Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

• Your debit card online through your Account
• Cash at a Target Store
• Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the card’s load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own driver’s license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I can’t promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    • Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    • Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA is all for now.
    We are not special agents or spies!

So, I had an experience yesterday I figured some of you might find interesting. First I need to explain my city. Its very large in terms of landmass, and it's broken into different sections. These sections are somewhat stratisfied in terms of socioeconomic status. We have small areas with fairly affluent populations, and other areas where nearly everyone is poor. We also have 8 Targets. 3 of them are located in wealthy areas. While the RC is officially available nowhere in Florida, one of these stores did carry it for approximately one month as a "pilot". The card is now no longer available there although I did purchase mine during that brief test.
    I have been attempting to pick up a second AFT to cut down on ATM withdrawal fees, and my local target no longer carries it. (I would love a second RC for family as well and didn't want to resort to ebay.) So I started calling every target in my city, and inquired as to whether or not they currently carry either prepaid product. (It seems that none of them do anymore.) In the process of doing this, I made the following discovery.
    The three targets in the wealthier areas were all extremely familiar with the RC. One girl mentioned that her store has a crowd of people that comes in regularly and loads ridiculous amounts of money onto it although she has no idea where they all got them from of why they're putting so much money on it. A girl from another store muttered something along the lines of not knowing exactly what i wanted it for but if I was like the rest of their customers it probably wasn't for its intended use. It made me remember that on my last visit to the target in the wealthiest area, as soon as I pulled the card out the rep (who i'd never seen before) asked me for the last 4 of my CC BEFORE I indicated I'd be paying that way. When I only asked to load $200, the rep looked shocked.
    As for the 5 targets in the poorer areas? Not a single person I spoke to HAD EVER HEARD OF A PREPAID RC!. One of them brought me a supervisor, who had vaguely heard of it only in the context that some store in the city was running a test with it but he'd never seen one and didn;t know anything about it.
    So, for all of you who continue to delude yourself that somewhere far away from this message board there is a large mass of people who are using this card to survive because they can't have a checking account, I hate to burst your bubble. We cannot hide our ridiculous amount of CC churning in their midst because I am beginning to suspect that THERE ARE NO TRADITIONAL RC USERS. This card has spread like wildfire among people who enjoy a middle class or higher standard of living (people who can get credit and afford to float funds) and has been completely ignored by the group its been marketed towards.
    There is absolutely NO way that target hasn't noticed this. You think they won't notice that no RCs are ever loaded in areas just wealthy enough to have a target VS the huge revenue increase in the "better located" targets? (Including the targets in places where the RC is not even available!) Believe me, they know EXACTLY what's going on. At this point we are as obvious as children covered head to toe in ink while still insisting nobody will ever know we were the one that pulled the fire alarm. How much this will play into Target's decision of whether or not to allow it to continue, I cannot say, but we are nowhere near as sneaky as we think we are.
    Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Anomalychick
    This card has spread like wildfire among people who enjoy a middle class or higher standard of living (people who can get credit and afford to float funds) and has been completely ignored by the group its been marketed towards.
    What makes you think that we're not the group its been marketed towards? At least from Target's perspective, if not Amex. Almost every Redbird reload visit, I also do some shopping, because I'm already there so might as well and I get 5% off to boot.

Haven't been to a Walmart or other competitor this year...

Cheers
    Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Domat
    Are you sure of this? All other datapoints I have read said otherwise?
    Only the initial $500 load on the temporary card doesn't count against the monthly limit.
    Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
    What makes you think that we're not the group its been marketed towards? At least from Target's perspective, if not Amex. Almost every Redbird reload visit, I also do some shopping, because I'm already there so might as well and I get 5% off to boot.

Haven't been to a Walmart or other competitor this year...

Cheers
    Agree - Target is not that convenient to me. I probably would not purchase much there regularly if it were not for Red Card. I probably purchase groceries etc. on 80% of my trips. Also I have contractors who I send money to via Red Card who use the money for regular charging etc.
    Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:49 pm

Can we start with an assumption that the unbanked only go to their nearest Target and their nearest Walmart? Obviously if their nearest Target doesn't have RC, they would just get a Bluebird.
    Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA is all for now.
    I do understand the argument that target might make some money off people that would not typically shop there. But what do they pay in CC fees? Lets say its only 2%. That means that they pay out $100/ month in fees for each rb loader they bring in. Not to mention the people loading multiple redbirds, so for some of them it might be costing them $300-$500 a month to bring them into the store.
    Just because the RB might entice each of us to spend a few extra dollars in the store, I really doubt it justifies an advertising fee like that. How much of what we spend represents actual profit to target? I know that clothes are made in sweatshops in third world countries and have a 100% mark up, but most of thats taken by targets suppliers and their suppliers suppliers. Even if their profit margin is 30% on most of their merchandise, each of us would need to spend at least $400 a month there.
    I don't know about the rest of you, but im watching my wallet way too carefully right now with all the funds i'm floating around trying to profit off this to consider spending even close to that much at Target of all places. Their groceries are too expensive and i'm cut way back on everything else anyway. I'd leave and go to walmart first if I really needed something that costs more than a few dollars, or i'd break down and go to the mall if I ever needed something nice. They're lucky if they get $10 a month from me, so $3.00 in profit. Net loss to them, $97.
    Anyone here who is spending $400 a month at target that would never have stepped into one without a RC, please chime in.
    Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by cxr
    why 500?
    If a $1000 load give an amount too small message, change it to $500. Why $500? Because that's the only amount I've tried.
    Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:18 pm

Did my very first load today of 1k and everything went flawless!
    Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
    At this point we are as obvious as children covered head to toe in ink while still insisting nobody will ever know we were the one that pulled the fire alarm.
    Not meant to impeach your underlying thesis, but ink-spurting fire alarm pull stations are an urban legend.

I agree that Target could yank this rug anytime, and they have someone watching the program. Let's hope it lasts longer than their Edmonton Excursion, their Manitoba Mayhem, their Vancouver Venture, their Saskatchewan Screw-Up, their... oh, you get the point.
    Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:24 pm

we are nowhere near as sneaky as we think we are.
    i dont know. im feeling pretty sneaky
    Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by GertieGo
    Last night around 7:00 I loaded about $900 on my card.

Today around 3:00 in the afternoon I stop by to do another similar sized load. When the cashier swiped the card to load, it just went to a screen for returns.

I tried again at customer service. Same deal. Asked for a manager (not sure if I got one). Same deal. Told it's the card, and to call the number on the card.

Left and called the number. No problem with the card. Also, I'm no where near the load limit on my card for the month.

Called the store, asked for a manager, this time got someone much more helpful. She asked me to come back and meet her at customer service. Same problem again, but she tried calling several different numbers and couldn't get a fix. She said she believes it's a system problem.

Called a friend to try hers. She did later that night, at the same Target location, and had the same problem.

I drove to another nearby Target location. Same problem--A screen for returns, instead of the usual loading options. Said they'd had a similar problem earlier.

I got my card out of state, because our local stores don't have them, but I've had no problem using it the past few months. Is anyone else having this problem pop up today?
    Originally Posted by doldrim
    Are you in North Carolina? This is the error that people see in NC at 90+% of the stores here.
    I looked after first posting and didn't see this response. Sorry! I'm in Arkansas and we are still not able to load with any form of payment. Haven't be able to for over two months. And I was able to load with no problems up until then (November through about February 11)

I just saw the reply from doldrim after doing another search to see if there was anyone else, or any new information. (I checked for replies after posting, but somehow missed it.) People in North Carolina were finally able to load, is that right? I wonder if we'll ever get the ability to load again. I know others in my area are trying, because I go in periodically to try and the customer service people say they just tried for someone else a few days ago and it didn't work. I just wish I had some more information!
    Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
    First time for me...
    I did a big load today, and the clerk immediately asked me if I was only doing one. I said yes, only one for me. It was very obvious that some other Redbirders were making multiple loads, and she totally expected me to make another.
    This is at a So Cal store where RBs are not sold.
    Yeah I try to keep it to $1k a day per store, but recently the rep asked me if I wanted to do another $1k since that's what people usually ask for. Obviously I said yes. I guess people just don't care, and I'm starting to not care a little too.
    Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:53 pm

There is absolutely NO way that target hasn't noticed this. You think they won't notice that no RCs are ever loaded in areas just wealthy enough to have a target VS the huge revenue increase in the "better located" targets? (Including the targets in places where the RC is not even available!) Believe me, they know EXACTLY what's going on. At this point we are as obvious as children covered head to toe in ink while still insisting nobody will ever know we were the one that pulled the fire alarm. How much this will play into Target's decision of whether or not to allow it to continue, I cannot say, but we are nowhere near as sneaky as we think we are.
    Target and Amex are huge multi-billion dollars sophisticated companies. They are not dumb. Amex and Target have done risk analysis on these things way before the product ever got deployed. Amex especially as a financial services company knows pretty much every MS trick in the book. Don't kid yourself. They have tons of employees reading Flyertalk, Reddit, Million Mile and every other blogs, forums etc out there. The key is a balancing act of trying to maintain a product for those that truely need and use it as intended while keeping MS'ers and scammers/fraudsters at bay.

Reality is that there is a profit motive for them to accept the number of MS'ers legally gaming the intent of the product. When MS activity gets to an unprofitable level with redbird, Amex/Target will shut it down or modify the program. Until then, all in.
    Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
    Originally Posted by AChurnGrowsInBrooklyn
    Anyone know if the Harlem Target in NYC permits VGC loads? Searched this thread high and low and couldn't find anything on this.
    All I know is that they always ask for I. D. And IME they have asked to see the card I am using to load .
    Also have to wait for a MGR IME also .
    GL
    Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:17 pm

So, I had an experience yesterday I figured some of you might find interesting. First I need to explain my city. Its very large in terms of landmass, and it's broken into different sections. These sections are somewhat stratisfied in terms of socioeconomic status. We have small areas with fairly affluent populations, and other areas where nearly everyone is poor. We also have 8 Targets. 3 of them are located in wealthy areas. While the RC is officially available nowhere in Florida, one of these stores did carry it for approximately one month as a "pilot". The card is now no longer available there although I did purchase mine during that brief test.
    I have been attempting to pick up a second AFT to cut down on ATM withdrawal fees, and my local target no longer carries it. (I would love a second RC for family as well and didn't want to resort to ebay.) So I started calling every target in my city, and inquired as to whether or not they currently carry either prepaid product. (It seems that none of them do anymore.) In the process of doing this, I made the following discovery.
    The three targets in the wealthier areas were all extremely familiar with the RC. One girl mentioned that her store has a crowd of people that comes in regularly and loads ridiculous amounts of money onto it although she has no idea where they all got them from of why they're putting so much money on it. A girl from another store muttered something along the lines of not knowing exactly what i wanted it for but if I was like the rest of their customers it probably wasn't for its intended use. It made me remember that on my last visit to the target in the wealthiest area, as soon as I pulled the card out the rep (who i'd never seen before) asked me for the last 4 of my CC BEFORE I indicated I'd be paying that way. When I only asked to load $200, the rep looked shocked.
    As for the 5 targets in the poorer areas? Not a single person I spoke to HAD EVER HEARD OF A PREPAID RC!. One of them brought me a supervisor, who had vaguely heard of it only in the context that some store in the city was running a test with it but he'd never seen one and didn;t know anything about it.
    So, for all of you who continue to delude yourself that somewhere far away from this message board there is a large mass of people who are using this card to survive because they can't have a checking account, I hate to burst your bubble. We cannot hide our ridiculous amount of CC churning in their midst because I am beginning to suspect that THERE ARE NO TRADITIONAL RC USERS. This card has spread like wildfire among people who enjoy a middle class or higher standard of living (people who can get credit and afford to float funds) and has been completely ignored by the group its been marketed towards.
    I loaded 1500 on each of my card( spouse and mine), total of 3K. the agent asked why I put so much money on the card, I told her I use like a debt card. When I decide to leave, she said if there is something wrong with my card, she might lose her job. I replied to her you will be fine.

Last edited by cubachao; Apr 23, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.