Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

Your debit card online through your Account
Cash at a Target Store
Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the cards load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own drivers license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I cant promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by protagonist
    If I try to pay my real estate tax with my Redcard and give the city clerk's office as the address (where payments are addressed if by check), will it go through as cash or a check (as if I mailed a check myself)?

Or will it go through as a credit/debit card transaction which would trigger the fees?
    If you pay with Redbird outside of its online billpay website, it will likely process as credit card, whether you swipe it or enter the card info online onto a third party website.

If you pay it via billpay on its website, it will likely mail the payee a check (unless it has an electronic acct with them).
    Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Diamond
    Originally Posted by sateran
    Awesome thank you! I have my AMEX PRG and Everyday on their way to me now. Just got approved for those with a $1k minimum on each card. I'll go back and forth between them all.
    Wanted to point out that the best Amex card for this *might* be the Blue card. You get a 30% bonus, so effectively you get 1.3 Amex points/dollar.
    Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
    Originally Posted by JamieDee78
    .... First card, Citi AA was somehow rejected after giving her the last 4 digits of CC #. Didn't want to hold up the line so pulled out my BA+ which worked. Guess it went better than expected. Hopefully on future trips I have no problems with other cashiers! (& my Citi AA works!)
    My Citi AA card is always a hiccup for me. Now I call BEFORE I get out of my car to notify Citi that I'll be spending a large amount, takes about 3 to 5 minutes but I breeze through the check-out when I do that.
    Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
    I noticed the employees are pushing ONLINE surveys on the receipts. I advise everyone to give a 10 out of 10 rating to everyone who does your loads. Gives them confidence. I've been putting in the comments their names and how knoweldgeable they are with loading cards with a smile. Might give them that extra confidence to keep feeding us loads.
    Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
    I noticed the employees are pushing ONLINE surveys on the receipts. I advise everyone to give a 10 out of 10 rating to everyone who does your loads. Gives them confidence. I've been putting in the comments their names and how knoweldgeable they are with loading cards with a smile. Might give them that extra confidence to keep feeding us loads.
    Unless they ask for ID. We should complain about that in the survey.
    Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: Far too many
    Originally Posted by protagonist
    My city allows real estate tax to be paid by check or cash with no fee, but charges usurious fees to pay with a credit card and I assume debit card (credit cards go through a third party called Unipay).

If I try to pay my real estate tax with my Redcard and give the city clerk's office as the address (where payments are addressed if by check), will it go through as cash or a check (as if I mailed a check myself)?

Or will it go through as a credit/debit card transaction which would trigger the fees?

And if this would work, should I list the city as a "business" or "personal" payee? (It is technically neither- it is a government).

Or would the better approach be to take the money out via ATM and pay in person, or transfer the money to a bank account and pay with a personal check (to avoid the fee) ? I assume these would work but adds another layer of complexity.

I'm new to Redcard. Still learning. Thanks in advance.
    I would have a check made out to the city tax collector, but mailed to my address. Then include the voucher when you mail or bring the payment in. Allow ample time--there are many reports of delays in Redbird mailed payments.
    Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by BeyondtheWrap
    I get why some don't want IDs checked, but I am definitely on the side of them asking for IDs. I think people abusing this with more then 2 cards is going to be the reason for this coming to an end. Target/Amex are hoping that people spend money in target to counter the fees, but if someone has 4 cards, they could never cover the ~$600 in cc fees.

If they were smart about this and wanted foot traffic, they should consider keeping the monthly $5k limit, and changing the daily limit to $200-500 loads. It would cause people to go into target so many times a month, where they are bound to buy something eventually.
    Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
    I get why some don't want IDs checked, but I am definitely on the side of them asking for IDs. I think people abusing this with more then 2 cards is going to be the reason for this coming to an end.
    I think you're way off. I'm guessing Target is primarily concerned about fraud, not me putting money with my legitimate credit cards (which is an allowed by Target tender of payment as of now) into a prepaid acct that is on someone else's name. Not very different than me depositing a check on a friend's checking acct; the bank cares to get the money and prefers to trace it (non-cash) but could care less if it is me or him/her depositing that money.

Besides just guessing, I've read at least one comment (probably on DD?) where someone was specifically told by a Target manager that the reason they lowered the daily load limit to Redbird (on that particular store) was fraud concerns.
    Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by BeyondtheWrap
    Why?
    Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
    I think you're way off. I'm guessing Target is primarily concerned about fraud, not me putting money with my legitimate credit cards (which is an allowed by Target tender of payment as of now) into a prepaid acct that is on someone else's name. Not very different than me depositing a check on a friend's checking acct; the bank cares to get the money and prefers to trace it (non-cash) but could care less if it is me or him/her depositing that money.

Besides just guessing, I've read at least one comment (probably on DD?) where someone was specifically told by a Target manager that the reason they lowered the daily load limit to Redbird (on that particular store) was fraud concerns.
    I mean it's pretty obvious that target/amex is losing 2-3% every dollar someone adds with a cc. That can't be sustained in the long run, unless I am overestimating the amount of MS done on the redcard. It's the reason why most MS gets shut down, cause the fees outweigh the potential gains the company could make off of it.

I think you are saying they check the IDs because of fraud, which is probably true. I'm talking about the bigger picture, and how to make this form of MS last. The more saturated this gets, the faster it will be over.

Ultimately it's going to be a combination of "fraud" and fees that puts this to an end, but let's take advantage when we can. Checking IDs can cover both ends for target, which is why it's something that should be done.
    Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:32 pm

I get why some don't want IDs checked, but I am definitely on the side of them asking for IDs.
    I agree. I'd like to see Target enforce IDs for all loads as it will reduce the abuse of the system and maybe keep it around for a month or two longer. As for your other point, I'd be bummed if Target reduced the per-day max to a few hundred a day, but I think it's a fair bet that's the direction they'll go as well. I'm a fair weather MS user, and I'd stop loading if the daily maximum was, say, $400.
    Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by cubachao
    I did my first load today as well. I have two cards. the register did five times for me( 1k, 1k, 500, then 1k, 1k, 500). she did look a bit annoyed and do not know if this is the right way to do it. Since the prepaid card does not sale in Greater Nashville area.

when I back from home, Chase did call me ask about the transitions, I just told them I bought Gift cards for family.
    I did my first load on Starwood Amex at customer care desk at the local Target- just under $1000. (that does not sell Redcards).

She knew immediately what to do and did it efficiently....it went through no problem.

I tried a second and it was disallowed by Starwood Amex. Instead I put it on a Chase card and it went through immediately. I put a third on a different Chase card and it also went through immediately.
    Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:54 pm

I mean it's pretty obvious that target/amex is losing 2-3% every dollar someone adds with a cc. That can't be sustained in the long run, unless I am overestimating the amount of MS done on the redcard. It's the reason why most MS gets shut down, cause the fees outweigh the potential gains the company could make off of it.

I think you are saying they check the IDs because of fraud, which is probably true. I'm talking about the bigger picture, and how to make this form of MS last. The more saturated this gets, the faster it will be over.

Ultimately it's going to be a combination of "fraud" and fees that puts this to an end, but let's take advantage when we can. Checking IDs can cover both ends for target, which is why it's something that should be done.
    I'm fairly certain Target pays less than 2% on credit card fees, did you see Costco's deal with Citi? Apparently near 0.
    Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by terpfan101
    I'm fairly certain Target pays less than 2% on credit card fees, did you see Costco's deal with Citi? Apparently near 0.
    Yeah I agree they probably have an extremely low rate, so maybe they are closer to breaking even then I thought. Stills goes back to the fact that they don't want to lose money doing this. The other reason I can see them keeping it going is to make their revenue look stronger then it really is...
    Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:31 pm

They ask for my ID every time. But I'm in FL and they're not used to the cards. I'm also loading at least a grand. But still.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.