FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

nicklesprout Jan 12, 15 7:47 pm

Best Gift Cards to use to load serve at WM and where to get them

Hi, I've been digging around the threads but can't seem to find out the info i need. Can someone answer the following:

1) What Gift Cards are the best to load Serve at Walmart with? Vanilla obviously doesn't work.
2) Where is the best place to get the above cards so that my Manufactured spend is masked? I'm paranoid that Chase is going to close my accounts because i read articles saying they crack down on MS.
3) Why wasn't i able to purchase a $500 Vanilla VGC at Walgreen's with my Chase Sapphire Preferred card? 'Tender not allowed' or something similar was the message.
4) Or can someone point me to relevant posts that can answer my above questions?

Thanks!

mastermind85 Jan 12, 15 9:48 pm

Whats the best way to unload 2.5k on a serve (with $500 VGCs) at the registers with the swipe limits?

noungning Jan 12, 15 10:57 pm

I'm so confused, from reading the wiki and then reading the thread posts. So if I open a Serve card, can I just load it straight from my Citi MC? Or I have to buy a debit GC?

I just need to spend $1,500 but reading these different threads just gets me more confused and nervous to try. :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4bidden Jan 12, 15 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by noungning (Post 24155215)
I'm so confused, from reading the wiki and then reading the thread posts. So if I open a Serve card, can I just load it straight from my Citi MC? Or I have to buy a debit GC?

I just need to spend $1,500 but reading these different threads just gets me more confused and nervous to try. :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.serve.com/help/

Fees and Limits > Limits

ericdabbs Jan 12, 15 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by nicklesprout (Post 24154406)
Hi, I've been digging around the threads but can't seem to find out the info i need. Can someone answer the following:

1) What Gift Cards are the best to load Serve at Walmart with? Vanilla obviously doesn't work.
2) Where is the best place to get the above cards so that my Manufactured spend is masked? I'm paranoid that Chase is going to close my accounts because i read articles saying they crack down on MS.
3) Why wasn't i able to purchase a $500 Vanilla VGC at Walgreen's with my Chase Sapphire Preferred card? 'Tender not allowed' or something similar was the message.
4) Or can someone point me to relevant posts that can answer my above questions?

Thanks!

You need to read this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...re-2015-a.html

somdave2005 Jan 13, 15 5:09 am

I'm having the hardest time adding back my Travelocity credit card to SERVE... tried several times with customer service, and matched the addresses. Will just use my Fidelity amex for now and then retry again next month.

Mamibear Jan 13, 15 5:27 am

Originally Posted by mastermind85 (Post 24154969)
Whats the best way to unload 2.5k on a serve (with $500 VGCs) at the registers with the swipe limits?

IME, the easiest to load are MB and Sunnies VGCs with the usual workaround. I just do 500 at a time when the store is not busy.

hamokmonky Jan 13, 15 6:08 am

Originally Posted by nicklesprout (Post 24154406)
1) What Gift Cards are the best to load Serve at Walmart with? Vanilla obviously doesn't work. anything but vanilla - depends on your location and what you have available to you
2) Where is the best place to get the above cards so that my Manufactured spend is masked? I'm paranoid that Chase is going to close my accounts because i read articles saying they crack down on MS. If you are paranoid chase is going to close your accounts, dont MS with chase.... easy solution.
3) Why wasn't i able to purchase a $500 Vanilla VGC at Walgreen's with my Chase Sapphire Preferred card? 'Tender not allowed' or something similar was the message. fraud alert

See answers in red.

mastermind85 Jan 13, 15 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 24156193)
IME, the easiest to load are MB and Sunnies VGCs with the usual workaround. I just do 500 at a time when the store is not busy.

Sunnies? So you dont even split up the transactions into swipes? You just tell the cashier to load $500 5 times?

sameoldme Jan 13, 15 8:14 am

Originally Posted by mastermind85 (Post 24156982)
Sunnies? So you dont even split up the transactions into swipes? You just tell the cashier to load $500 5 times?

Read threads about wal-mart if you want to know what Sunnies are. There is usually more than one cashier at wal-mart. Start small go big. If cashiers know you, they'll have no problem splitting payments. If they don't, they might.

trouble747 Jan 13, 15 8:49 am

Are sunnies just seasonal or does wally world always carry them?

Mamibear Jan 13, 15 10:54 am

there are seasonal Sunnies like several Christmas themed packages sold last quarter and there are year round Sunnies with the birthday candles and one that says A GIft for you.

trouble747 Jan 13, 15 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 24157941)
there are seasonal Sunnies like several Christmas themed packages sold last quarter and there are year round Sunnies with the birthday candles and one that says A GIft for you.

Great, thanks. And it's my understanding that a Amex GC (mine are personalized) will/may/can/usually work?

tys90 Jan 13, 15 11:34 am

I have a new issue this month. I always pay my utility bill through Serve but this time it says "Please enter a valid account number" when I try to pay it. Nothing has changed. What's the deal? Anyone know what's happening or had this problem?

EDIT: They don't allow dashes in account numbers any more. Had to edit the payee and remove the dash. Seems odd, I wonder if this would cause problems with some payees.

ericdabbs Jan 13, 15 11:38 am

Originally Posted by tys90 (Post 24158211)
I have a new issue this month. I always pay my utility bill through Serve but this time it says "Please enter a valid account number" when I try to pay it. Nothing has changed. What's the deal? Anyone know what's happening or had this problem?

EDIT: They don't allow dashes in account numbers any more. Had to edit the payee and remove the dash. Seems odd, I wonder if this would cause problems with some payees.

Do you have any dashes in your account number? If so remove them and that should fix the problem. Some folks on the BB thread were mentioning the same thing about issues with "enter a valid account number" but they removed the dashes and it fixed their problem.

I have never had a problem where the account number had dashes and I didn't put them and it still took fine. Dashes are not a valid characters in account numbers anyways. Its like when applications ask for phone numbers, they just ask for the 10 digits. They don't need the parentheses for area code and the dash between the 3rd and 4th number of the phone number. Those dashes are there for ease of visibility.