FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

Carl Nov 8, 2015 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 25681902)
Square flags swiped VGCs and shut down accounts. One can probably do $1K max before they catch up and see VGCs as payment.

GTK. I wasn't advocating buying VGCs at all, as that would increase the cost significantly. Just thinking if the only goal is min spend, it would be far easier to do that via Square (using the card itself) than to drive 100 miles to a store.

ninetwosix Nov 8, 2015 1:07 pm

I signed up for one of the new Serve cards and was charged $3.74 to load $500. Should I switch my card to the green one for no-fee loading?

Chelski Nov 8, 2015 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by 9volt (Post 25681922)
When paying a bill, can it be split among two different Serve cards?

For instance, I'm trying to pay off my AAdvantage Exec $7,500 min spend in one shot. The max load for each Serve card is $5,000/month.

So can I use one Serve card to pay off $5,000 of the total, then use another Serve card to pay off the remaining $2,500?

Yes.

Mamibear Nov 8, 2015 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Carl (Post 25681967)
GTK. I wasn't advocating buying VGCs at all, as that would increase the cost significantly. Just thinking if the only goal is min spend, it would be far easier to do that via Square (using the card itself) than to drive 100 miles to a store.

you have to remember that if you swipe your CC or someone in your HH with a different name but same address, this will also be flagged. I've read many were shutdown and told via emails they were swiping their own CCs which goes against their T&C.

If one has friends/families they can swipe their CCs on each other's Square accounts, maybe...just maybe they won't easily catch that.

Carl Nov 8, 2015 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 25682004)
you have to remember that if you swipe your CC or someone in your HH with a different name but same address, this will also be flagged. I've read many were shutdown and told via emails they were swiping their own CCs which goes against the rules.

If one has friends/families they can swipe their CCs on each other's Square accounts, maybe...just maybe they won't easily catch that.

Thanks. Didn't realize it violated their ToS, though that makes sense. I wasn't trying to advocate something against their rules; it just seemed logical and unlikely to trigger and major concerns of only being done for $1-$3k min spend over three months.

Mamibear Nov 8, 2015 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by ninetwosix (Post 25681998)
I signed up for one of the new Serve cards and was charged $3.74 to load $500. Should I switch my card to the green one for no-fee loading?

do you like to pay the monthly maintenance fee? unless you're a resident of NY,TX or VT or you're fine with paying maintenance fee, then go ahead and switch to green S.

if you'd rather not pay fees, register for OneVIP online.

Chelski Nov 9, 2015 5:43 am

OneVIP question: has anyone withdrawn at a regular ATM at Walmart? The Walmart by me says there is an operator charge of $1.50. Is this something that generally gets waived or stuck paying it? I will use a regular bank account if that is a hard charge based on the ATM operator. There is nothing in the wiki about the OneVIP ATM charges. The OneVIP sight appears to say there may be operator charges and I am wanting to determine if the fee is likely to be waived or not.

Joshy119 Nov 9, 2015 6:07 am

On the serve website there is a link of their fee free ATMs

I want to say there are something like 24k. Is walmart on the list?

TMM1982 Nov 9, 2015 6:08 am

Folks, as promised, I wanted to share my data point regarding whether Serve still counts towards min spend in light of some recent posts.

Was approved for AMEX Card in early October. Did 5 loads at Serve totaling $1,000, no other spend, and the points have posted. And this is an AMEX AMEX card that posts MR.

Mamibear Nov 9, 2015 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Joshy119 (Post 25684750)
On the serve website there is a link of their fee free ATMs

I want to say there are something like 24k. Is walmart on the list?

IINM, WM Kates have the MoneyPass stickers and it is free to w/d Serve/BB/other prepaids at MoneyPass. I did a trial w/d from Serve one time but saw the message that x.xx fee (can't remember exact fee) was being charged so I cancelled transaction. I just do all my atm w/d at nearby USB atms for free.

Joshy119 Nov 9, 2015 6:17 am

Chelski, smarter people than I can answer you re ATM (mamibear)

I will add I thought I remembered seeing data points that frequent ATM WD are frowned upon.

Carl Nov 9, 2015 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Chelski (Post 25684678)
OneVIP question: has anyone withdrawn at a regular ATM at Walmart? The Walmart by me says there is an operator charge of $1.50. Is this something that generally gets waived or stuck paying it? I will use a regular bank account if that is a hard charge based on the ATM operator. There is nothing in the wiki about the OneVIP ATM charges. The OneVIP sight appears to say there may be operator charges and I am wanting to determine if the fee is likely to be waived or not.

Use the Serve ATM locator. Some WMTs (the ones with Kate) do qualify, but others do not. Many typically find it easier to use a participating credit union ATM with higher withdrawal limits (so you don't have to do multiple transactions to get to $750).

Chelski Nov 9, 2015 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 25684757)
I did a trial w/d from Serve one time but saw the message that x.xx fee (can't remember exact fee) was being charged so I cancelled transaction. I just do all my atm w/d at nearby USB atms for free.

Originally Posted by Joshy119 (Post 25684773)
I will add I thought I remembered seeing data points that frequent ATM WD are frowned upon.

Originally Posted by Carl (Post 25686092)
Many typically find it easier to use a participating credit union ATM with higher withdrawal limits (so you don't have to do multiple transactions to get to $750).

Thanks al for your responses. It appears MoneyPass (Kate's) are ok but other basic ATMs at WM may have an operator charge.

I was only looking to withdraw because I need to get some cash and was already in WM so I figured I'd make it easy but saw the fee and cancelled. I usually just pay CCs or billpay misc items such as HOA/fees.

Mamibear Nov 9, 2015 12:40 pm

New terms for Serve-Softcard accounts effective 1/6/16

Hello xxxxxxx,

We are writing to let you know about the following changes we are making to your American Express Serve Softcard Account:

New Monthly Fee & Fee Waiver
Starting on January 6, 2016, there will be a $4.95 Monthly Fee for your American Express Serve Softcard Account. This fee will be waived if you Direct Deposit money onto your Account during a monthly statement period.

Early Direct Deposit
Early Direct Deposit is now available for your American Express Serve Softcard Account. Early Direct Deposit allows you to get your paycheck or government benefits up to 2 days before payday1.

Click here to access your American Express Serve Softcard Account. If you have any questions, our Customer Care team is here to assist you 24/7.

Thank you,

The American Express Serve Team xxxxxxxx

:( the only thing constant is change.

Happy Nov 9, 2015 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25684751)
Folks, as promised, I wanted to share my data point regarding whether Serve still counts towards min spend in light of some recent posts.

Was approved for AMEX Card in early October. Did 5 loads at Serve totaling $1,000, no other spend, and the points have posted. And this is an AMEX AMEX card that posts MR.

We know the Serve load would count for meeting spend requirement to earn INITIAL sign up bonus.

So far there is no success report on Serve load would earn SPEND Points, or meet Spend Threshold (OBC) or qualified for earning EQMs (DL Plat).

So Exactly what you earned? If it is sign up bonus, that is not a news. If it is for spending bonus, then it is something new. Kindly give some clarification so your post would provide real information?

gimmeyourmiles Nov 9, 2015 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25684751)

Is the max $2,500 for loads a month at walmart kiosks with $1,000 max a day with the oneVIP?

Phantom707 Nov 9, 2015 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by gimmeyourmiles (Post 25687065)
Is the max $2,500 for loads a month at walmart kiosks with $1,000 max a day with the oneVIP?

Max per transaction is $1000.

Max per day is $2500.

Max per month is $5000.

This applies to both kiosks and cashiers.

macrophage Nov 9, 2015 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25687164)
Max per transaction is $1000.

Max per day is $2500.

Max per month is $5000.

This applies to both kiosks and cashiers.

So for those transitioning from Target's Red Card, basically the SAME THING

memphian901 Nov 9, 2015 3:41 pm

you can't split the transaction though using KATE, correct?

can you split the transaction thru a cashier though?

Phantom707 Nov 9, 2015 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by memphian901 (Post 25687799)

No splitting at the kiosk.

You can use up to four card swipes at a cashier. That includes the Serve card itself. That means you can do three debit cards at once.

Chelski Nov 9, 2015 5:23 pm

Time is your enemy at Kate so you don't want to do anything that would speed the process up.

Mamibear Nov 9, 2015 5:34 pm

as mentioned, you can split tender using up to 3 DCs max. tell cashier full amount you want to load. let's say $500. they key in this amount, you press yes to confirm before you start swiping your DCs. Before swiping first card, tell them how much on DC#1, say $250, they key in this amount before you swipe your DC, enter PIN, no CB, Approved. tell cashier how much on DC#2, say $200, they key it in again before you swipe DC#2, wait till Approved flashes and the remaining balance of $50 will be paid by DC#3. Approved. Receipt prints for $500 load with amounts from each DC recorded separately so you can track what amount was taken from which DC.

fckzzz Nov 9, 2015 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Porker (Post 25665926)
I believe somewhere I recently read someone else having this same issue, and if I remember correctly it was fixed after a logout/login.

I successfully changed my funding card over to Chase BA about 10 days ago, without complication.

Thank you. I was able to change the funding card :)

TMM1982 Nov 10, 2015 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 25686845)
We know the Serve load would count for meeting spend requirement to earn INITIAL sign up bonus.

So far there is no success report on Serve load would earn SPEND Points, or meet Spend Threshold (OBC) or qualified for earning EQMs (DL Plat).

So Exactly what you earned? If it is sign up bonus, that is not a news. If it is for spending bonus, then it is something new. Kindly give some clarification so your post would provide real information?

Happy you're out of touch with recent happenings. Several people, across various sites, have reported that their serve loads were NOT counting towards initial min spend. In fact, the terms listed under AMEX CC do state that the reloading of a prepaid card will NOT count towards meeting initial spend. So when people post that their SERVE loads are NOT earning initial spend sign up bonuses, it makes sense.

I'm telling you and others, that in my case the SERVE loads DID count for my initial spend bonus. Make sense?

briang191 Nov 10, 2015 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Joshy119 (Post 25684773)
Chelski, smarter people than I can answer you re ATM (mamibear)

All Walgreen ATMs machines (navy federal) are fee free. the screen says you will be charged but it's waived. I withdraw money every month no issues at all

exarkun Nov 10, 2015 8:09 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25689860)
Happy you're out of touch with recent happenings. Several people, across various sites, have reported that their serve loads were NOT counting towards initial min spend. In fact, the terms listed under AMEX CC do state that the reloading of a prepaid card will NOT count towards meeting initial spend. So when people post that their SERVE loads are NOT earning initial spend sign up bonuses, it makes sense.

I'm telling you and others, that in my case the SERVE loads DID count for my initial spend bonus. Make sense?

Where is there a report of it not qualifying for minimum spend?

trouble747 Nov 10, 2015 8:13 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25689860)

Which card, though? It wasn't clear from your post...

TMM1982 Nov 10, 2015 9:41 am

Originally Posted by trouble747 (Post 25691139)
Which card, though? It wasn't clear from your post...

Green Card, hence why I said AMEX AMEX

TMM1982 Nov 10, 2015 9:42 am

Originally Posted by exarkun (Post 25691111)
Where is there a report of it not qualifying for minimum spend?

I saw plenty of posts at Reddit from users claiming that their SERVE loads were not counting towards initial spend bonus.

trouble747 Nov 10, 2015 9:44 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25691697)
Green Card, hence why I said AMEX AMEX

Gotcha. Wasn't aware that's what it referred to.

TMM1982 Nov 10, 2015 9:47 am

Originally Posted by trouble747 (Post 25691715)
Gotcha. Wasn't aware that's what it referred to.

All of the in house AMEX cards Green, Gold, Premier, Plat, Blue Cash, EDP, etc. are AMEX AMEX. Something like Fidelity AMEX would be non Amex Amex.

trouble747 Nov 10, 2015 9:49 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25691731)
All of the in house AMEX cards Green, Gold, Premier, Plat, Blue Cash, EDP, etc. are AMEX AMEX. Something like Fidelity AMEX would be non Amex Amex.

Oh OK that I understand. What cards were at issue in other cases? I only recall one from this board...maybe a delta card or something?

DavidBRKLYN Nov 10, 2015 10:45 am

Sorry for newb question.

Been researching MS for a while in preparation for trying it out. Have a OneVIP on the way. Plan to buy GC and load at FD for the most part. Maybe KATE if I know I will be near one (none near where I live).

My question is about online loading. Know that online loads are for for amex only that they do not necessarily count towards min spend but might.

What about amex gifts cards? Can they be loaded online?

Mamibear Nov 10, 2015 10:47 am

Originally Posted by DavidBRKLYN (Post 25692060)
What about amex gifts cards? Can they be loaded online?

NO

in case you will ask what about in-store? NO

Chelski Nov 10, 2015 11:00 am

Originally Posted by briang191 (Post 25690790)
All Walgreen ATMs machines (navy federal) are fee free. the screen says you will be charged but it's waived. I withdraw money every month no issues at all

Thanks for your response. I have some debit cards that will show a fee but the bank/CU clearly states they will be waived at certain locations. I will have to try Walgreens sometime. I wonder if the 7-11s would work the same way that NF lists.

DavidBRKLYN Nov 10, 2015 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 25692071)
NO

in case you will ask what about in-store? NO

Thanks.

Didn't figure they would be, that would just be too easy...

TMM1982 Nov 10, 2015 11:27 am

Originally Posted by trouble747 (Post 25691740)
Oh OK that I understand. What cards were at issue in other cases? I only recall one from this board...maybe a delta card or something?

AMEX AMEX were in question. Non-AMEX AMEX have never been in doubt and many still earn spend points as well.

exarkun Nov 10, 2015 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25691704)
I saw plenty of posts at Reddit from users claiming that their SERVE loads were not counting towards initial spend bonus.

Not that many, and it looks to have been limited to maybe a brief period in September.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...gger/?sort=new

gimmeyourmiles Nov 10, 2015 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by macrophage (Post 25687251)
So for those transitioning from Target's Red Card, basically the SAME THING

Yes, this is great news :-) I found my new redbird

stark4 Nov 10, 2015 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 25686735)
Hello xxxxxxx,

We are writing to let you know about the following changes we are making to your American Express Serve Softcard Account:

New Monthly Fee & Fee Waiver
Starting on January 6, 2016, there will be a $4.95 Monthly Fee for your American Express Serve Softcard Account. This fee will be waived if you Direct Deposit money onto your Account during a monthly statement period.

Early Direct Deposit
Early Direct Deposit is now available for your American Express Serve Softcard Account. Early Direct Deposit allows you to get your paycheck or government benefits up to 2 days before payday1.

Click here to access your American Express Serve Softcard Account. If you have any questions, our Customer Care team is here to assist you 24/7.

Thank you,

The American Express Serve Team xxxxxxxx

:( the only thing constant is change.

I got the same thing. Look is Serve is a little strict now.