Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

• Your debit card online through your Account
• Cash at a Target Store
• Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the card’s load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own driver’s license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I can’t promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    • Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    • Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:17 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by rizrizriz
    FYI in event your one of the (unfortunate) accounts that this is affecting.

Just off phone with RedCard / AmEx support and then RedCard IT support.

One of the accounts I manage this morning when I attempted to login gave the following error:

The username and password combination isn't right. As a reminder, the password rules are: at least 8 characters, at least 1 number, at least 1 uppercase, at least 1 lowercase, no symbols.

This I found odd because I use 1Password app which would remember the correct user name / password combo. I tried several browsers (Safari, FF, Chrome) and 2 different computers, same issue each time, then reboot computers, clear cache, etc and still same result. Called support, they had me do the same (of course) then finally passed me to the "IT staff". He said initially that not aware of anything, but that he would be resetting my account and trying to login. Had to get the 4 on the front and 3 digits on the back of the affected card.

It reported the same to him (I also got emails that the password was changed)

Anyway, NOW he says "oh yea there was a discussion internally within IT about this a day or two ago. I will document that your account is also affected"

Gave me a case # and after several questions from me I found out that right now they hope to have something fixed by "Tuesday or Wednesday"

Anyway, if you receive the above messages. I would call it in so they can be aware of it and add you to the list.
    I also called in - I've been locked out of my account since the morning of June 10th. I called and reported then and just confirmed I'm still locked out. The CS rep told me the same thing. Seems hard to believe it takes this long to fix.
    Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:17 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by februaryfour
    I would switch for the checking capabilities of the BB if not for the fact that in all of Denver there is only ONE Walmart with a Kate, and it is not that close to home. I have four Targets closer to me than the Kate.
    Originally Posted by chrisremo
    Me, because there's no Wal-Mart convenient to me. I live in San Francisco with weekly travel to Seattle, and there are no Wal-Marts in either city. And I don't have a car to drive to a different town--but even if I did, I would still prefer to just go to one of the Targets that is actually within my easy orbit rather than going way out of my way.
    Understand the limitation of stores.

Originally Posted by haloseven
    There might be minimal savings but the frustration factor is key. All cards work at target. Vanilla, meta, hell even all the mastercard varieties. That's worth something
    Ability for the Vanilla is the only reason I see to keep one RB. Still, the limit per month is only $5K.

Think about how much you stand to lose on the AMEX sync offers, especially when it comes to the generous Small Business Saturday.

I read folks who have sub accounts on their BB or Serv, were getting the $20/$20 on Sam's Club site on every card they have - that is like $100 and up. Plus the current very targeted offer of $30 / $100 at Target or WalMart that can be done 5x!
    Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
    Understand the limitation of stores.

Ability for the Vanilla is the only reason I see to keep one RB. Still, the limit per month is only $5K.
    Right, but as most here have several cards you have to multiply that, and there may be some cost in having to go to Walmart and Target.

With just three cards, the ability to use Vanilla saves $30 a month (and are here easier to buy with AGC)

I agree the Amex deals may well push the decision for some: personally with 6 other Amex I struggle to find deals I can use.
    Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:50 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by silver6054
    Right, but as most here have several cards you have to multiply that, and there may be some cost in having to go to Walmart and Target.

With just three cards, the ability to use Vanilla saves $30 a month (and are here easier to buy with AGC)

I agree the Amex deals may well push the decision for some: personally with 6 other Amex I struggle to find deals I can use.
    Forgot about the AGC which I do not touch. Too much work with too long a food chain.

Really? You couldn't use the AMEX offers? I know some people have 30 to 40 AMEX cards in the household... and they make good use of the AMEX offers.

The latest good ones - $20/$20 at Sam's site as well as the $5/$25 at Dollar General. Though I only use one at Dollar General because I dont want to get more Gas / Restaurant gift cards even with 20% discount. Folks on the West Coast have a ball on the 3x $25/$50 at Smart and Final where they can buy the prepaids. There was also the $15/$75 at HD, and of course the highly targeted $30/$100 at TGT or WMT that are 5x per card...

There were the $15/$15 Amazon a few months ago, the $20/$100? at OD that could be double-dipped, a similar offer at BBY, and of course the Small Business Saturday $15/$15 that was 3x on each card. Last year we had almost $1K free money from AMEX that was fun to do.
    Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by februaryfour
    I would switch for the checking capabilities of the BB if not for the fact that in all of Denver there is only ONE Walmart with a Kate, and it is not that close to home. I have four Targets closer to me than the Kate.
    You don't mean the entire Denver Metro area, do you?
    Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:09 pm

What are u guys talking about?

What would u do because Target stops accepting the Gebit cards (corporate or the cashiers) to load RB?

Would u drop RB?

Would u convert to BB or Serve? Why?
    Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by rabatt
    You do know there is only ONE Target in the district, so it might be prudent not to do 5x500. Do we really want to piss of the the accommodating cashiers in Columbia Heights?
    You DO know that DC is geographically very small and there are lots of Targets in the close-in Maryland & Virgina suburbs? I go to the Columbia Heights one about 1/5th of the time.
    Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:55 pm

Just loaded 1k in OV at my frequent Target. I love the GS here, they are more than happy to load and love to make small talk with me (it's slow around 10pm and they close at 12am every night). I'm just glad to have 5 Targets in a 5 mile radius
    Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
    What are u guys talking about?

What would u do because Target stops accepting the Gebit cards (corporate or the cashiers) to load RB?

Would u drop RB?

Would u convert to BB or Serve? Why?
    I believe Happy was talking about the current situation. She has two strikes against RB:

1) They don't support Amex deals, whereas BB/Serve cards do
    2) She finds Target clerks/managers MORE likely to invent and impose rules than Walmart.

In the case of 2), if and when my local targets stop accepting debit cards (or enough clerks do to make it an unpleasant experience) then I guess I would convert back to BB (unless Walmart does the same). As previously indicated, 1) isn't of so much concern to me.
    Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
    I believe Happy was talking about the current situation. She has two strikes against RB:

1) They don't support Amex deals, whereas BB/Serve cards do
    2) She finds Target clerks/managers MORE likely to invent and impose rules than Walmart.

In the case of 2), if and when my local targets stop accepting debit cards (or enough clerks do to make it an unpleasant experience) then I guess I would convert back to BB (unless Walmart does the same). As previously indicated, 1) isn't of so much concern to me.
    So strange that so many of you are finding these rude and pretentious Target clerks. The one time I had a problem was with a CS person who had loaded for both myself and DW in the past, and when I asked her to load DW's RB without her being there, she told me from now on I couldn't do that, because she didn't want to get in trouble. But she still loaded it for me.

I have another local Target where I load DW's RB every month (she doesn't want to bother, she just wants to take the trips ) and they never even notice, or apparently care. I couldn't ask for more from either of my stores, (other than to have cc loading come back ).

I'm feeling very lucky now....
    Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
    Anyone else have load failures on 6/11? I've got a load reversal on my card but the funds are not on the debit card & the sale has posted.
    Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:55 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
    Originally Posted by AwardTravelers
    I also called in - I've been locked out of my account since the morning of June 10th. I called and reported then and just confirmed I'm still locked out. The CS rep told me the same thing. Seems hard to believe it takes this long to fix.
    Out of 5 cards I manage, one is now affected this way as of this morning (last login a week ago). Fortunately, it is my own card.

Any resolution on this? I will have to call tonight I guess.
    Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
    Out of 5 cards I manage, one is now affected this way as of this morning (last login a week ago). Fortunately, it is my own card.

Any resolution on this? I will have to call tonight I guess.
    I got a (seemingly) knowledgeable tech support person on the phone this morning and pressed him for information. Among the highlights (or lowlights):
    1. They know of about 500 customers who are affected by the issue
    2. They do not know the root cause of the issue
    3. They have Dev, Test, and Production environments. In Dev they change the code to try to fix the issue. They test in Dev, but the test is limited to the fix itself. They then publish the code to Test where they again test the fix, but also test to make sure they don't break anything else. Once they pass the fix in Test they'll push it to Prod. Unfortunately the push to Prod only happens once per day - so the absolute earliest this can be fixed at this point is tomorrow.
    4. They tried a fix on Friday, but it failed in Test because it broke other functionality.
    5. They are finishing a 2nd code fix in Dev now and hope to test today. If all goes well they could push fix to Prod by tonight.
    6. He assured me this is receiving the highest priority (but if the last 'fix' failed on Friday and they're working on 2nd fix now one can infer that it's not a high enough priority to work the weekend).

Being in the SW industry I'm not at all optimistic that this is going to be resolved today. Without knowing the root cause any 'fix' they develop is just a shot in the dark. Given the relatively low number of users purportedly affected and my assumption nobody worked the weekend on this I'm skeptical of his assurance that it's receiving their highest priority.

But I guess that's the game - can't earn points & miles without taking some risks. Here's hoping it gets resolved soon. Cheers.
    Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:12 am

She finds Target clerks/managers MORE likely to invent and impose rules than Walmart.
    When this happens, obviously there is some pressure coming from the corporate, suspect regulatory violations....has happened to most of the cards, then randomly accounts are blocked or cancelled.

I am ready to pull the plug (unless the situation is resolved quickly). If I convert the card, is Serve not a better choice?
    Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, WN CP
    ID and rejection of VV by clerk

Today was the first time I was ashed for anything beyond "how much do you want to load?"

They wanted to see ID ( I was loading the wife's card, so no go) and they also wanted to see the debit cards and refused to allow me to use the VVs. Just a headsup to be careful out there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.