds via ATM withdrawal or doing only large PIN transactions. The T&C are mostly concerned with overspending money not in the account, and obviously, I never let the account go in negative territory.

I initially was going to file a complaint (FDIC) but had second thoughts. I have other visabuxx cards (different primary account holder), and keeping those accounts active & in good standing is more valuable to me vs retrieving the money back from the frozen card. While nothing might happen if I file a complaint, there is also a reasonable chance that US Bank will dig more deeply and close the other accounts too.

Last edited by paynea; May 26, 2015 at 7:28 pm Reason: to add pfraud so will come up in a search
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by paynea
I just want to warn everyone with the US Bank Visabuxx cards - if you get a fraud alert, clear it up quickly and then withdraw all the funds remaining in the account.

I did two PIN transactions at Walmart within ~30 min of each other, and after the 2nd transaction I got an email stating the account was frozen for a fraud alert. I've done single $2K PIN transactions previously, with no issues. I think the multiple high value ($500-1K) PIN transactions triggered a fraud alert.

I called in and got the account unfrozen. However, when I logged in to check the next week, the account was frozen again. I called US Bank, and the upshot is that the initial fraud alert meant that someone took a closer look at the account the next day, and due to the pattern of usage, they deemed it "fraud" and thus totally froze the account. I had <$50 left in the account, and I was told that US Bank would not release those funds, and there was no way for me to contest that decision.

The other buxx card linked to the account seemed okay, and I was able to withdraw the money from the account. However, when I tried to load more funds on it the following week, that account also got the "fraud" designator.

US Bank is getting nasty with these grandfathered accounts. After the closure, I went back and reread the T&C, and there is nothing in there that prohibits withdrawing most of the funds via ATM withdrawal or doing only large PIN transactions.
Did you use the card for any regular purchases? I do at least 3-5 of thoae charges per monrh. That's where they make their money off these cards.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:28 pm

Chase Marriot Visa

Originally Posted by ed765
Has anyone had any experience with the Chase Marriott card to load a Nationwide BUXX?

I have this and a Serve, and was thinking I might use this new card to load at least one of the two.
I tried a load of $500 on my Nationwide Buxx (cash advance limit $1000) and it would not go through. Any guess why?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Originally Posted by paynea
I just want to warn everyone with the US Bank Visabuxx cards - if you get a fraud alert, clear it up quickly and then withdraw all the funds remaining in the account.
A fraud alert on a debit card? Now that's something I haven't heard before... Other than that, as long as you have free USB ATMs in your area why use them for purchasing anything?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:34 pm

Not anyone can access USB ATM easily. The nearest USB ATM is 150 miles from my home. The only ways for me to unload my 4 Buxx is MO, serve, ALDI ( cash or debit only), pay IRS, chime, evolve money( no long available due to 3% charge) or walmart bill pay(also not available since I cannot find any nearby WM to pay visa/mastercard anymore). However, this is the first time I heard of a fraud alert.

The funny thins is beside the 4 buxx, I have another 3 US bank credit cards. I even applied Cash+ from a US bank branch 500 miles away from my house while I took my daughter to attend her Gymnastic competition a couple of years ago.

Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
A fraud alert on a debit card? Now that's something I haven't heard before... Other than that, as long as you have free USB ATMs in your area why use them for purchasing anything?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:17 pm

How are you guys unloading your Visa Buxx now that Walmart BP has stopped? besides ATM withdrawals.

I've always used WM BP.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:18 pm

I'm not surprised that US Bank has fraud alerts for the visabuxx cards - I mean, they can be stolen too. Plus, these aren't bank account debit cards, but prepaid debit cards.

This is the message:
Your account has been suspended as a precaution; we would like to verify the recent transactional activity. Please contact our customer service department immediately at [phone number]. Sincerely, Risk Management

I go back and forth between just withdrawing the funds via USB ATMs vs billpay. The $1.88 (or $1) cost for saving >40 min worth of time (10 ATM withdrawal transactions plus 2 ATM deposit transactions, and transit time to and from the ATMs) is worthwhile if I'm Walmart anyway. In this case, I was loading BB accounts at Walmart, and used the buxx cards when the cashier wanted a "real" debit card (end of the month and didn't have time to shop around).

Anyway, this is just to warn people to not leave a lot of funds on these cards. I usually left $1-2K for weeks at a time (eg until the next load was due), but I'm going to use the funds a lot faster going forward.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:03 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Originally Posted by ual902
How are you guys unloading your Visa Buxx now that Walmart BP has stopped? besides ATM withdrawals.
Well, USB 100% via ATM. I'm about to deplete the balance on the NW and then SD it for a while since it's not worth it for me anymore after the Evolve debacle last week.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:39 pm

I've always used WM BP.
Who said about WM BP being stopped?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Who said about WM BP being stopped?
From the WIKI on WM BP forum:
VISA can no longer be found and selected at some or many Walmart stores. If so, it can no longer be paid with CheckFreePAY.

Note: As of 12/8, Walmart bill pay to many credit cards no longer works at some stores, especially on the East Coast.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...lmart-240.html
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:30 am

I have been billpay for one year until last December. I could not pay my CC bills at all my 7 neighboring WMs. Visa/MC option are still there. However, all the major banks under Visa/MC are removed. One cs I knew spent 15 minutes to help me find Barclays & BoA but no luck. The cs showed me the list under Visa and MC: Target, BMO Harris, and some small credit unions. No Chase, Barclay, Citi, US Bank, or BoA. I am out of luck.

I purchased MOs instead after last December which is a more of hassle to stop by the banks more often.

From the WIKI on WM BP forum:
VISA can no longer be found and selected at some or many Walmart stores. If so, it can no longer be paid with CheckFreePAY.

Note: As of 12/8, Walmart bill pay to many credit cards no longer works at some stores, especially on the East Coast.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...lmart-240.html
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:36 am

Used Citibank Platinum Select MC to Load onto USBankBuxx. Showing as Direct marketing in category and purchase.

Does anyone know if I will receive American airlines miles for the transaction PLUS can be used for the minimum spending for 50k bonus miles?

TIA
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: IHG Plat
Originally Posted by metoo
Used Citibank Platinum Select MC to Load onto USBankBuxx. Showing as Direct marketing in category and purchase.

Does anyone know if I will receive American airlines miles for the transaction PLUS can be used for the minimum spending for 50k bonus miles?

TIA
yes plus yes

that fraud alert above has me a little worried...I usually just load up my 3 cards over 2 days and then go to the ATM at various times. but I don't want an alert to hit when each card is fully loaded and USB wont release the $.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:13 am

Can I purchase MO at walmart or anywhere else with NW VISA BUXX?.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.