FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

trouble747 Jan 13, 15 8:49 am

Are sunnies just seasonal or does wally world always carry them?

Mamibear Jan 13, 15 10:54 am

there are seasonal Sunnies like several Christmas themed packages sold last quarter and there are year round Sunnies with the birthday candles and one that says A GIft for you.

trouble747 Jan 13, 15 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 24157941)
there are seasonal Sunnies like several Christmas themed packages sold last quarter and there are year round Sunnies with the birthday candles and one that says A GIft for you.

Great, thanks. And it's my understanding that a Amex GC (mine are personalized) will/may/can/usually work?

tys90 Jan 13, 15 11:34 am

I have a new issue this month. I always pay my utility bill through Serve but this time it says "Please enter a valid account number" when I try to pay it. Nothing has changed. What's the deal? Anyone know what's happening or had this problem?

EDIT: They don't allow dashes in account numbers any more. Had to edit the payee and remove the dash. Seems odd, I wonder if this would cause problems with some payees.

ericdabbs Jan 13, 15 11:38 am

Originally Posted by tys90 (Post 24158211)
I have a new issue this month. I always pay my utility bill through Serve but this time it says "Please enter a valid account number" when I try to pay it. Nothing has changed. What's the deal? Anyone know what's happening or had this problem?

EDIT: They don't allow dashes in account numbers any more. Had to edit the payee and remove the dash. Seems odd, I wonder if this would cause problems with some payees.

Do you have any dashes in your account number? If so remove them and that should fix the problem. Some folks on the BB thread were mentioning the same thing about issues with "enter a valid account number" but they removed the dashes and it fixed their problem.

I have never had a problem where the account number had dashes and I didn't put them and it still took fine. Dashes are not a valid characters in account numbers anyways. Its like when applications ask for phone numbers, they just ask for the 10 digits. They don't need the parentheses for area code and the dash between the 3rd and 4th number of the phone number. Those dashes are there for ease of visibility.

OHijAAzi73 Jan 13, 15 11:40 am

Originally Posted by trouble747 (Post 24158192)
Great, thanks. And it's my understanding that a Amex GC (mine are personalized) will/may/can/usually work?

Yes....non-personalized too...

doldrim Jan 13, 15 6:04 pm

I ran into an issue loading VGCs into Serve at walmart service desk today. I've loaded other VGCs and not encountered this before, but today i saw "reason 51 transaction denied".

I tried to load $800 using 4x $200 VGCs in a single transaction. Serve swiped and ready and when I typed in my PIN for the first VGC the register came back with reason 51. Cashier asked me to try the others - same thing on all four cards.

I verified the PIN was correct, since when i typed in a *wrong* PIN it gave an invalid PIN error. She mentioned maybe I should try doing a smaller transaction, so we tried $400 using two cards and that failed with the same. After this her register got locked out waiting for a manager, so I just decided to head on instead of holding the line up more.

So, anyone seen reason 51 before? What is it?

ACVid Jan 13, 15 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by doldrim (Post 24161851)
I ran into an issue loading VGCs into Serve at walmart service desk today. I've loaded other VGCs and not encountered this before, but today i saw "reason 51 transaction denied".

I tried to load $800 using 4x $200 VGCs in a single transaction. Serve swiped and ready and when I typed in my PIN for the first VGC the register came back with reason 51. Cashier asked me to try the others - same thing on all four cards.

I verified the PIN was correct, since when i typed in a *wrong* PIN it gave an invalid PIN error. She mentioned maybe I should try doing a smaller transaction, so we tried $400 using two cards and that failed with the same. After this her register got locked out waiting for a manager, so I just decided to head on instead of holding the line up more.

WM MC allows up to 4 swipes - 1 for serve and up to 3 additional for GCs.

sfkhan Jan 13, 15 6:50 pm

IS it okay to take out $2000 cash from Serve every month and then depositing it back into the bank account? Is it going to raise any red flags?

doldrim Jan 13, 15 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by ACVid (Post 24161918)
WM MC allows up to 4 swipes - 1 for serve and up to 3 additional for GCs.

I guess that could explain the first time, but what about when I tried for $400 (serve + 2x VGC)? That still didn't go through because of "reason 51". Would I have been locked out after the first attempt?

ericdabbs Jan 13, 15 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by doldrim (Post 24162140)
I guess that could explain the first time, but what about when I tried for $400 (serve + 2x VGC)? That still didn't go through because of "reason 51". Would I have been locked out after the first attempt?

And you are sure these 2 other VGCs are activated and funds in them? Have you tried again since then? That way you have more datapoints. Also there must be a better description of what "reason 51"? is. You need to probe them more next time if you get that issue to fully understand what that is.

ericdabbs Jan 13, 15 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by maheshkk (Post 24107016)
Thanks. Yes my card does say DEBIT in front. And I did not try to load it online as I read it wouldnt work because it is a giftcard.

Are you sure you set the PIN correctly in the first place? I know would try to set your PINs again on your cards to another 4 digit number and make sure you use the same one for all your cards and try again. I have a feeling is an issue of you entering the wrong PIN.

weezl Jan 13, 15 8:34 pm

Google says it means insufficient funds. Did you check available balance when the error popped up? I always call the 800 # to be sure funds are there when these errors pop up. If not, check now and if there are funds there now, try again.

MikailSJ Jan 13, 15 9:06 pm

Just wanted to confirm someone someone:

The chase IHG mastercard serve loads will not count as cash advances.

lumangoy Jan 13, 15 9:15 pm

did you ask to split in 4 payments? I think it's trying to 'charge' $800 everytime you try to enter a pin.

doldrim Jan 13, 15 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by weezl (Post 24162570)
Google says it means insufficient funds.

Originally Posted by lumangoy (Post 24162794)
did you ask to split in 4 payments? I think it's trying to 'charge' $800 everytime you try to enter a pin.

Ahh! That's probably it. Now that I think about it, usually they do ask me how much I want to split on each card. This time she just told me I could use multiple cards, but probably did not split it in any way.

I'll try again tomorrow and ask explicitly for $200 each. Thanks!

avidrissman Jan 13, 15 11:09 pm

As an aside, can someone update the wikipost to the new version of the Softcard URL: https://www.gosoftcard.com/get-started.html

The "paywithisis" version redirects, but Chrome insists on a secure connection and the original url has broken security somehow.

hamokmonky Jan 14, 15 7:18 am

Originally Posted by MikailSJ (Post 24162749)
Just wanted to confirm someone someone:

The chase IHG mastercard serve loads will not count as cash advances.

From the wiki:
Treated as purchase, earns cashback/points/miles: •Bank of America (FIA) (MasterCard, American Express)
•Barclaycard (Mastercard, Visa)
•Capital One (Mastercard, Visa)
•Chase (MasterCard, Visa)
•Citi (MasterCard, American Express)
•Discover

Treated as purchase, but doesn't earn points/miles:•American Express (May count toward minimum spend)

Posts as a cash advance:

•Bank of America (FIA) Visa (Source)
•Citi Visa (Source)
•PNC Visa (Source)
•US Bank Visa (Source)

ngoc92 Jan 14, 15 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy (Post 24162794)

I got this error last week too because the cashier screwed up on the split tender part on a money order purchase (2x $500) so I left. I came back 2 days ago and everything went thru fine.

ACVid Jan 14, 15 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by doldrim (Post 24162985)
Ahh! That's probably it. Now that I think about it, usually they do ask me how much I want to split on each card. This time she just told me I could use multiple cards, but probably did not split it in any way.

I'll try again tomorrow and ask explicitly for $200 each. Thanks!

That could very well be the reason. Whenever I do split transaction, the CSR ask me how much I need to charge on each card and then I swipe and enter pin for each VGC.

canyoncar Jan 14, 15 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by sfkhan (Post 24162079)
IS it okay to take out $2000 cash from Serve every month and then depositing it back into the bank account? Is it going to raise any red flags?

I'd just add the bank account to serve and ACH it out instead.

Banks don't care about $2k, but it's an unnecessary hassle to do that every month.

isaac2004 Jan 14, 15 8:46 pm

GC that can be loaded at Walmart in Chicago

Any fellow Chicagoans have a prime spot to pick up GCs that I can load at a Walmart MC? I haven't tried the stuff at Walgreens yet but wanted to make sure someone has had an experience. Worst case I will pick up a $25 and post results.

raymam1 Jan 15, 15 7:47 am

isaac,

really any Jewel or CVS in the city is good for giftcards. Just go there and try it out small to get comfortable

isaac2004 Jan 15, 15 8:10 am

Originally Posted by raymam1 (Post 24171540)
isaac,

really any Jewel or CVS in the city is good for giftcards. Just go there and try it out small to get comfortable

Thanks raymam, I just wanted to make sure CVS was still an option to get the GC for Walmart. I am also going to try the Family Dollar a block from where I live with a VGC from Walgreens.

dukerau Jan 15, 15 9:24 am

Originally Posted by isaac2004 (Post 24169363)
Any fellow Chicagoans have a prime spot to pick up GCs that I can load at a Walmart MC? I haven't tried the stuff at Walgreens yet but wanted to make sure someone has had an experience. Worst case I will pick up a $25 and post results.

CVS only carries Bancorp-issued VGC, which are not Walmart-friendly. They do work at Family Dollar though. You'll need Metabank- or US Bank- issued VGC for Walmart use.

pianistat Jan 15, 15 9:41 am

I see the Wiki and what it says about being safe to load online with Citi Mastercard (Businesss AA Citi Mastercard). Just wanted to confirm with somebody with a recent experience. Is that still the case? TIA

hamokmonky Jan 15, 15 9:49 am

Originally Posted by pianistat (Post 24172250)
I see the Wiki and what it says about being safe to load online with Citi Mastercard (Businesss AA Citi Mastercard). Just wanted to confirm with somebody with a recent experience. Is that still the case? TIA

I have been using citi AA mc for months now to get my extra monthly spend bonuses. I used it 2 days ago and it posted normally.

HGF Jan 15, 15 12:28 pm

Has anyone else been seeing a $200 transaction limit when trying to load Serve with Kate?

jyx Jan 15, 15 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by HGF (Post 24173334)
Has anyone else been seeing a $200 transaction limit when trying to load Serve with Kate?

I didn't have any issue loading serve at kate today, more than $200 every time.

PlyrStar93 Jan 15, 15 6:55 pm

Has anyone else been seeing a $200 transaction limit when trying to load serve with Kate?

I have not heard about this, either. Also loaded more than $200 at once to Serve without problem today.

fr33b13 Jan 15, 15 9:23 pm

Does anyone here know if I paid someone using bill pay on Serve and I don't get my services, is there anything I can do?

ericdabbs Jan 15, 15 10:48 pm

Nope its an issue with your card.

iloverice Jan 16, 15 9:33 am

Unfortunately, I have loaded my Serve with my AA BoA Visa. I didn't realize it would be a cash advance until it was too late (I should have read the Wiki more thoroughly).

Has anyone had any luck getting them to remove the cash advance fees?

Edit: Just spoke with a BoA rep and they were happy to refund the fees (as a one time courtesy) if I deposited the money back to the account immediately. Phew!

rxgeek Jan 16, 15 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by iloverice (Post 24178806)
Unfortunately, I have loaded my Serve with my AA BoA Visa. I didn't realize it would be a cash advance until it was too late (I should have read the Wiki more thoroughly).

Has anyone had any luck getting them to remove the cash advance fees?

Edit: Just spoke with a BoA rep and they were happy to refund the fees (as a one time courtesy) if I deposited the money back to the account immediately. Phew!

When it happened to me I called the card CS and they waived the fee.

HGF Jan 16, 15 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 24176511)
Nope its an issue with your card.

I don't think it is my card since it has worked fine for months. The limit on the machine isn't a hard limit nor is the transaction declined, the machine just says it needs manager approval before continuing. I'm guessing they may have configured a limit on the kate I use.

ericdabbs Jan 16, 15 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by HGF (Post 24181518)
I don't think it is my card since it has worked fine for months. The limit on the machine isn't a hard limit nor is the transaction declined, the machine just says it needs manager approval before continuing. I'm guessing they may have configured a limit on the kate I use.

I wasn't talking about your BB card. I was initially referring to your VGCs. More than half the time, the people who complain about not being able to load at Kate or cashiers is because their VGC is not in a good state.

PlyrStar93 Jan 16, 15 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by HGF (Post 24181518)

3636 N Broadway?

From the phenomenon, it seemed like someone else loaded close to $2k before you, and you got caught by the velocity limit. But how did you figure out the "limit" could be $200? Did you try smaller amounts with successful loads?

melonscent Jan 16, 15 8:28 pm

From the Wiki what it says about being safe to load online with Chase (Master Card, Visa). Just wanted to confirm it is safe (no CA fee) with Chase Ink online load into Serve?. I just received my chase ink today and never done it before. Thank you.

christof Jan 16, 15 10:35 pm

Hey folks. I funded a $200 test with my Barclays Barclaycard US Airways MasterCard. I chose $200 since the fee is 5% or $10, whichever is greater. After 2 business days, the transaction finally posted to my Barclays account. Does anyone know what this description means: "POI FUNDING TRANSACTIONS(EXCLUDING MONEYSEND)"?

I found one search result from October 2014, and it sounded like Barclays wouldn't charge a Cash Advance fee at that time. Does anyone know about today -- will they charge a Cash Advance fee? Does the CA fee show up once the transaction posts to the Barclays.com online account? I don't see one, but I'm wondering if it'll show in the final billing statement.

Thanks, folks!

ZzzzX Jan 17, 15 6:39 am

Arrival + still posts as sale.