Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

• Your debit card online through your Account
• Cash at a Target Store
• Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the card’s load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own driver’s license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I can’t promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    • Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    • Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
    An interesting and potentially worrisome experience at Target today. I manage 3 RedBirds, and usually I load all 3 at once, twice a month with $2.5K each. Has gotten some raised eyebrows from cashiers in the past, but never a problem.

Today, was told by a cashier I can only load at customer service center. I've also loaded at the customer service center if there are no lines without a problem, but there is usually a long line there, so usually I protest a little and they let me load at the cashier. This time, the cashier said they are not allowed to do that "anymore."

Interesting. I went over to customer service and waited in line. Was able to load the first 2 cards no problem. The second swipe for the third card got declined after swiping payment card. I figured it was a fraud warning thing which occurs from time to time, and called the credit card, but they said they saw no attempt at all. Around this time, the red phone by the CSR desk rings and the CSR talks to them and hangs up. I get done with my phone call and the CSR says that the block wasn't from the credit card, it was from the store.

He says loading the account any more today has been blocked by asset protection! I searched and did not see this department mentioned anywhere, and don't really know why they would get involved. He also didn't know if the account was only blocked for today, or any other length of time, or if the block was only for this store or for all Targets. I don't have time to go to another Target this month as I'm leaving the country for a couple weeks tomorrow morning. The website login works fine and the account does not seem to have any problems online.

I hope this isn't bad news for me (or anyone else). Anyone else have any insight or experience? The best-case scenario is that they are being cautious about credit card fraud. Worst-case is they are monitoring for max loads and blocking the accounts/shutting them down. However, I hadn't read any confirmed cases of anyone getting RedCard shutdown... I'd hate to be the first (or rather, my family would hate to be the first).
    Do you really need to be soooo greedy? Relax a bit.. Jesus....
    Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
    NC folks are being rejected while everyone else is partying. So if I'm in NC, I will call, kick, scream, pound doors until it gets fixed. If this causes it to get shut down for all, so be it. NC folks are still in the same boat, can't load..
    Mad child logic.

Here's the option you forgot...a bunch of MS-ers don't scream and cc loads in NC come back (after issue is fixed, or for whatever other reason), vs a bunch of them do complain and maybe, just maybe, it goes away for good (NC and everywhere) sooner than it would otherwise.

Anyhow, I def don't mean to convert anyone, just pointing out the fallacies, in that the impetus in these arguments its not about the chances of you fixing or breaking it for yourself, its merely about being pissed that you can't play with the same toys that the other kids are playing with.
    Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
    I have only been billpaying things like my mortgage, car lease, etc., but not any credit cards. Does anyone think there is a risk doing bp for a cc due to the fact that you would have to put your complete cc # in the "account #" field so the check they send to the cc company gets credited correctly (I'm looking at this from the perspective of the cc # getting stolen).
    Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by rubesl
    I have only been billpaying things like my mortgage, car lease, etc., but not any credit cards. Does anyone think there is a risk doing bp for a cc due to the fact that you would have to put your complete cc # in the "account #" field so the check they send to the cc company gets credited correctly (I'm looking at this from the perspective of the cc # getting stolen).

Who said there was a check involved?

Its an ACH transfer
    Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; IHG Platinum; Emerald Exec Elite
    Originally Posted by rubesl

No. For one thing they don't send a paper check to the credit card companies. Also, how would this be any more of a risk then any other place where you use your credit card or give out your credit card number to purchase something (like online)? You are protected against fraudulent charges with a credit card anyway.
    Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM DL PLT
    For those managing multiple red cards, do you link a separate checking account for each one?
    Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by mathlete
    For those managing multiple red cards, do you link a separate checking account for each one?
    I do and I would assume most are because the name on each RC is different.
    Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:29 am

North Carolina data point

-2/20/15 tried the Durham SouthSquare location. Refund screen.
    -2/21/15 tried Durham Southpoint location. Refund screen.

Managers at both locations very helpful, but said they didn't know when rolling out nationwide.

-2/21/15 tried Cary 55 West location. Cashier girl was smiling at me, so I approached her. Said she had done one, but when we tried got the refund screen. She hit the call button. Manager? (Scott) came over, and curtly said "we can't do these here." I casually asked why. He seemed to get very defensive. He said that up until a week ago they were able to, and that he helped regulars load, but that he got a memo saying it wouldn't be allowed anymore, and that it wasn't even something he could override. He said that Amex was the one who stepped in and pulled the ability to load from his store. He seemed confused as to the details of the test market (he thought only test market stores could load, and that entire states were test markets). He implied that North Carolina outside of test market areas (Greensboro) was never supposed to have the ability to load. So loads may be begin to disappear from other stores nationwide outside of test market areas until the product rolls out nationwide.

The manager at this store was almost acting as if he felt like he had been taken advantage of by allowing people to load. Going from being so helpful (helping regulars load) to being so short with me about the store's inability to load. I was very polite and not too probing, so I was taken aback by his defensiveness.
    Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
    Originally Posted by jsmithj88
    where?
    All over flyertalk...
    Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
    where?
    Originally Posted by lakers6902
    All over flyertalk...
    I've read several stories, but the particular story I read that has stuck with me was one on fatwallet. The guy had a fairly high income and ~30 year relationship with Chase - checking, previous mortgage, etc. When they were done with the audit, Chase cancelled everything they could with him.

I don't recall how much MSing he was doing, or if it was even mentioned. He was probably doing enough MSing that it could be misinterpreted as money laundering.
    Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:15 pm

I picked up a Redbird last week in Millbury, MA. They had a ton of them in stock by each register. I had no issue loading with $500 (plus $5 fee) on my CSP.

I emptied my Serve and closed the account online, following FM's directions. I got instant approval when I registered the Redbird. They sent me an email letting me know the permanent card is on its way.

Yesterday, I went to load the temp card in Waterford, CT. The cashier had never seen one so she called over the manager. The manager was familiar with the process and explained it to her. Then I loaded up $1000 on my CSP. I look forward to using redbird while it lasts.
    Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: RR, QS, AS MP, SPG
    Got my card in the mail last night. Successful loads on the card today, no questions asked at West Sacramento Target. Woohoo!
    Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
    That's not going to work. I don't know how closely AmEx is watching where payments originate, but I can tell you from my conversations with Chase reps that Target is getting a lot of attention.

Even moving your money from RB to your bank account, then pay your Chase bill is a better choice. Just make sure that you're not banking with Chase. Speaking of which, I've read about people getting all Chase products locked and then cancelled, including checking/savings. I bank with Wells and USAA but don't use their CCs for MS.
    where?
    Take a look at this thread below:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ount-s-57.html

There's not much about redbird, that I remember, but people have definitely been shutdown for abusing walmart billpay. There's also enough data points in that thread to scare me away from ever opening any chase banking products.
    Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by skyward22
    -2/20/15 tried the Durham SouthSquare location. Refund screen.
    -2/21/15 tried Durham Southpoint location. Refund screen.

Managers at both locations very helpful, but said they didn't know when rolling out nationwide.

-2/21/15 tried Cary 55 West location. Cashier girl was smiling at me, so I approached her. Said she had done one, but when we tried got the refund screen. She hit the call button. Manager? (Scott) came over, and curtly said "we can't do these here." I casually asked why. He seemed to get very defensive. He said that up until a week ago they were able to, and that he helped regulars load, but that he got a memo saying it wouldn't be allowed anymore, and that it wasn't even something he could override. He said that Amex was the one who stepped in and pulled the ability to load from his store. He seemed confused as to the details of the test market (he thought only test market stores could load, and that entire states were test markets). He implied that North Carolina outside of test market areas (Greensboro) was never supposed to have the ability to load. So loads may be begin to disappear from other stores nationwide outside of test market areas until the product rolls out nationwide.

The manager at this store was almost acting as if he felt like he had been taken advantage of by allowing people to load. Going from being so helpful (helping regulars load) to being so short with me about the store's inability to load. I was very polite and not too probing, so I was taken aback by his defensiveness.
    It's been a couple of weeks since I last checked, but Greensboro (or any in the Triad that I am aware of) are not able to load. A few people have mentioned going to Cary to specifically load (something about being a new Target), but your report sounds troubling. Well, troubling for others, since I have no interest in driving there to load. The manager in Greensboro said she didn't know when they would be getting them here and was somewhat apologetic about it.
    Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Cmdm789
    Called amex to complain. Amex said all stores in NC should let us load with cc. I told amex that no store will. Then called Cary West store who previously let me cc to RB. They said closest store was in Richmond. Cary said they broke contract by letting some load with cc or gift card. Something is fishy. Target is locking us out. If I can't cc or vgc load RB it is worthless. Pass it on!
    What's the status now in NC? I've been having the same issues in the CLT area. Nobody knows anything at Amex or Target. This is a horrible roll out.

This may have been posted but I know of a few people who were paid $150 for an Amex focus group on these cards. The impression everyone has been getting is they are going to get rid of the RB. A friend's wife said that was her impression based on the questions from Amex. They hinted that the cards weren't being used as designed. Who knows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.