FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

trouble747 Mar 14, 15 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 24506945)
I see a lot of talkers but not doers. Nothing is stopping you from updating the wiki.

On my phone traveling and have no first-hand verification of the change in policy. Thanks for the invite though. ^

*edited to add*

Checked; don't see anything on mobile site.

ericdabbs Mar 14, 15 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by trouble747 (Post 24507331)
On my phone traveling and have no first-hand verification of the change in policy. Thanks for the invite though. ^

*edited to add*

Checked; don't see anything on mobile site.

Who cares about the mobile site, the policy change is clear as day on the normal website under

Help -> Add Money -> Debit Card and Credit Card

Scroll all the way and you will see it.

Which debit and credit cards can I link to my Account? (American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa)

For credit cards – You can link an American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa card to your Account.

Note: Starting April 16, 2015 you will only be able to use an American Express® Card if you want to load your account with a credit card. Discover, MasterCard and Visa credit cards will no longer be supported after April 16.

For debit cards – You can link a debit card that is Visa or MasterCard branded.

mr. abd Mar 14, 15 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 24507996)
Who cares about the mobile site, the policy change is clear as day on the normal website under

Help -> Add Money -> Debit Card and Credit Card

Scroll all the way and you will see it.

yeah, which means we will pay cache advance fee on CC.

ericdabbs Mar 14, 15 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by mr. abd (Post 24508194)
yeah, which means we will pay cache advance fee on CC.

Who said that? Its 'cash advance' not 'cache advance'. I think the fact that you can't earn points/miles using an Amex CC is enough punishment. I mean I don't see why anyone would use this method anymore if they are planning to use an Amex CC and are NOT trying to use it to meet minimum spend.

gregoryfo Mar 14, 15 6:59 pm

Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015)

Is anyone aware if the amex cc loads count towards the hotel gold status for spending 20k for Hilton and 30k starwood? That would be of some value at least.

ed765 Mar 14, 15 8:14 pm

From the wording, it appears that the co-branded cards will still be allowed.

The obvious motivation for dropping other cards is that they were paying fees to the issuing banks. I presume that they do not pay a fee, or at least as large a fee to the American Express network for processing the payments.

However, if the Fidelity American Express considers to be accepted, I expect it will get a lot more usage as people drop Visa, Mastercard, and Discover, and direct their loads to their Fidelity American Express cards, or possibly other co-branded Amex cards).

I would expect Fidelity to notice this and stop giving points. BOA (which owns FIA) apparently treats Serve loads as cash advances now (based on my experience trying to use my Travel Rewards card). I would expect the precedent to spread to the FIA cards, and for them to start charging a cash advance fee.

One should watch your statements so you do not get surprised and find that there are large cash advance fees. I believe they are new placing the initial hold as a cash advance, and then the final billing as a purchase. I remember raising my cash advance limit so the card could be used for this, but in doing so I am exposed to a risk that a change in policy would expose me to cash advance fees. I am not quite sure what cash advance limit would permit a few charges to go through, but prevent running up a large cash advance fees. I would hope if there were fees I could point to how they had previously handled Serve loads and get them reversed, but this is not certain.

It is also possible Amex may see heavier use of their cards for loading, and decide they they preferred that those that had newly issue Amex cards make any required spending in a way that generate swipe fees, rather than just to load a Serve card.

ericdabbs Mar 14, 15 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by ed765 (Post 24508626)
From the wording, it appears that the co-branded cards will still be allowed.

The obvious motivation for dropping other cards is that they were paying fees to the issuing banks. I presume that they do not pay a fee, or at least as large a fee to the American Express network for processing the payments.

However, if the Fidelity American Express considers to be accepted, I expect it will get a lot more usage as people drop Visa, Mastercard, and Discover, and direct their loads to their Fidelity American Express cards, or possibly other co-branded Amex cards).

I would expect Fidelity to notice this and stop giving points. BOA (which owns FIA) apparently treats Serve loads as cash advances now (based on my experience trying to use my Travel Rewards card). I would expect the precedent to spread to the FIA cards, and for them to start charging a cash advance fee.

One should watch your statements so you do not get surprised and find that there are large cash advance fees. I believe they are new placing the initial hold as a cash advance, and then the final billing as a purchase. I remember raising my cash advance limit so the card could be used for this, but in doing so I am exposed to a risk that a change in policy would expose me to cash advance fees. I am not quite sure what cash advance limit would permit a few charges to go through, but prevent running up a large cash advance fees. I would hope if there were fees I could point to how they had previously handled Serve loads and get them reversed, but this is not certain.

It is also possible Amex may see heavier use of their cards for loading, and decide they they preferred that those that had newly issue Amex cards make any required spending in a way that generate swipe fees, rather than just to load a Serve card.

I don't think this is going to happen as much as you think. A lot of people will not want to open a Fidelity account just to do this nor will they want cash back. Most people would rather opt for miles than cash back and will not open a CC just to do $1K of Serve online CC loads which can end. Plus there are other options which can provide better rewards.

VegasGambler Mar 14, 15 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 24508701)
I don't think this is going to happen as much as you think. A lot of people will not want to open a Fidelity account just to do this nor will they want cash back. Most people would rather opt for miles than cash back and will not open a CC just to do $1K of Serve online CC loads which can end. Plus there are other options which can provide better rewards.

Yeah, if you don't already havea Fidelity account, this is not really a worthwhile option. 2% of $1000 per month is $20 per month. You are really going to open a new account for $240 per year? $320 if you have softcard? And that's assuming that it lasts a whole year. More hassle and paperwork than it's worth.

On the other hand, if you already use Fidelity, you may as well use the card for this.

ToneDaBass Mar 14, 15 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar (Post 24504773)
...I def have a hard time understanding fellow MS-ers who have been reluctant to get a Redbird because they were't sure of its cc load future. Doing the opportunity cost math would make them feel bad about their decisions :)

Some people (like me) live an hour away from the nearest Target or Walmart. So yeah, for people like me, this policy change really sucks. The opportunity cost of a Bluebird or Redbird were much higher than that of a Softserve.

NoonRadar Mar 15, 15 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by ToneDaBass (Post 24509041)
Some people (like me) live an hour away from the nearest Target or Walmart. So yeah, for people like me, this policy change really sucks. The opportunity cost of a Bluebird or Redbird were much higher than that of a Softserve.

That makes sense of course. I meant a couple of people whom I'd read posting comments like "I will stick with Serve b/c Redbird is new and might die soon".

voodoomonkey Mar 15, 15 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar (Post 24511013)
That makes sense of course. I meant a couple of people whom I'd read posting comments like "I will stick with Serve b/c Redbird is new and might die soon".

To each their own, of course. I switched out 2 of 5 family member Serves for Redcards for diversification and ease of use on 1x MS, but with a (mostly) reliable Kate nearby I still prefer Serve.

aw82 Mar 16, 15 8:30 am

We are writing to let you know that we are making some changes to our credit card loading options. Beginning April 16, 2015, if you want to use a credit card to fund your American Express Serve® Account, you will only be able to use an American Express® Card. Direct Deposit, debit, and all other funding options will remain unchanged.

If you do not have a credit card linked to your Account, this change will not impact you.

How this change may impact your Account
If you have a Discover, MasterCard or Visa credit card linked to your Account, please be advised that starting April 16, 2015 these cards will no longer be linked to your Account. Additionally:

• Any automatic recurring transactions with these credit cards will no longer be completed
• You will no longer be able to use a Discover, MasterCard or Visa credit card as a Backup Funding source

Other ways to fund your account
You can still add money to your account in many other convenient ways, including Direct Deposit, debit, and free cash reloads at the register at 27,000 CVS/pharmacy®, Family Dollar®, Walmart® and participating 7-ELEVEN® locations. Click here to learn more.
All good things...

ellecsor Mar 16, 15 8:40 am

Originally Posted by David_ (Post 24506611)
I don't see anything about the change affecting debit card loads. Just add your CC online as a debit card using the trick.

Can you tell me what this "trick" is?

qwqb Mar 16, 15 8:47 am

Damn I only got a couple months of cc loads out of my serve. I was using it to pay my mortgage via cc. I guess I can still do the gc loads with kate, but that requires a lot more effort than lying in my bed and clicking load on my phone!

sean79 Mar 16, 15 9:42 am

Serve no longer loading with cc

received an email from Serve stating they no longer will accept visa discover or mastercard to load online starting April 16th. They will accept only AMEX cards that do not earn points loading serve.