FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

craz Aug 17, 2015 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by BrownHP800 (Post 25284915)
I stopped at my old reliable FD to unload a Visa Buxx card to my serve. The Visa Buxx card is in my son's name. After I swiped and entered my pin the clerk asked to see my ID and the card I swiped with. I said sure but the card is in my son's name. He didn't seem to have a problem with it and let it go through but this is the first time I have ever been asked to show ID or the card I swiped with.

I wonder if they might be starting to crack down on loading with a VGC with no name on it. I hope not.

I usually go visit KATE but she was sick today.

I got hit with that several times recently, I have 2 DCs in 2 different names 1 is a friends but its my funds. So usually they ask to see the DC from get go and I show them the one with my name along with my DL. Then I switch and use the one in my friends name, since the only difference is the name on the card when they lok they see Im swiping the card I showed them.

A few months ago they started at times letting me swipe and then before allowing it to go forward on their end ask for the DC and DL too late to switch anything as they are looking at my hands holding the card. Most of those places that did that are closing down now that A&P company is history.

I just hope other chains dont take to doing it that way as well

Newgene Aug 17, 2015 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by BrownHP800 (Post 25284915)
I stopped at my old reliable FD to unload a Visa Buxx card to my serve. The Visa Buxx card is in my son's name. After I swiped and entered my pin the clerk asked to see my ID and the card I swiped with. I said sure but the card is in my son's name. He didn't seem to have a problem with it and let it go through but this is the first time I have ever been asked to show ID or the card I swiped with.

I wonder if they might be starting to crack down on loading with a VGC with no name on it. I hope not.

I usually go visit KATE but she was sick today.

Just curious, have you been able to get visa buxx (I have NW buxx) to work on Kate to load serve?

BrownHP800 Aug 17, 2015 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Newgene (Post 25285742)
Just curious, have you been able to get visa buxx (I have NW buxx) to work on Kate to load serve?

Yes. I have NW Buxx too. Works fine.

Newgene Aug 18, 2015 4:40 am

Originally Posted by BrownHP800 (Post 25285746)
Yes. I have NW Buxx too. Works fine.

I wonder if I somehow have a cash advance limit in place on all 3 of my NW buxx cards. I simply cannot get them to load with kate. I also can't find an ATM that doesn't prompt me to pay a merchant fee in addition to the bank fee. I may just try it to see, but I'm pretty sure I'll pay a fee. I don't think buxx is in the cards for me.

canyoncar Aug 18, 2015 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Newgene (Post 25287458)
I wonder if I somehow have a cash advance limit in place on all 3 of my NW buxx cards. I simply cannot get them to load with kate. I also can't find an ATM that doesn't prompt me to pay a merchant fee in addition to the bank fee. I may just try it to see, but I'm pretty sure I'll pay a fee. I don't think buxx is in the cards for me.

The limit is $800/week

JeffD Aug 18, 2015 10:18 pm

Stop Payment

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with requesting a stop payment order with Serve. I used the BP feature to pay my accountant in late May. System reflects that a paper check was sent but has not been cashed. Appears to be lost in the mail as subsequent payments were received and cashed without a problem.

I looked at the T&C and it says that when 90 days have passed the SP order is automatic and the funds refunded. I called CS and they were totally lost. After 45 minutes I ended up being transferred to Tech Support where I was told (after another 25 minutes) that the people who were authorized to manually stop the payment were in a meeting, that it would be taken care of in a couple of hours, and I would receive a confirmation email that the funds were back in my account. 36 hours later no email or funds.

It's no big deal since the 90 days runs in about 10 days or so, but I'm going to call them again. Just wondering if anyone has any wisdom to share.

Thanks.

NoonRadar Aug 18, 2015 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by JeffD (Post 25291864)
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with requesting a stop payment order with Serve. I used the BP feature to pay my accountant in late May. System reflects that a paper check was sent but has not been cashed. Appears to be lost in the mail as subsequent payments were received and cashed without a problem.

I looked at the T&C and it says that when 90 days have passed the SP order is automatic and the funds refunded. I called CS and they were totally lost. After 45 minutes I ended up being transferred to Tech Support where I was told (after another 25 minutes) that the people who were authorized to manually stop the payment were in a meeting, that it would be taken care of in a couple of hours, and I would receive a confirmation email that the funds were back in my account. 36 hours later no email or funds.

It's no big deal since the 90 days runs in about 10 days or so, but I'm going to call them again. Just wondering if anyone has any wisdom to share.

Thanks.

I had to do it with Redbird, should be the same with Serve. Check was prob lost due to misplacement of the person receiving it, called cust service, they said they have to inquire internally to make sure it wasn't cashed, if so they would cancel it, did so, no fee, took a few days, maybe a week? This was about 2-3 weeks after I'd sent the check.

Newgene Aug 19, 2015 3:55 am

Originally Posted by canyoncar (Post 25288095)
The limit is $800/week

It finally dawned on me. I checked to see if I even created a pin yet on the teen cards. I would have swore I did during the initial setup. I only setup the pin on the parent. Geesh, sorry for asking the questions I did.

trouble747 Aug 19, 2015 8:30 am

Anyone else not seeing the login fields on the main Serve page anymore? I can find them but it takes an extra click or two. Maybe this is a chrome issue...

HGHUA Aug 19, 2015 4:01 pm

New 1% cashback serve huh? Ugly color...

kgkg Aug 19, 2015 4:13 pm

Can Serve load additional card members' card? I have a SoftServe. I am an additional card member on my wife's card. Can I load that card? Thank you!

canyoncar Aug 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by kgkg (Post 25296215)
Can Serve load additional card members' card? I have a SoftServe. I am an additional card member on my wife's card. Can I load that card? Thank you!

You can only load the main card.

Phantom707 Aug 19, 2015 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by trouble747 (Post 25293701)
Anyone else not seeing the login fields on the main Serve page anymore? I can find them but it takes an extra click or two. Maybe this is a chrome issue...

It's been that way for me as well on Firefox. I guess that they revamped the page.

Originally Posted by kgkg (Post 25296215)

Yes. You can only link one at a time if they have the same card number, though. If they're different numbers, you can use both at the same time.

Originally Posted by canyoncar (Post 25296363)
You can only load the main card.

That's what the terms and conditions say. Do you always follow the rules? Rule-follower. Nerd. /sarcasm

Justinlca Aug 19, 2015 7:18 pm

RE: the changes to make Serve Blue and Green cards

I went to Walmart today and the Serve cards on the shelf have the old terms written on the boxes. Do you think if I bought these I'd be grandfathered in or would I have to change to one of the new ones when I registered it?

Mamibear Aug 19, 2015 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Justinlca (Post 25296854)
RE: the changes to make Serve Blue and Green cards

I went to Walmart today and the Serve cards on the shelf have the old terms written on the boxes. Do you think if I bought these I'd be grandfathered in or would I have to change to one of the new ones when I registered it?

that's a good question but no one can confirm since these changes are very new. I don't think their CS would be of help to resolve the issue. In case you try it and find out you're under the old T&C, please add it to the wiki.

btw, I've made several attempts the past months to buy temp Serve @ WMNM since the fee is only 1.95, they are hard coded for cash only since I tried different CCs to pay and all were NO-GO. Even the WM cc won't go through either via swipe or chip reader. These were done at different branches, all no go :(

canyoncar Aug 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25296609)
That's what the terms and conditions say. Do you always follow the rules? Rule-follower. Nerd. /sarcasm

I've been known to break the speed limit every now and then :D

tev9999 Aug 22, 2015 11:46 am

RB -> Serve - How Long to Activate?

I searched but could not find the answer to this. I'm going to switch from Redbird to Serve. I am not planning much, if any, MS, but am increasing my portfolio of Amex cards for Amex offers and Small Business Saturday.

I used bill pay to zero out my RB account earlier this week and closed it online today. I tried to sign up for Serve but got an error that I had an active RB account. When I cancelled my Bluebird to move to Redbird the cancellation was instant, so this surprised me a bit.

Any idea how long until the system realizes I do not have an open Amex prepaid account?

I'm also a bit confused about the new three card lineup. I will probably just load from my Fidelity 2% Amex and not worry about gift card loads. Is the basic blue Serve still the best to get?

Thanks.

skyhy Aug 23, 2015 10:44 am

From Redbird to Bluebird

Originally Posted by tev9999 (Post 25311126)

Any idea how long until the system realizes I do not have an open Amex prepaid account?

I also searched diligently but couldn't find any straight answers to this question, however my own very recent experience might help you here - even if my app was for the BB as they're the same family.

Closed RB on 8/7 and received confirmation email. Tried to open a BB a little later with the message "you have an open Redcard account".
Called to RC (Indian call center - notoriously incompetent) and explain the issue. Agent seemed helpful at first and confirmed that the RC account was still open; he then "proceeded" and closed the RC account manually. Told me to wait about 7-10 biz days for the account to be "officially", definitely closed and the email confirmation.
Of course, the email never came - and the BB application showed the same error message.
Forward to 10 days later, when I called again and got lucky - as it turned out - with a competent agent, who notices the RC account still open :mad: ... and proceeds to manually close the account (again).
She then offers me help to apply for the BB online, with her waiting for the process to run and confirm.
She also advised that all personal info should be identical to the (cancelled) RC.
BINGO !

My new BB (my second time around) arrived within 5 biz days and all is well so far.

JeffD Aug 23, 2015 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by JeffD (Post 25291864)

Thanks.

Just a quick data point for anyone interested in the future. It took a follow-up phone call back to Tech Support, but after 4 days from the initial inquiry I received an email that they had issued a stop payment order and credited the money back to my card. I can tell you that without a doubt it was a much more pleasurable experience dealing with Amex then Blackhawk.

BrownHP800 Aug 25, 2015 8:11 pm

Ok, so I bought an "old" serve temp card that starts with 3751 71

If I register this, do I get grandfathered in or would it have had to have been before 8/5?

Mattymess Aug 25, 2015 8:35 pm

Does anyone have experience with debit cards not reading on the walmart register card reader? I bought 8eight $200 GCs from Staples and only four of them were readable. The other four refuse to read and instead, show an "unable to read card" message not matter how many times I scan the card. I even tried the old "wrap the card in a plastic bag" trick to no avail.

I also don't have the staples receipt anymore, so I'm not sure I can go back and try to get new cards.

Am I SOL here?

Werewolfdad Aug 25, 2015 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mattymess (Post 25328352)
Does anyone have experience with debit cards not reading on the walmart register card reader? I bought 8eight $200 GCs from Staples and only four of them were readable. The other four refuse to read and instead, show an "unable to read card" message not matter how many times I scan the card. I even tried the old "wrap the card in a plastic bag" trick to no avail.

I also don't have the staples receipt anymore, so I'm not sure I can go back and try to get new cards.

Am I SOL here?

Did you try swiping up instead of down?

Mattymess Aug 25, 2015 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Werewolfdad (Post 25328392)
Did you try swiping up instead of down?

I've gone three times to try different registers, but I honestly don't know if I tried swiping up. Did you have some shoddy cards and swiping up worked for you?

Phantom707 Aug 25, 2015 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mattymess (Post 25328352)

Am I SOL here?

First, always keep receipts.

Second, try contacting customer support to see if they'll send you replacement cards because those are damaged.

Finally, at worst, use them for online purchases.

Mattymess Aug 25, 2015 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25328407)

Second, try contacting customer support to see if they'll send you replacement cards because those are damaged.

Finally, at worst, use them for online purchases.

Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not keeping the receipts :mad:

Getting a replacement was my next move...I'm just impatient and hate to have to wait who knows how long for a replacement. Live and learn I suppose...

godsquare Aug 26, 2015 5:36 am

My serve bill payment that was delivered yesterday does not show up on my AMEX online account as of now. So far all of my payment posted around midnight or so ET. This is the first time that the payment does not post in the morning.

Edit: Payment posted around 10am ET. New record ...

cdancer20 Aug 26, 2015 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25328407)

Originally Posted by Mattymess (Post 25328416)
Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not keeping the receipts :mad:

Getting a replacement was my next move...I'm just impatient and hate to have to wait who knows how long for a replacement. Live and learn I suppose...

No need to be mad. I assume that you paid for the Staples Gift Cards with a credit card? If so, you can easily go back to same Staples and give them the date of your purchase and credit card. They can locate the purchase in the system and print you out a duplicate receipt.

ericdabbs Aug 26, 2015 8:50 am

Wow just got off the phone with risk dept and it went better than I thought. Wasn't grilled or anything. On the call they let me know that they blocked the card because of an attempted purchase of >$1K (which it was not...technically $999.99) and said that the system blocks transactions of >$1K and to be careful about that. Right after that they told me that the card is now unblocked.

GunneRy Aug 26, 2015 9:40 am

Anyone have any luck loading TD cards (Aeroplan) for MS on Serve?

It's not in the wiki....

CRNA Aug 26, 2015 9:41 am

If I want to get serve, does it make sense to just get the normal serve card or do the other cards offer better benefits?

NoonRadar Aug 26, 2015 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 25330322)
Wow just got off the phone with risk dept and it went better than I thought. Wasn't grilled or anything. On the call they let me know that they blocked the card because of an attempted purchase of >$1K (which it was not...technically $999.99) and said that the system blocks transactions of >$1K and to be careful about that. Right after that they told me that the card is now unblocked.

Which card/bank was this about?

michael_v Aug 26, 2015 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar (Post 25331846)

Sounds like the T-Mobile prepaid card.

bulls71986 Aug 26, 2015 2:55 pm

So I assume this has been discussed but I just found this out yesterday...You can no longer manufacture with online loads from your amex card? I noticed I didn't receive the reward pts from 2 months ago, called in asking what happened and they advised loads with your CC will not get rewards pts. Is everyone just loading them with good ol fashion GCs?

ericdabbs Aug 26, 2015 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by bulls71986 (Post 25332301)
So I assume this has been discussed but I just found this out yesterday...You can no longer manufacture with online loads from your amex card? I noticed I didn't receive the reward pts from 2 months ago, called in asking what happened and they advised loads with your CC will not get rewards pts. Is everyone just loading them with good ol fashion GCs?

Its been in the wiki since forever that Amex online loads never did earn points but helps meet min spend. You cannot do online loads with VGCs for debit or credit. You will be flagged. All your answers have been in the wiki and not due to recent events.

From the wiki
Online Credit Card Loads
Treated as purchase, but doesn't earn points/miles:
American Express issued (Counts toward minimum spend -- see post #434)

Online Debit Card Loads
For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. While initial transactions may work, your account will eventually be flagged.

ericdabbs Aug 26, 2015 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar (Post 25331846)

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 25331962)
Sounds like the T-Mobile prepaid card.

Yes sorry I posted in the wrong thread. Yes this was for the Tmobile prepaid card. I thought I was in the right thread when i posted it.

Red259 Aug 26, 2015 5:52 pm

What is the best card to have linked to serve (the old version where I can run 1.5k a month) in terms of travel rewards/getting most back? I have my arrival+ card currently linked to my serve, but was wondering if another card may be better for point earning.

cdancer20 Aug 27, 2015 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 25333026)
What is the best card to have linked to serve (the old version where I can run 1.5k a month) in terms of travel rewards/getting most back? I have my arrival+ card currently linked to my serve, but was wondering if another card may be better for point earning.

No one can directly answer that question for you. While they are recommended values, only you know how much you value points and where you want/need the most points.

skim Aug 27, 2015 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 25333026)

I am in same boat as you -- ISIS Serve and arrival+ card. I wanted to switch to Chase Sapphire to earn Chase UR points, but decided not to mess with a good thing of easy online charging $1500/month and not wanting to deal with Serve authentication issues(emailing DL, monthly statements,..) !!

cdancer20 Aug 27, 2015 11:22 am

Originally Posted by skim (Post 25336675)
I am in same boat as you -- ISIS Serve and arrival+ card. I wanted to switch to Chase Sapphire to earn Chase UR points, but decided not to mess with a good thing of easy online charging $1500/month and not wanting to deal with Serve authentication issues(emailing DL, monthly statements,..) !!

Note that Chase cards also initially charge as CA. So you have to make sure you set the amount high enough to allow that to process.

Phantom707 Aug 27, 2015 11:58 am

Originally Posted by skim (Post 25336675)

Changing cards has been easy for me. After the initial upload of "other" documents (driver's license and such), you only ever need to upload a picture of the front of your new credit card. You can upload it a day before you start using the card, and it should be already allowed by then.