Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

• Your debit card online through your Account
• Cash at a Target Store
• Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the card’s load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own driver’s license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I can’t promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    • Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    • Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
    Originally Posted by jediwho
    Totally agree. I have three RBs and I I used to do no more than two loads at a time -- that meant going to TGT seven times a month. Doing 12 $200 loads is completely out.

Just to give you an example of how much chaos multiple loads creates: I went to Target to load $2,500 in my 3 RB on May 5th -- so a total of nine loads. I completed my first load ($1K, $1K and $500) and saw that the line behind me was long. So, I decided to go to the back of the line and come again.

Met the same person again and she asked me if this was my final card, I said no, I have one more. It ended up creating the biggest scene. She went to the security person and talked to her for a minute or two. They both came over and asked me why I was not completing my loads in one go. I told them the people behind me were waiting and I was just trying to be nice. The security person said, I can’t do that and need to now complete both RB loads together. I said fine.

After the second card was loaded, the rep was still nervous and goes to the security person. She comes back and said, OK this is your final load, you can not load any more than $10,000 in one day. Anyway, I loaded by third RB with $2,500 and left.

Now imagine doing 12 loads. Most of my MS going forward would be to meet the minimum spending requirement for a new card or maintaining status (Ritz Carlton).

There are definitely some creative ways, assuming debit loads are allowed, and I will be optimizing them to the best of my knowledge and convenience.
    Maybe you can:

Find times of day, days of the week, when CS is usually not busy.

Find CSRs who are not so paranoid.

Buy $500 GCs so you only have to load 5 cards per RB per visit. And then maybe visit 6 times a month to load all of your RB cards loading one card per visit.
    Old May 7, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
    Where To Buy $500 Vanilla Cards

Several people are reporting that "vanilla cards work fine" w/RB.

I don't have an Ink, and don't relish the idea of loading $200 GCs one after another.

I looked up CVS Vanilla FT threads, and it seems they are cash only on all types. I've checked and my local grocery stores don't seem to carry them.

Is there somewhere I can buy $500 Vanilla cards, and how much are the fees?
    Old May 7, 2015, 1:33 pm

What kind of VGC? I saw these at my OD store, but I'm not sure which ones to buy and for how much... Can you all tell me which one should I buy and for how much each?

Old May 7, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
    I think when CS is busy that is the best time to load. Now would I run 4 cards on 4 different transactions? Absolutely not, but I used to work at target and when there is a long line sometimes procedural things are skipped. Such as checking ID. It's very easy just to press K1 to go past whatever screen comes up.

When it is busy I NEVER do more than 2 transactions.
    Old May 7, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by stutz88
    What kind of VGC? I saw these at my OD store, but I'm not sure which ones to buy and for how much... Can you all tell me which one should I buy and for how much each?

The fixed amount Visa's are on special at OD this week and next, $20 off $300. Buy 3 $200 (white with green "gift" on the front in your pic) at a time ($600 total) and save $40 which covers the fees and gives you a $19 profit before CC rewards. The $50-500 ones are probably cash/debit only - they are at my ODs anyway.
    Old May 7, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
    Anyone having problems logging into Redcard today? I have 3 cards. One works fine, but 2 say the answer to my security question is wrong (which it is not) - caps lock is not on but that usually doesn't matter with with security questions.

Tried their reset.. and nothing was sent to my email.

Thanks.
    Old May 7, 2015, 1:55 pm

Just another data point:

Just came back from Target loading 2 x $100 Vanilla Visas (from OD) and 2 x $200 Metabank Visas from Staples. The 2 $100 cards were purchased from OD yesterday and failed to load about an hour after purchase, but loaded fine today. The 2 $200 cards were purchased from Staples just 5 minutes prior to loading and also worked fine (then again, I've never had a problem loading these to my old Serve at WM immediately after purchasing them). But it looks like the Vanilla cards from OM/OD require at least a few hours (more than 1, less than 20 in my case) before they can be loaded.
    Old May 7, 2015, 2:02 pm

I think simon gc's come in increments of 500 and are only ~3.00 ea.
    Old May 7, 2015, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by slhansen219
    Anyone having problems logging into Redcard today? I have 3 cards. One works fine, but 2 say the answer to my security question is wrong (which it is not) - caps lock is not on but that usually doesn't matter with with security questions.

Thanks.
    Did you check the box to remember the answer to your security question? Don't do that. Try logging on in a different browser.
    Old May 7, 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Steven58
    If only they could still be bought with AGCs. Though that may just be my particular mall being annoying.
    Old May 7, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by nivekious
    If only they could still be bought with AGCs. Though that may just be my particular mall being annoying.
    All the Simon I regularly frequent had stopped taking AGCs.
    Old May 7, 2015, 2:27 pm
    Suspended

Originally Posted by shadow520
    The fixed amount Visa's are on special at OD this week and next, $20 off $300. Buy 3 $200 (white with green "gift" on the front in your pic) at a time ($600 total) and save $40 which covers the fees and gives you a $19 profit before CC rewards. The $50-500 ones are probably cash/debit only - they are at my ODs anyway.
    All the $20-500s wont be sold if youre using a CC to pay for them,period. The $200 fixed should have a fee of $6.95 while the $100s is $5.95, check when buying Vanilla GCs since Ive seen where they charged more for certain $20-500 cards at times, then the reg $5.95 fee
    Old May 7, 2015, 2:29 pm
    Suspended

Originally Posted by Steven58
    thats if you are paying ca$h otherwise its more, and corp accts have a higher max per GC as well
    Old May 7, 2015, 2:34 pm

Thanks.
    slhansen219, sounds like a corrupted session or cookie error. You can open a 'incognito' or 'private browsing' tab and try again, or close ALL of your open browser tabs/windows, then reopen and try again.
    Old May 7, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB

Thanks.
    I've had this problem too. What I've been able to do is use the link from the email confirming the password reset and then I'm able to get in.

I think I need to clear out my cookies.........but only with a tall glass of cold milk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.