Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericdabbs
The previous megathread is here.

Read the wiki before posting a question.
It's a literacy test that's easy to pass.

As of April 16, 2015 regular Serve cards will only accept American Express network cards for online credit card loads.
Softcard Serve accounts are apparently grandfathered in the old system and continue to work as before, being able to load Mastercard, Visa, and Discover (see below).

Serve loads count towards minimum spend on AmEx-issued cards, including SPG.

This is the Serve thread. Post questions or information concerning other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

For additional information on using prepaid debit cards, see PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards.

You cannot make an ACH pull from Serve. The direct deposit account and routing numbers are for deposits only.

https://www.serve.com/#/add-cash

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Loads at 7-11 and CVS are cash only. Debit cards are NOT allowed.

Loads at Walmart have been confirmed with debit cards. Self checkout does not work for loading Serve. Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of prepaid debit cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked, then discreetly use your prepaid card when asked to swipe. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC (Walmart Money Center) again to load.

Debit loading at Family Dollar appears to be limited to $500 per day per store total (not per person or per account). Whoever gets there first gets the load for the day. Troubleshooting loading problems at FD

Regular Serve
  • Serve loading via VR/MP or WM/FD load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load - $200/day and $1,000/month [B]
  • Online Credit Card Load (AmEx only) - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $7k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

Softcard Serve
Softcard has shutdown and there is no longer any way to apply for this version.
  • Serve loading via VR/MP or WM/FD load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month
  • Online Credit Card Load - $500/day and $1,500/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

You can combine the three methods above and load a total of $8k/month to a single Serve account for miles/points earning purposes, but beware that you're also subject to a $10,000/month add money limit which also includes check deposits, ACH transfers, and Serve transfers.

Temp Serve
You can only load a maximum of $500/day, $1000/month on a temporary card. Once you get your permanent card, then you can load more. The initial $500 when you purchase the temp card doesn't count against the $5,000/month load limit.

OneVip Card: (Mucho gracias, AndrewTheMan)
This card is essentially just like the regular, fee-free, "old" serve. You may reload this card up to $2,500/day; $1,000/transaction at Walmart (not impacted by Blue Bird daily limit change). Have not tested FD or anywhere else. KATE takes this no problems..
You can use this to load the FIDO AMEX up to 1k a month.

Limits for online debit card and credit card loads reset at 9 PM PST/12 AM EST

Online Credit Card Loads
Only one card can be linked at a time.

For online CC/DC loads, the name on the Serve account is supposed to match the name of the primary or joint cardholder. So using someone else's CC/DB card to load a Serve account is not allowed.

A few report no problems loading with an AU card in the Serve account holder's name. Increase your chances by making sure the AUs social security number is on file with the Credit Card.

When adding a new card you will usually need to call Serve Account security (1-800-555-4318) for verification of the new card on the second load try. This verification usually requires uploading of a photo of your ID and the credit card. You may pre-emptively avoid the error by going to the above website, logging in, and uploading a scan of a photo ID and the card you are trying to add. You may call back to expedite approval. One person with a Serve/Softcard account reported being sent to the main Serve number for this process.

https://www.serve.com/help/#add-money-5

Regular Serve Credit Card Loading

Regular Serve can only load from American Express network cards. In addition to those issued directly by American Express, this includes the following:
  • AAA Rewards AmEx
  • Alitalia AmEx
  • Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx
  • Bank of America Asiana Airlines AmEx
  • Bank of Hawaii AmEx Card with MyBankoh Rewards
  • Bloomingdale's AmEx
  • Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select AmEx
  • Citi Dividend AmEx (not obtainable unless specifically requested)
  • Citi Thank You Preferred AmEx (not obtainable unless specifically requested)
  • Dillard's AmEx
  • FNBO AmEx
  • FNBO Graphite AmEx
  • FNBO Platinum AmEx
  • Macy's AmEx
  • Penfed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx
  • SavingStar AmEx
  • Travelocity AmEx
  • US Bank Flexperks AmEx
  • USAA Cash Rewards/Rewards Plus AmEx
  • Wells Fargo Propel World/365 AmEx

Softcard Serve Credit Card Loading

If you are fortunate enough to be grandfathered into a Softcard Serve Account, you can also load other credit cards beside American Express cards. Softcard Serve is not available to new applicants anymore so you'll need to get one of the other Serve options if you don't already have one. In general, Mastercard and American Express cards post as purchases. Visa cards transact as a cash advance and, therefore, require available CA limit; although most cards post as a purchase.

Treated as purchase, earns cashback/points/miles:
  • Bank of America (FIA) (MasterCard, American Express)
  • Barclaycard (Mastercard, Visa)
  • Capital One (Mastercard, Visa)
  • Chase (MasterCard, Visa)
  • Citi (MasterCard, American Express)
  • Discover
  • Wells Fargo (American Express)

Treated as purchase, but doesn't earn points/miles:
  • American Express issued (Counts toward minimum spend -- see post #434) but does not earn points. Example: For the Delta Amex card, Serve counts towards min spend DL miles sign-up bonus, but that spend and subsequent trials of spend on Serve will not earn points. Don't do it, man!

Posts as a cash advance:
The Chase Ink Bold is a charge card and has no cash advance ability.

A few report being unable to add the Chase IHG MC.

Online Debit Card Loads
For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. While initial transactions may work, your account will eventually be flagged.

Switching to Serve
Helpful instruction post, latest. Thanks raeneye.

Also see this thread: Switching from Serve to BlueBird - 31 day wait???

Switching from BB to Serve
  1. Login to BB account, bring account balance to Zero, (By Bill Pay, Send money, etc..)
  2. Call BB, tell them that you want to open a serve account and close your current BB account. after they check everything they will say something like: "Your account will be permanently closed after 31 days, you can reopen it within 31 day if you change your mind, and you can apply for your new Serve account now, just make sure use the exact same register info from BB."
  3. at this point BB is closed. next morning, goto CVS and get a temporary Serve card (only with cash), load $500, ($2.95 waived, Yeah!!)
  4. get back home, register temporary Serve online, First error: "phone number already registered, please try a different number" could be the my BB's ghost account still showing up on their system, could be my info is not match my BB's registration? i'm not really sure at this point. What I did is keep the same number but change from Cell phone to home phone. and registration went through
  5. after the register and login, second error: "We're still processing your application. Please check your email for an update"
  6. I have see people on the thread reported waiting for weeks for the same message, So, I pickup the phone and called them, ask them to speed up the process.
  7. CSR, told me that my account went to "account security protection department" transfer me to them.
  8. at account security protection department, they told me need to call back on my phone number which I registered to verify.
  9. after the call back of verification, CSR told me that my new Serve account is active now, email address verification will be send with in 5 minutes, permanent card will be received within 7-10 days.
  10. CSR also told me the I can load and spend on the temporary card, but not bill pay.

Switching from Redbird is presumably similar. See the RedCard thread for more information.

The number to call to approve your registration after closing Bluebird: Serve Account security 1-800-555-4318

Loading with debit card at Walmart register
Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Using Serve
For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy VRs/GCs
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

For bank transfers
Under Settings --> Funding & Transfers --> Bank & Cards --> U.S. Bank Account, you can add your bank info and transfer funds from your Serve card directly to your bank. The bank account must be verified, either by the standard "deposit 2 small sums into your account, such as $0.23 & $0.42" method, or doing an "instant verification" by actually logging into your bank account while still logged into Serve.
===

People with an apartment address can find helpful information quoted in post #7
Print Wikipost

Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by myname
Bow tie guy? You mean million mile secrets? I've been on there researching serve, but the articles regarding serve seem to be kinda outdated. I left a question on his contacts page, but I'm still waiting for a response.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Appreciate it.
You could just do the research and search a couple stores to see who carries it. Having it spelled out for you is not always the best thing. Bow tie guy has enough circles and arrows for you to figure it out.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by myname
Bow tie guy? You mean million mile secrets? I've been on there researching serve, but the articles regarding serve seem to be kinda outdated. I left a question on his contacts page, but I'm still waiting for a response.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Appreciate it.
He's saying that you shouldn't expect to have all of the answers to all of your questions given to you so easily, without you doing at least some research. That's why he used the phrase "circles and arrows" (a phrase which I hate just because of how often it's used, but whatever.

The reason for this kind of attitude goes to the first unwritten rule of MS: you don't talk about MS. The issue is that MS almost necessarily exists in the loopholes of society and finances such that if a particular method becomes too well-known, too [ab]used, it will be seen as a loss for the institutions and shut down.

To a large extent, this is actually true. REDbird is a recent large example. It became extremely easy for people to MS thousands of dollars each month, and the program lasted for less than a year in that state. If a method becomes too well known, it'll most likely die.

Even I don't like "spoon feeding" (I hate that term too) people, but I still think that there's a certain line in terms of how to speak to new people.

Metabank gift cards are sold by a number of different stores. You'll hav to find out for yourself which ones carry them. You can also purchase them online from different retailers.

Sunrise bank gift cards are primarily sold at Walmart.

No, you can't load them online. You have to go into a Walmart or Family Dollar to load gift cards as debit. You don't say that you want to load a gift card. If you do, you'll just be a massive douche to us and look like an idiot/money launderer to the cashier.

I'm not going to write out how to load to Serve because there are already tons of guides that you've probably already seen.

Million Mile Secrets and its author/owner is known for being hated in most MS communities. He's "guilty" of the "circles and arrows" approach criticized above and thus may play a part in killing MS opportunities. Further, he's been called out for stealing information from other sources (including posters here on FlyerTalk) and not crediting them. Finally, he is known for his prodigious use of affiliate links wherein he makes money if people use his application links. Thus, he usually pushes those by posting a lot about those "deals" while leaving other valuable opportunities unmentioned on his site.

It's okay to read it while you're starting out, but you quickly realize that he's not that useful nor that good.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Phantom707
He's saying that you shouldn't expect to have all of the answers to all of your questions given to you so easily, without you doing at least some research. That's why he used the phrase "circles and arrows" (a phrase which I hate just because of how often it's used, but whatever.

The reason for this kind of attitude goes to the first unwritten rule of MS: you don't talk about MS. The issue is that MS almost necessarily exists in the loopholes of society and finances such that if a particular method becomes too well-known, too [ab]used, it will be seen as a loss for the institutions and shut down.

To a large extent, this is actually true. REDbird is a recent large example. It became extremely easy for people to MS thousands of dollars each month, and the program lasted for less than a year in that state. If a method becomes too well known, it'll most likely die.

Even I don't like "spoon feeding" (I hate that term too) people, but I still think that there's a certain line in terms of how to speak to new people.

Metabank gift cards are sold by a number of different stores. You'll hav to find out for yourself which ones carry them. You can also purchase them online from different retailers.

No, you can't load them online. You have to go into a Walmart or Family Dollar to load gift cards as debit. You don't say that you want to load a gift card. If you do, you'll just be a massive douche to us and look like an idiot/money launderer to the cashier.

I'm not going to write out how to load to Serve because there are already tons of guides that you've probably already seen.

Million Mile Secrets and its author/owner is known for being hated in most MS communities. He's "guilty" of the "circles and arrows" approach criticized above and thus may play a part in killing MS opportunities. Further, he's been called out for stealing information from other sources (including posters here on FlyerTalk) and not crediting them. Finally, he is known for his prodigious use of affiliate links wherein he makes money if people use his application links. Thus, he usually pushes those by posting a lot about those "deals" while leaving other valuable opportunities unmentioned on his site.

It's okay to read it while you're starting out, but you quickly realize that he's not that useful nor that good.
Totally agree to this in fact I posted a question on his recent post about applying multiple AS cards. With recently tightening of Chase applications, his posts will cost people losing out on Chase application while also killing the AS card. He now monitors posts so my question was never published that just show how helpful he is to his audience.

Anyhow, I would like to confirm if Serve is still good for MS to meet sign up bonus? I read the wiki and searched but wonder if there's any recent changes or difference experience recently given some of the changes in past month. Just got an AMEX invite and need to MS to meet the signup so wonder if Serve still works as I haven't tried for sometime. Thanks very much for help
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
Check the bow tie guys blog. He will spoon feed you with pictures to make it simple on yourself
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
You could just do the research and search a couple stores to see who carries it. Having it spelled out for you is not always the best thing. Bow tie guy has enough circles and arrows for you to figure it out.
Originally Posted by Phantom707

Thank you for enlightening me on this topic. I can appreciate the sarcasm from the others, as well. I didn't realize how delicate of a matter this was. I'll definitely put in my own work too. I was just looking for a few pointers in the right direction, that's all. Thanks again, phantom.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:13 pm

Loading at Walkmart KIOSKS

Hi

I am trying to load VGC at Walmart KIOSK machines ( VGC from sunrise bank - VGC sold by walmart ) .

As soon as I enter Pin no, it comes back and asks pin again.

I am using last 4 digits of the VGC.

It doesnt let me go ahead to load.

I tried 3 times so far on 3 different days and it keeps doing same.

Has anyone seen this ? any workaround for this ?

Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 2:42 pm
inY

Have a softcard grandfathered account and tried to change credit cards. Always get an address mismatch. Front line customer service always asked if it was an AMEX and said only AMEX is allowed despite pleas about SoftCard. So I finally gave in on my third call and said "yes" it's an American Express card then proceeded to read a card number beginning in 4. They sent me to technical support with an American in Utah who was able to add the card and stated that my Visa was linked.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by liveforflying
Hi

I am trying to load VGC at Walmart KIOSK machines ( VGC from sunrise bank - VGC sold by walmart ) .

As soon as I enter Pin no, it comes back and asks pin again.

I am using last 4 digits of the VGC.

It doesnt let me go ahead to load.

I tried 3 times so far on 3 different days and it keeps doing same.

Has anyone seen this ? any workaround for this ?

Thanks.
9-digit PIN problem. Check the "WM money kiosks always broken" thread.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by inY
Have a softcard grandfathered account and tried to change credit cards. Always get an address mismatch. Front line customer service always asked if it was an AMEX and said only AMEX is allowed despite pleas about SoftCard. So I finally gave in on my third call and said "yes" it's an American Express card then proceeded to read a card number beginning in 4. They sent me to technical support with an American in Utah who was able to add the card and stated that my Visa was linked.
lmfao.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by NttDocomo
Hi everyone, I have hard serve card and recently applied for a new AMEX card. Would like to load funds with the new card into Serve to meet the spending bonus and read in Wiki that AMEX load is still good for meeting spend.

Just curious if any have done it recently and can confirm that loading funds with AMEX into Serve still works for meeting spending bonus? I tried to search and read in the MMS blog that AMEX load no longs works for meeting spending bonus so trying to confirm here.

Thanks very much for any tip and help. Good luck and have a wonderful week
What AMEX card do you have specifically? I have a Delta Platinum and the Serve loads seem to be counting towards the minimum spend for the purpose of MQD waiver, but not the minimum spend needed for MQM bonus.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 12:15 pm

Hi all,
I searched this thread and found out that for CC online load, the time resets again every first day of the calendar month at 12AM ET. How about normal in-store loads at WM? I thought it resets every first day of the new statement. However, my recent experience is telling me that it also resets every first day of the calendar month. Therefore, it could be up to 14k total load in a single statement period, which is 4k more than the limit. Could anyone confirm this? Thanks.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Saidoh
What AMEX card do you have specifically? I have a Delta Platinum and the Serve loads seem to be counting towards the minimum spend for the purpose of MQD waiver, but not the minimum spend needed for MQM bonus.
Thank you for your info! I am about to put my Delta Reserve card on Serve for the same purpose. Seems like there is no need for this now......
Does anyone have experience in using SPG for online CC load? Does it count as the 30k spending toward SPG Gold? Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:47 pm

Wanted to see if this has ever happened to anyone.

I just got back from my date with Kate and she didn't like 4 of the 8 Staples VISAs that I bought last week. All 8 cards came in the new blue packaging where the "SIGN UP NOW!" for Go Wallet sticker covers the card's numbers.

I checked the balance and changed the PINs on the 4 Kate denied and she still wouldn't take them. It's very strange since the other 4 are the same exact cards with the same expiration date.

Does anyone know what might be up with the 4 that didn't work? They are MetaBank and I even failed to load $40 thinking it might have been like the Vanilla's.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by fr33b13
Wanted to see if this has ever happened to anyone.

I just got back from my date with Kate and she didn't like 4 of the 8 Staples VISAs that I bought last week. All 8 cards came in the new blue packaging where the "SIGN UP NOW!" for Go Wallet sticker covers the card's numbers.

I checked the balance and changed the PINs on the 4 Kate denied and she still wouldn't take them. It's very strange since the other 4 are the same exact cards with the same expiration date.

Does anyone know what might be up with the 4 that didn't work? They are MetaBank and I even failed to load $40 thinking it might have been like the Vanilla's.
try again tomorrow
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by NttDocomo
Anyhow, I would like to confirm if Serve is still good for MS to meet sign up bonus? I read the wiki and searched but wonder if there's any recent changes or difference experience recently given some of the changes in past month. Just got an AMEX invite and need to MS to meet the signup so wonder if Serve still works as I haven't tried for sometime. Thanks very much for help
In May, our churn team had 2 surpass upgrades and a plat meet minimum spends through serve loads. This month, we'll try meeting 3 DL cards the same way. But yeah, as recently as May, it still works.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
I spoke with the rep at Amex Gold Business card to see if I could load the Amex Serve card without incurring a cash advance fee. She said that it would and therefore, I would need to give her my checking account info for the cash advance. I thanked her and hung up. I decided to just try it, and it doesn't post as a cash advance. However, when I was checking with the rep today, he said that it would not be counted toward the minimum spend for the Membership Rewards bonus that comes with the Gold card sign up. That was the whole reason to get the Serve card. Has anyone had experience recently where loading the Serve card counted toward their minimum spend? Things seem to change so quickly and I don't want to go through all the bother if it won't count. I would really appreciate being enlightened on this matter since the Amex reps don't always have the correct information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.