FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

chaser123 Jun 3, 2015 1:29 pm

Barclay also flagged me today. I was able to clear barclay side online. Chareg went through. No effect on CA limit.

touristtrap Jun 3, 2015 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by rbynes (Post 24913717)
I did a $500 load yesterday from Chase Sapphire Preferred and it went through fine. Today I triggered a fraud alert, but I cleared it by responding to a text message Chase sent me immediately after attempting the transaction. I've never been stopped before either, but eh-- not a big deal!

Last month I changed the amount each day, but didn't feel like doing that this month

+1, although yesterday's bigger load was not flagged:confused:

touristtrap Jun 3, 2015 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by llbad (Post 24913292)
Damn! I got a fraud flag from barclaycard upon loading my grandfathered arrival+ for $500. Which is super strange because I've been loading it ever since serve has been a thing. Called barclay and got the flag removed. STILL CANT LOAD it via serve, they are telling me it is declined and that I need to contact barclaycard, even though they aren't even trying to process it. Is there a time period where once my card is flagged, they stop trying to process it for a bit and just assume it will be declined?

With my CSP I was able to reload immediately after text confirming my intended purchase.

NttDocomo Jun 3, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi everyone, I have hard serve card and recently applied for a new AMEX card. Would like to load funds with the new card into Serve to meet the spending bonus and read in Wiki that AMEX load is still good for meeting spend.

Just curious if any have done it recently and can confirm that loading funds with AMEX into Serve still works for meeting spending bonus? I tried to search and read in the MMS blog that AMEX load no longs works for meeting spending bonus so trying to confirm here.

Thanks very much for any tip and help. Good luck and have a wonderful week :)

michaelr Jun 3, 2015 9:00 pm

Target bank VISA GC declined

I am new to this and just recently got my permanent Serve card. I purchased a $400 Visa gift card issued by Target bank. I am getting the error at Walmart the message "Invalid payment method, use alternate" (this is not verbatim). I tried at Target as well with a similar result except I did not see the messages.

I assume buying a Target bank issued gift card is the problem? Can someone chime in? Thank you!

stutz88 Jun 3, 2015 9:16 pm

I loaded 2500 at Walmart today lol. The cashiers just think it's too much 1k lol, I did 2 per cashier.

Anyway, I thought that Variable VGC were not allowed to be purchased with CC? I just bought 5K of Variable VGCs and I didn't have a problem. I used my Capital Venture, AMEX Gold Premier which now offers 2X points at Groceries and AMEX Everyday.

Loaded 500 each = 1000 Points, Fee 4.94, Got 506 points per each for a total of 5060 points... This is the first time I buy variables, but if I do it for one year thats like 50k points.

WOW :eek:

Phantom707 Jun 3, 2015 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by stutz88 (Post 24915824)
I loaded 2500 at Walmart today lol. The cashiers just think it's too much 1k lol, I did 2 per cashier.

Anyway, I thought that Variable VGC were not allowed to be purchased with CC? I just bought 5K of Variable VGCs and I didn't have a problem. I used my Capital Venture, AMEX Gold Premier which now offers 2X points at Groceries and AMEX Everyday.

Loaded 500 each = 1000 Points, Fee 4.94, Got 506 points per each for a total of 5060 points... This is the first time I buy variables, but if I do it for one year thats like 50k points.

WOW :eek:

If you're talking about buying variable VGC at Walmart, it's a very location dependent thing. I have two Walmarts 30 minutes away from each other (with me in the middle at 15 minutes away from each). One is hard coded not to sell via credit (the cashier did let me try) while the other is fine. It's mostly about where fraud is more prevalent.

myname Jun 4, 2015 12:01 am

I'm new to the game so any advice or tip would greatly be appreciated. I just recently received my permanent serve card and I have 2 Chase Southwest cards I need to meet min spend on. I'm in the Los Angeles area. I haven't found any recent info in this thread about which gift cards are still able to be purchased with credit cards. I read somewhere that Vanilla cards can no longer be used to load Serve. I'm not familiar with the term "variable" VGC. Do I purchase the VGCs at WM and also load my Serve card with the VGC at WM also? Thanks.

stutz88 Jun 4, 2015 12:12 am

Originally Posted by myname (Post 24916358)
I'm new to the game so any advice or tip would greatly be appreciated. I just recently received my permanent serve card and I have 2 Chase Southwest cards I need to meet min spend on. I'm in the Los Angeles area. I haven't found any recent info in this thread about which gift cards are still able to be purchased with credit cards. I read somewhere that Vanilla cards can no longer be used to load Serve. I'm not familiar with the term "variable" VGC. Do I purchase the VGCs at WM and also load my Serve card with the VGC at WM also? Thanks.

Variable are gift cards you can purchase from 25-500 with a 4.95 fee, usually.
The rest are regular gift cards that have a set amount like 25, 50, 100, 200 and 500, but 500s are very rare.
You can load serve by using gift cards that are issued by Metabank and Sunrise! You can load those to your serve, I did it today, 5 variable 500 vGC for a total of 2500.
The Bancorp bank will only allow you to load up to 49.99 on your serve at Walmart or anywhere you can load it. Read the back of the gift card and it will tell you which bank is issuing it.
Finally, just go and try to buy a Variable gift card with your credit card, the worst they can say is that is not accepted, just say I wanna buy this, they'll ask you how much and say 500. Swip your card and see if it will go through.

Most people on here are mean and won't want to help, I had to read and try it on my own. I don't know why they can't take the time to reply.

Porker Jun 4, 2015 1:53 am

Any recent data points on Softcard accounts changing their load card to a different non-AMEX card? I see some posts in early May that indicate success, but I am nonetheless cautious.

ericdabbs Jun 4, 2015 3:25 am

Originally Posted by michaelr (Post 24915770)
I am new to this and just recently got my permanent Serve card. I purchased a $400 Visa gift card issued by Target bank. I am getting the error at Walmart the message "Invalid payment method, use alternate" (this is not verbatim). I tried at Target as well with a similar result except I did not see the messages.

I assume buying a Target bank issued gift card is the problem? Can someone chime in? Thank you!

The Target bank issued VGCs do not work at WM. Someone I know tried to load the Target bank VGC and failed as well. You are not the only one.

knowledgeispower Jun 4, 2015 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Porker (Post 24916596)
Any recent data points on Softcard accounts changing their load card to a different non-AMEX card? I see some posts in early May that indicate success, but I am nonetheless cautious.

Softcard accounts loading to non-AMEX card is working fine just like before. My Chase United Explorer Visa coded as a CA like normal and posted as a sale today. I also was able to switch out cards by deleting and re-linking with no problem this month.

myname Jun 4, 2015 9:29 am

Originally Posted by stutz88 (Post 24916380)
Variable are gift cards you can purchase from 25-500 with a 4.95 fee, usually.
The rest are regular gift cards that have a set amount like 25, 50, 100, 200 and 500, but 500s are very rare.
You can load serve by using gift cards that are issued by Metabank and Sunrise! You can load those to your serve, I did it today, 5 variable 500 vGC for a total of 2500.
The Bancorp bank will only allow you to load up to 49.99 on your serve at Walmart or anywhere you can load it. Read the back of the gift card and it will tell you which bank is issuing it.
Finally, just go and try to buy a Variable gift card with your credit card, the worst they can say is that is not accepted, just say I wanna buy this, they'll ask you how much and say 500. Swip your card and see if it will go through.

Most people on here are mean and won't want to help, I had to read and try it on my own. I don't know why they can't take the time to reply.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Appreciate it.
What stores carry Metabank and Sunrise gift cards? And once I'm able to buy them with my credit card, how and where do I load them on to my Serve? Do I have to go to Walmart or are there other stores? Can I do it online?

travelfreaks Jun 4, 2015 9:57 am

Originally Posted by myname (Post 24918291)
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Appreciate it.
What stores carry Metabank and Sunrise gift cards? And once I'm able to buy them with my credit card, how and where do I load them on to my Serve? Do I have to go to Walmart or are there other stores? Can I do it online?

Check the bow tie guys blog. He will spoon feed you with pictures to make it simple on yourself

myname Jun 4, 2015 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks (Post 24918463)
Check the bow tie guys blog. He will spoon feed you with pictures to make it simple on yourself

Bow tie guy? You mean million mile secrets? I've been on there researching serve, but the articles regarding serve seem to be kinda outdated. I left a question on his contacts page, but I'm still waiting for a response.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Appreciate it.