Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

• Your debit card online through your Account
• Cash at a Target Store
• Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the card’s load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own driver’s license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I can’t promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    • Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    • Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
    Thx for the data point. How did you find out it was due to firmware? Also, not sure if it was released nationwide.

I will wait a few days to get some more data points to make sure there's no scenario under which the payment type pops up on the customer terminal, will also load myself in the meantime, then will update the guide accordingly about this part, on its original link and also in the wiki here.
    I dont think it was rolled out nationwide.

I still got prompted for credit or debit yesterday.

Last edited by lumangoy; Oct 8, 2015 at 12:18 pm
    Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
    I dont thonk it was rolled out nationwide.

I still got prompted for credit or debit yesterday.
    Ditto - as of this AM.
    Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:27 pm

Loaded 5k just 10 mins back. Still the old prompts (in CA)
    Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:50 pm

I loaded 2500 last night over two stores in Texas and every load had the debit/credit option.
    Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:02 pm

Loaded 1k last night and still have the debit/credit options (SoCal).
    Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:24 pm

i think the cashier has the option beforehand to select debit. i remember once a cashier made a split payment on a 1000 dollar load and it didnt ask for debit or credit

i may be wrong but i believe this is also a workaround to chipped debit cards. if you only insert at the machine it tries to run credit. i saw someone here saying (maybe noonradar?) that the cashier can select debt beforehand
    Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:46 pm

Loaded $400 5 mins ago and still have the debit/credit options. (SoCal)
    Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
    Well, she is a heavy MS-er, so are several other blogger and non-blogger, therefore they go the extra steps of dipping, so I don't see what's wrong with that as such.

My mantra when it comes to churning and MS is do what makes sense to you and what you're comfortable doing, don't compete with others.
    Not sure about whether she is a heavy MS-er. She wrote multiple blog entries on her journey to MS $80K or close to that in three months and if I remember correctly, she concluded that it was challenging.

There are more than a few people on FT who do that kind of spending in a month.
    Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
    That's quite a chunk of change for a side hobby!
    I don't do anything close to 80K, but if you live in a densely populated big city (Chicago, BOS, NYC, SF) and/or in close proximity to Target/CVS/MO issuers, then I think an hour a day should get you $80K a month. Downtown Chicago has three TGT, and a few Wallgreens and CVS within 15 to 20 blocks of each other.
    Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:20 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uPantcho
    i think the cashier has the option beforehand to select debit. i remember once a cashier made a split payment on a 1000 dollar load and it didnt ask for debit or credit

i may be wrong but i believe this is also a workaround to chipped debit cards. if you only insert at the machine it tries to run credit. i saw someone here saying (maybe noonradar?) that the cashier can select debt beforehand
    Yesterday I witnessed a guy trying to use a chip debit card to pay his regular Target credit card at the POS. The cashier told him it would not work, that the register only takes swipe debit card and cannot accommodate the chip debit card! Obviously this CSR has no idea he could pre-select debit at his side. He did not know how to load RB with the new machine either, despite I told him to use K8. He had to call a manager who came and tried to figure it out, then she said it was K8 and the another K8. Oddly, at the same location, there are at least 3 other cashiers know how to do the load with the new system, one even was able to do a $1K split payments. Though we find out that if anything goes wrong on the new system, it would freeze the register!
    Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by uPantcho

That is correct, I noticed that since August when I wrote the K8 guide. However, from personal experience it is not conclusive, that is the cashier selecting debit doesn't always makes the cust service terminal not give an option to select debit/credit.

The last time I loaded (about a week ago?) it was at the cust service desk so I couldn't see the cashier screen, but I had to walk him through so he would say the steps out-loud, I guess to make sure I'd hear them in case he wasn't doing it correctly. So after I told him to select debit, I heard him the next two times say "selecting debit" on that step, yet I still got prompted to select debit/credit.

All in all its not a big deal at all to me, just one thing/screen to press on, it won't make much diff to me whether that prompt on the cust terminal comes up or not. Just trying to clarify since we're talking about it.
    Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:18 pm

I just went to Target to load $2000 using 4x $500 OVVGC. First load of $1000 split tender of $500 and $500 went through just fine. Then proceeded to load the second $1000, the receipt printed through just fine but with a another receipt that says " We can't process complete this request. Please call the number printed on the card." and the balance on that normal load receipt said N/A

The $1000 was removed form my VGCs and never showed up on my RB Account.

I called customer care and they said the money will go back onto the VGC but I don't know how true that it. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, I noticed when loaded the cards the credit card terminal had slightly different options when loading the card. I believe it was "Press __ for credit" or something similar to that. It didn't look familiar.

The customer care rep for RB also said that the policy changed to cash only for RB loads and was surprised that I was able to load with debit. I don't know how true this is or if she was referring to a manager discretion for loads or a system update. Time will tell. I just hope I get my $1000 back sooner than later.
    Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:19 pm

YMMV.

Last edited by Chelski; Jan 9, 2016 at 9:01 am
    Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:11 am

I just tried loading $500 at Target and tow receipts printed out.

the 1st one said:
    We're Sorry!
    This transaction can't go through right now.
    Please try again later or check the packe to contact the Card issuer.
    The 2nd receipt was the RC receipt, it kinda showed it loaded, but didn't show the balance.

When I checked my RC, it shows a load and a reversal, and my vgc is now $0!

Will the funds show up on my VGC or eventually on my RC?
    Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
    I just tried loading $500 at Target and tow receipts printed out.

the 1st one said:

The 2nd receipt was the RC receipt, it kinda showed it loaded, but didn't show the balance.

When I checked my RC, it shows a load and a reversal, and my vgc is now $0!

Will the funds show up on my VGC or eventually on my RC?
    Sounds like a hiccup with the Redbird network (based on load and reversal, it did the same back in Feb when a lot of us had that happen). Wait 24 hrs or so for the money to go back to the gift card (it should) then take it from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.