Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2015)

Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. High "View Count" and "Replies" are good indicators of active "master threads" on a specific topic.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is legal.

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

- A helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS
Print Wikipost

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2015)

Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by waygora
Does anyone have any ideas where to buy GC's at grocery stores in NYC? Trying to max out the Freedom bonus and having trouble finding them.
Stop & Shop.

Originally Posted by hargobind
What are the kinds of things people who load their redcard with CC doing to avoid closed loops, especially the ones doing 10K a month with CC.
What you could do is pay off a different credit card than one you load with. If you're doing 10k a month, then you have 2 RBs. So load RB1 with CC1 and RB2 with CC2. Then pay off CC1 with RB2 and CC2 with RB1. A lot of people don't think this is necessary though.

Originally Posted by CASACW2
Since it seems like RC is having a bunch of stores denying loads via Credit Card... What other fee-free (since RC is fee free) MS options are there? If any?
Serve if you do $1000/month online credit load.

Also, T-Mobile if you're a T-Mobile customer, are able to buy Reloadits with CC, load at least $300 at a time, and don't piss off Bancorp.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by BeyondtheWrap
What you could do is pay off a different credit card than one you load with. If you're doing 10k a month, then you have 2 RBs. So load RB1 with CC1 and RB2 with CC2. Then pay off CC1 with RB2 and CC2 with RB1. A lot of people don't think this is necessary though.
Yeah, but people on the RedBird forum were saying the CC company sees it as the same thing. All they see is a transaction from Amex Redbird and a payment from Amex Redbird and they can't distinguish its from another account.... specifically planning on doing this with Chase United and Chase SP.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by hargobind
Yeah, but people on the RedBird forum were saying the CC company sees it as the same thing. All they see is a transaction from Amex Redbird and a payment from Amex Redbird and they can't distinguish its from another account.... specifically planning on doing this with Chase United and Chase SP.
True, they can't distinguish which account it's coming from.

They don't know you're loading an Amex Redbird unless you tell them. When you load, they see a Target purchase.

I personally don't think it's necessary to avoid "closed loops" with Redbird as long as you don't make it too obvious. Make your loads odd numbers, and wait a few weeks before paying off the cc. Don't pay off the exact amount you loaded; I like to pay off the entire balance on the CC in one payment from Redbird if I can. Since you're using Chase cards, this may be even more important since Chase sees paying from multiple sources as a red flag for MS.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:35 am

AmEx GC's

Hi!

I've been buying VGC's from an office supply store, then having to wait until the next day to load them into my Redbird. I've also noticed that VGC's are harder to find sometimes, I guess due to the fact that they are the only ones that can be loaded in certain MS processes.

Whenever I am at the store to buy the GC's, I always see a bunch of AmEx gc's. I understand they work loading Redbirds. But would I also have to wait a day before loading them like I am having to with VGC's?

Thank you.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by RTWRide
Hi!

I've been buying VGC's from an office supply store, then having to wait until the next day to load them into my Redbird. I've also noticed that VGC's are harder to find sometimes, I guess due to the fact that they are the only ones that can be loaded in certain MS processes.

Whenever I am at the store to buy the GC's, I always see a bunch of AmEx gc's. I understand they work loading Redbirds. But would I also have to wait a day before loading them like I am having to with VGC's?
I haven't bought AGCs at OSS but from experience, just check balance online or call number at back of card. If you see it has been activated with the balance in it, it is safe to load it to your RB. Good luck!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:11 pm

Thanks, mamibear. I'm new at this and my first gc's bought for MS were VGC's from Kroger. I was able to buy them, drive straight to Target, and load them... I'll try your suggestion. Thanks again!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by RTWRide
Hi!

Thank you.
I successfully did this with both visa and amex gift cards bought at office supply stores. The only thing with amex gift cards are that it takes a couple of hours to become activated whereas the visa gift cards were activated immediately...in my experience of course.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:08 pm

Does anyone know if purchasing Amex gif cards count towards Chase sapphire preferred spend or are they listed as cash advance?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:40 pm

Hi, I live in New York City. I just got the Chase IHG mastercard and not able to load into the AX Serve. Is there anyway to hit the $1000.00 spend limit?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by slamny
Hi, I live in New York City. I just got the Chase IHG mastercard and not able to load into the AX Serve. Is there anyway to hit the $1000.00 spend limit?
Do you not spend $1K in 3 months? Pre-pay bills? Buy gas cards? There are pleny of opportunities, although from what I understand, NYC is one of the hardest places in the country to MS.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by xinfamousxi
Does anyone know if purchasing Amex gif cards count towards Chase sapphire preferred spend or are they listed as cash advance?
AGCs should count both towards the Minimum Spend and towards earning base points for your spend. AFAIK, no Chase cards post as cash advance when buying AGCs.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Originally Posted by 1NiteOwL
Awesome, I'll check it out. Thanks.
I've also just put my hand over the speaker to quiet it down enough that it doesn't draw attention....
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:46 am

Other best MS methods?

So does anyone have any other best ms methods? I've recently got started with msing through the Redbird card and managed to get the sign-up bonus for my chase ink card. Obviously I can't use bluebird/serve since those are serve cards as well. Is my next best option to manufacture spending using gift cards from Staples? Or does anyone know a better option that is online only? Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Crusading Angel
So does anyone have any other best ms methods? I've recently got started with msing through the Redbird card and managed to get the sign-up bonus for my chase ink card. Obviously I can't use bluebird/serve since those are serve cards as well. Is my next best option to manufacture spending using gift cards from Staples? Or does anyone know a better option that is online only? Thanks!
you can get more RBs or BB or Serve if you have friends and family who will cooperate with you and allow you to use their SSN to get more cards. OSS are not my first line of MS but if you have more opportunities there and have an Ink card, go for it. There are still a lot of MS opportunities online, some of them have been discussed here and buried in threads; you have to invest time and effort to read about them and try and see if they're not 'dead' yet. Check bloggers also, they mention a lot of MS opportunities, too.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by BeyondtheWrap
Stop & Shop.

Serve if you do $1000/month online credit load.

Also, T-Mobile if you're a T-Mobile customer, are able to buy Reloadits with CC, load at least $300 at a time, and don't piss off Bancorp.
Tried Stop & Shop, had nothing but $50s

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.