Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

• Your debit card online through your Account
• Cash at a Target Store
• Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the card’s load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own driver’s license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I can’t promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    • Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    • Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
    Originally Posted by iflyjetz
    Yep; first time I've read of a non-PIN GC. I wouldn't have been as fortunate as Mamibear in reading the fine print.

Fortunately, I've got 3 different Simon Malls near me that sell GCs and those have worked great so far. And both Target and Wallyworld haven't asked to see the card in the 4 or so months I've been back doing MS.

I came across these about 6 months ago as well...loading $2500 on to a VGC sounded too good to be true; a quick google search of Incentive Card Lab + Manufactured spending revealed that these cards do not, in fact, have PIN numbers and rendered them useless.
    Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:01 am

Successfully loaded $2500 just past 9 pm PDT last night in central California. Old POS system and an enthusiastic guest services worker makes for an easy in-and-out.
    Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:05 am

I came across their cards a while back and the TOS seems to suggest the card can be processed through pin-less debit by Accel network. Popmoney comes to mind, but I've never tried it.
    Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
    I loaded today on the (or a) new system. I swiped my REDcard myself and loaded with Vanilla and Target sold VGCs.

No problems, but did seem a little slower than I recall from last month. Some of the delay was on the cashier side though, it was his first time loading since the update in this store.
    Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by uPantcho
    out of curiosity though... i know many here are very into the policy of "dont ask dont tell" but has anyone actually called redbird's number and asked if prepaid debits are allowed? what was the asnwer?
    Why would you want to do that? We already knew the answer, don't we?
    Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:18 pm

Successfully loaded 5x $200 Staples VGCs this morning. On the 4th load the cashier got a weird message about 3rd party cards not working, and the yellow box on my screen that would normally read "$200" was blank. She walked over to ask a manager what the error was about and I heard the manager say "I dont think prepaid cards work unless they say Visa", then he looked at my card she was holding and said "that should be fine." Cashier then came back and we completed the 4th card that prompted the error, then we did the 5th card and I was on my way. All 5 receipts looked fine and I logged onto Redcard in the parking lot from my phone and verified all $1k had loaded successfully. Not sure what to make of it since only 1 card prompted the error.
    Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
    Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
    Anyone having problems loading in So Cal? LA area? Thanks
    Loaded it at City Target in Westwood yesterday (first time since end of last year) without a problem.
    Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
    Originally Posted by bostonbali
    Was unable to load money on RedBird today at my local Target.
    The cashier told me they're waiting for a new POS system that allows them to accept credit cards with a chip.

She said the new POS is not due in for another week, so I can't load $ until then.
    The cashier did recommend I call in to load money over the phone (that can't be right, can it?)

Hopefully the new terminals don't cause issues loading Redbirds...
    I doubt this is right. At the same time, I expect the current situation to change with any of the following possibilities:

* Allow credit card load and at the same time reduce the discount offered on AGC through portals
    * Have automatic machines where we can load with debit cards without CSR
    * Allow CC loads and start charging for credit card bill pays or bill pay in general. It blows my mind why they haven't thought about charging for CC bill pay yet.
    * Continue with the current system and reduce the AGC cashback
    * Discontinue RB, at least VGC loads
    Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:57 pm

Loaded 2x$500 in 2 locations in the greater Philly areas. One with upgraded POS while the other is the old one. Unlike the old one that prompts the pin pad, the upgraded one prompted credit as an option when gebit was swiped.
    Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:45 pm

How does the load process differ for Vanilla VGCs versus regular VGCs? I've been doing $5k/mo worth of the $5.95 VGCs from Kroger for a while but I was at CVS today and decided to pick up a $4.95 Vanilla VGC. I soon learned that you can't set a PIN by phone, but instead are instructed to "clear" the card's PIN (which I did) then set a PIN at the keypad the first time you use the card. Does this mean that when I'm loading at Target I will have to enter the PIN in twice (once to set it, then once to load it onto my Redcard)? Does this require two separate transactions, or can the whole thing be accomplished in a single transaction?
    Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Auerbach
    How does the load process differ for Vanilla VGCs versus regular VGCs? I've been doing $5k/mo worth of the $5.95 VGCs from Kroger for a while but I was at CVS today and decided to pick up a $4.95 Vanilla VGC. I soon learned that you can't set a PIN by phone, but instead are instructed to "clear" the card's PIN (which I did) then set a PIN at the keypad the first time you use the card. Does this mean that when I'm loading at Target I will have to enter the PIN in twice (once to set it, then once to load it onto my Redcard)? Does this require two separate transactions, or can the whole thing be accomplished in a single transaction?
    I've bought OVs and other variable vanillas at drugstores, especially WAG when they have a promo for less fees. IIRC, it says on the back of the packages that you can set any 4 digits as PIN so I always use my memorized PIN when I load them to RB at Target or Serve at FD.

To answer you question on setting the PIN, you set it just once. Only when you don't drain the full amount in one transaction do you have to remember it for subsequent transactions; otherwise, if you load $500, enter PIN and you can either keep card or just throw it away.
    Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by rizrizriz
    Yea, unfortunately these have the following in their T&C

http://www.incentivecardlab.com/ince...lder-agreement

Personal Identification Number

You will not receive a Personal Identification Number (“PIN”) with your Card Account.
    I ordered gift cards from Gift Card Mall (which I had done in the past with no problem), but the cards that I received say they are from Gift Card Lab, and by your reference, apparently Incentive Card Lab is also connected to them. Their website wasn't working properly so I called in and got the run-around by various customer service reps, including a so-called supervisor, all just reading from a script over and over. Something like, "The cards say Debit to let merchants know that there is a limit to the amount that can be charged to the card, but it can only be run as a credit card." Total scam. Be careful out there.
    Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:22 pm

Loaded tonight in Calabasa. The CSR was loading for the first time and had no clue what she was doing. While she was nervous in the beginning and it took time for her to load two VGCs, she managed to do it.
    Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
    Got shut down at my go to target in Daly City

Asked to see debit card and said no go on 3rd party gift cards. Also checked to see if names matched
    Originally Posted by Majuki
    Which location was this? East or West side of 280?

yeah, the short CSR over there is getting at us. i didnt have any trouble with other employees though and on the day she didnt allow me i just went to the one on colma and it was fine

btw i should mention that she was always very "loud" about my loads every time i went there. anyone else had that impression? (specially when we could use credit cards)
    Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
    After reading about some of the problems people encounter at Target I should feel fortunate that the one I use here in Maryland is fantastic. The CSR at the desk recognizes me and I've had zero problems with her or any the terminals, new or old. Also have zero problems converting my AGCs to Visa gift cards at the local CVS. Hopefully it won't change at either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.