FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

Iron Man 11 Apr 3, 2015 1:39 pm

I've had the Serve card for a while and have just been doing the online cc loads for $1k. I never really looked into doing debit loads with VGC or AGC until recently when I got a couple of VGC from the Staples promo.

Perhaps it is just the walmarts in my area, but each time I have tried to load the serve with the VGC, I'm told that I can only use a bank debit card and not a gift card debit card. This was both at the registers and at customer service. The Kates are all broken. I've managed to finally liquidate the two VGCs that I had after multiple trips and register hopping.

Any suggestions to increase my success? I just say that I'm loading my Serve with a debit card and trying to shield my debit card from the cashier. If this is going to be the "normal", then buying and liquidating VGC or AGC is more trouble than its worth and I'll just switch to the Redcard.

Also can anyone confirm that AMEX cards, ie OBC or SPG, if they get bonuses, cash back or points when used to load Serve or Redcard. I have trouble understanding the wiki...

Thanks

satman40 Apr 3, 2015 2:28 pm

Use a VISA GIFT CARD, to load the Serve..and enter your pin,,

thewhitezone Apr 3, 2015 2:56 pm

I'm thinking of getting the Fidelity Amex to load Serve in light of the changes to which cards you can use. Any advice on the pros/cons of it? I have an AA Amex that I can use too but I have lots of other ways to earn AA miles and thinking a CB option is something I may want to add to my portfolio. I have the softserve version so a fee-free $1500/month seems a nice way to start earning some CB

mrmandel Apr 3, 2015 4:05 pm

Has anyone been rejected recently on a FD load by being the 2nd person to load a full $500 that day? I'm wondering if the system might have been relaxed but it's such a hassle when it fails I don't want to be a guinea pig.

David_ Apr 3, 2015 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by David_ (Post 24607994)
Has anyone loaded with a Chase Sapphire Preferred recently without getting hit with a cash advance fee?

Edit: Just loaded $320 and it hit deducted the cash advance limit. Hopefully it will post as a purchase.

Just posted but CA limit is still reduced.

Sale AMERICAN EXPRESS SERVE $320.00
Online, Mail, or Telephone transaction

Taco Island Apr 3, 2015 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by David_ (Post 24613772)
Just posted but CA limit is still reduced.

Sale AMERICAN EXPRESS SERVE $320.00
Online, Mail, or Telephone transaction

Read the wiki. Chase cards do that but the limit gets restored after a day or so.

DrForce Apr 3, 2015 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by mrmandel (Post 24613098)
Has anyone been rejected recently on a FD load by being the 2nd person to load a full $500 that day? I'm wondering if the system might have been relaxed but it's such a hassle when it fails I don't want to be a guinea pig.

Yes it happened to me about a month ago. The worst part is the money comes off of your gift card even though it doesn't load to Serve. The cashier has to reload the gift card after the failed Serve load.

Beetlesauce Apr 3, 2015 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by voodoomonkey (Post 24610460)
You know, you can still do the full $5k/month in VGC in addition to $1500 online.

Thanks. I thought the 5K max included the $1500 CC online. Now I know I can do up to $6500.

Beetlesauce Apr 3, 2015 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Iron Man 11 (Post 24612363)
I've had the Serve card for a while and have just been doing the online cc loads for $1k. I never really looked into doing debit loads with VGC or AGC until recently when I got a couple of VGC from the Staples promo.

Perhaps it is just the walmarts in my area, but each time I have tried to load the serve with the VGC, I'm told that I can only use a bank debit card and not a gift card debit card. This was both at the registers and at customer service. The Kates are all broken. I've managed to finally liquidate the two VGCs that I had after multiple trips and register hopping.

Any suggestions to increase my success? I just say that I'm loading my Serve with a debit card and trying to shield my debit card from the cashier. If this is going to be the "normal", then buying and liquidating VGC or AGC is more trouble than its worth and I'll just switch to the Redcard.

Also can anyone confirm that AMEX cards, ie OBC or SPG, if they get bonuses, cash back or points when used to load Serve or Redcard. I have trouble understanding the wiki...

Thanks

Here's what I do to load my debit gift cards to serve. First, I never bother with cust service. Always a line. Next I never bother with KATE. Always broken even though there's four Walmarts within 15 min of my place. Next I never bother with regular checkout cashiers.

What I do is to always use the self-checkout. Usually I buy a soda or gum. Then I walk to cashier manning the self checkout and say I want to load my bluebird. They are always facing you so they rarely see what cards you pull out once they start the process. I do the standard Visa debit Gift Card loads as many others have described (chg pmt, debit, enter pin). Always $500 at a time. If I need to load $1,000 I tell her I'll be loading $500 twice and switch between two gift cards without her seeing it.

So, again, I'm 100% issue free and line free using the self checkout. Even better, there's a 24 hr walmart near my place and I've stopped at 2:30am to load a card after a night out. Smooth as pie.

ericdabbs Apr 3, 2015 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by thewhitezone (Post 24612771)
I'm thinking of getting the Fidelity Amex to load Serve in light of the changes to which cards you can use. Any advice on the pros/cons of it? I have an AA Amex that I can use too but I have lots of other ways to earn AA miles and thinking a CB option is something I may want to add to my portfolio. I have the softserve version so a fee-free $1500/month seems a nice way to start earning some CB

Do you currently have an account with Fidelity? You will have to open up a Fidelity account in order to deposit any cash back unless you want to transfer the funds into an existing Fidelity account. Do you honestly want cash back as a reward?

In all honesty, I would not sign up for a CC just because a single MS method works. I mean I get you want to diversify but call me crazy but I have never heard of someone complain about having too many ways to earn AA miles and it sounds like travel is really more of the thing that fits your needs.

But just to answer your question about the Fidelity Amex card, I have the card and I like it. I have a Fidelity Roth IRA account already so it makes the decision easier for me and transfer my rewards to my Roth IA account. I already have other cards to take care of my travel needs.

mrmandel Apr 4, 2015 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Beetlesauce (Post 24614262)
Thanks. I thought the 5K max included the $1500 CC online. Now I know I can do up to $6500.

The monthly limit from all source is 10k, and I think yearly limit is 100k. If you max everything out it is possible to run into the 10k limit.

Mamibear Apr 4, 2015 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Beetlesauce (Post 24614262)

The $5K limit is only for in-store loads and for us who have SoftServe,an add'l $1.5K each for DC and CC total of $8K per month max on each account. For reg Serve, add'l $1K each for CC and DC online loads, max of $7K per month per account.

GuliaMax Apr 4, 2015 4:03 pm

I just tried to load my 3rd $200 load to Serve and the transaction was declined. I have already loaded successfully twice this month with this Citi AA M/C, but I'm sure this raised a flag since its only day 4 into the month. Citi left me a message concerned about fraudulent activity. If they ask me what I was buying, what should I say?

Last month I loaded with my SW Chase card, but I need minimum spend on this new card. I was trying to load ASAP because they will shut down V/MC loads later this month, but how often do you guys load?

I've only been MSing since 2014 and I'm trying to be cautious and not break any rules by saying the wrong thing to Citi

mrmandel Apr 4, 2015 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 24616611)
The $5K limit is only for in-store loads and for us who have SoftServe,an add'l $1.5K each for DC and CC total of $8K per month max on each account. For reg Serve, add'l $1K each for CC and DC online loads, max of $7K per month per account.

You're missing something.

Bluebirdie Apr 4, 2015 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by David_ (Post 24607994)
Has anyone loaded with a Chase Sapphire Preferred recently without getting hit with a cash advance fee?

Edit: Just loaded $320 and it hit deducted the cash advance limit. Hopefully it will post as a purchase.

I've been loading with Chase Sapphire Preferred up till today. They're posted as purchases.