Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

• Your debit card online through your Account
• Cash at a Target Store
• Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the card’s load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own driver’s license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I can’t promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    • Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    • Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:44 pm

Yes, I did use my DL and SSN to buy the card. But the system asked me to contact CSC after I input all my info. I was wondering whether I already have a REDcard in my name and SSN make the difference.

Originally Posted by macrophage
    You buy a prepaid RedCard for YOURSELF, but you register it under someone else.
    Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by yansh
    Yes, I did use my DL and SSN to buy the card. But the system asked me to contact CSC after I input all my info. I was wondering whether I already have a REDcard in my name and SSN make the difference.
    Was this the register system at the store?

How many were you trying to buy? It's one per SSN per day.
    Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:56 pm

yes, it is the register system at the store. I am only buying 1. And I tried two stores, same problem.

Originally Posted by macrophage
    Was this the register system at the store?

How many were you trying to buy? It's one per SSN per day.
    Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by yansh
    yes, it is the register system at the store. I am only buying 1. And I tried two stores, same problem.
    The only thing I can think of is that someone who entered random digits for SSN used yours.

Next time you try, enter random numbers...
    Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin

You do know that you can buy Disney GCs at Kroger and utilize OBC (and also get fuel rewards)? Don't know the volume you are doing, but that's one option.
    Of course I'm familiar with that method. I've done it before but I don't need that many gas points. I don't have any Vons gas stations to take full advantage of all those gas points.
    Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20

Why not buy a small GC (say $25) and test it out. If you aren't able to do it, then you will know w/o spending a lot of money.
    That's my plan. I was hoping someone would know so I could avoid the trip to the store.
    Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
    Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
    LOL @ at a post trying to sound all-knowing that couldn't be further from the truth. Buying cash equivalents with verifiable CC transactions, liquidating, and then paying off the CC used is not MLing. And I've got news for you. ML operations aren't buying money orders to "clean" the money. There's no point as it still doesn't hide the source of the money. MLers use cash generated illegally to purchase legitimate businesses to generate "clean" income, buy inventory they never plan to sell (but sell on the books to "clean" cash), recapitalize existing businesses, or just flat out spend the money.

And structuring isn't MLing. The structuring laws are to identify MLing or other illegal activities. If someone sells illegal drugs and then deposits the cash in $2900 amounts every day, they aren't MLing. They are purposely trying to circumvent federal reporting requirements to avoid scrutiny into where the money is coming from. The money still isn't clean.
    Poorly written on my part. MSing is not ML. However, many MS transactions share ML techniques. Such as buying prepaid debit cards, MOs, and making large cash deposits at banks. If you follow all of the posts (by clicking on the quotes), you'll get back to the point where I stated that MSers could get accused of ML. In no way did I mean to imply that MS is ML. It is not. Is MS a violation of most CC T&Cs? Yes. ML? No.

Frankly, I don't know enough about ML and I don't want to learn about it from someone investigating from a bank/CC company/govt. For that reason, I structure my very limited MSing in a manner that a first grader could understand.
    CC > RB > Mortgage/Brokerage. That's it. No MOs, no cash withdrawals and subsequent bank deposits, etc.

http://www.regblog.org/2014/04/10/10...an-gift-cards/

http://www.fatf-gafi.org/pages/faq/moneylaundering/
    From the second link:
    "How is money laundered?
    In the initial - or placement - stage of money laundering, the launderer introduces his illegal profits into the financial system. This might be done by breaking up large amounts of cash into less conspicuous smaller sums that are then deposited directly into a bank account, or by purchasing a series of monetary instruments (cheques, money orders, etc.) that are then collected and deposited into accounts at another location."

In MS, you are using a CC to purchase many of the same financial instruments used by MLers who use cash instead of a CC. This is why one reads of the occasional bank audit/postal inspector/etc investigating MSers for ML.
    Why do you think that postal inspectors have questioned some MSers for their MO purchases? If there's another reason than suspected ML, I'd love to know your thoughts because I'd like to avoid any appearance of some other criminal activity.

My apologies if my post made it sound like I have an indepth understanding of ML; I don't. I was merely trying to say (poorly) that MSing can look like ML. In my uninformed opinion.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Feb 23, 2015 at 4:11 pm
    Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:55 pm

same problem, spent 30 min on the phone with redcard customer service, was told it was system issue, lots of stores across the country had same issue and they are working on that, should be resolved in few days.
    Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:52 pm

sorry for the noob question but how can I pay my CC bill with redcard?
    Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
    Originally Posted by backflash
    sorry for the noob question but how can I pay my CC bill with redcard?

There's a set of horizontal bars to the right of your available balance (top right). Click on the bars.

In the dropdown menu, click on 'Pay and Transfer'

Click on 'Pay Bills'

Click on 'Add Payee'

Type in CC company.
    Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
    I'm looking to buy $700 in discounted Disney gift cards. I tried going to target.com and taking a $50 gift card to checkout; turns out I do get the 5% discount when using RB. But that's not enough.

I bought a $109 item (after tax) in Dec and used $100 in Target gift cards. I used the RB to pay the remaining $9, and actually got 5% off the total-- not just the portion paid with RB. I don't have any Target gift cards now but in thinking of going to Staples buying $650 in Target gift cards and then paying the final $50 with RB. Based on my experience with the toy I bought in December, this should work. But I don't want to get stuck with $650 in Target gift cards if I don't get the 5% RB discount on the whole purchase. Anybody have experience doing this?
    I bought about $1000 in disney gift cards from target last month. I didn't put any of it on my Target Credit Card or RB. At Target check out you initially say you want to pay w/ cc then make sure it deducts 5%. then pay with gc.

FYI My total Disney savings is about 20%. Sunshine Rewards 1% towards Raise Target gift cards 5-8% off. Purchased with SW cc 1.6%. Used Ultimate Rewards Portal for Target..com in hopes that I will get 2%. Of course, Target 5% off. Added to Disney vacation Account for 2%. Also, had to meet SW plus minimum spend so that should go for a % or 2.

oops edit. At Target.com check out you initially enter pay w/ cc

Last edited by jaccceee; Feb 23, 2015 at 6:06 pm
    Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
    Originally Posted by jaccceee
    I bought about $1000 in disney gift cards from target last month. I didn't put any of it on my Target Credit Card or RB. At Target check out you initially say you want to pay w/ cc then make sure it deducts 5%. then pay with gc.

FYI My total Disney savings is about 20%. Sunshine Rewards 1% towards Raise Target gift cards 5-8% off. Purchased with SW cc 1.6%. Used Ultimate Rewards Portal for Target..com in hopes that I will get 2%. Of course, Target 5% off. Added to Disney vacation Account for 2%. Also, had to meet SW plus minimum spend so that should go for a % or 2.
    what do you mean by "make sure it deducts 5%. then pay with gc." the cashier doesn't initiate the 5% off, the register does.
    Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by indelible
    what do you mean by "make sure it deducts 5%. then pay with gc." the cashier doesn't initiate the 5% off, the register does.
    @Target.com, make sure you see the 5% off your bill before you check out. Sometimes people forget that it's an instant 5% off because most cards aren't like that. You won't be a able to fix it with customer service later because your not actually using CC or RB.
    Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
    Originally Posted by jaccceee
    @Target.com, make sure you see the 5% off your bill before you check out. Sometimes people forget that it's an instant 5% off because most cards aren't like that. You won't be a able to fix it with customer service later because your not actually using CC or RB.
    oh target.com, you didn't specify. you said "At Target check out you initially say you want to pay w/ cc" so I thought you meant at B&M.
    Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:21 pm

I have a bunch of Visa gift cards from rebate offers. I want to drain them with the redcard. Can I just say I want to load $1000 and swipe a bunch of different cards in the same transaction or do I need to tell them exactly what is on the gift card?

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.