FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Chase Q1 and Discover Q 1 CB (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1642129-chase-q1-discover-q-1-cb.html)

jamesteroh Feb 14, 2015 10:18 am

Does airport remote parking lots qualify for discover for transportation services?

ILGfly Feb 14, 2015 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSerforfun (Post 24350071)
So how do we maximum Q2 for both, Discover and Chase. I do not eat (at all) and therefore, the restaurant bonus will not work for me.

I'm assuming you meant eat out. Otherwise please share your secret. :D

BeyondtheWrap Feb 14, 2015 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by MSerforfun (Post 24350071)
So how do we maximum Q2 for both, Discover and Chase. I do not eat (at all) and therefore, the restaurant bonus will not work for me.

If you don't eat, do you drink? Bars are usually coded as restaurants. Starbucks too.

fliesdelta Feb 14, 2015 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by rooney (Post 24094864)
Does ground transportation include Uber anyone? Thanks!

Yes. I used Uber the other day, paid with my Discover, and that charge has the message on the online statement about falling in the ground transportation category.

seahawksunite Feb 15, 2015 2:30 am

Originally Posted by BeyondtheWrap (Post 24352577)
If you don't eat, do you drink? Bars are usually coded as restaurants. Starbucks too.

There are offers on starbucks which usually are much cheaper.

My office has this thing where we can buy mealcards and load money onto them, I will probably load 3k for the whole year :)

DaveInLA Feb 15, 2015 8:49 pm

I just got my Discover IT card earlier this month and have put some spend on it. I haven't used any of the 5% categories yet, though. Does that money show up instantaneously or at the end of the statement? 2 statements later?

Also, I have some money pending from Discover Deals/Shopping via Saks. The email says it can take 6-8 weeks for that money to finalize. I know a lot of cash back portals also take a couple months. Will Discover really take that long to finalize? The miles portals only take anywhere from 1 week for Saks purchases.

ILGfly Feb 15, 2015 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 24358117)
I just got my Discover IT card earlier this month and have put some spend on it. I haven't used any of the 5% categories yet, though. Does that money show up instantaneously or at the end of the statement? 2 statements later?

Also, I have some money pending from Discover Deals/Shopping via Saks. The email says it can take 6-8 weeks for that money to finalize. I know a lot of cash back portals also take a couple months. Will Discover really take that long to finalize? The miles portals only take anywhere from 1 week for Saks purchases.

If you make your purchases within a few days of the statement closing it can sometimes take until the next statement to show up, especially if it's spend on a quarterly bonus category. Otherwise CB from that statement period shows up with that statement closes.

The 6-8 weeks quote is just a blanket CYA timeframe. IME the CB always shows up much sooner than that. Never ordered from Saks though so I can't give personal experience.

roki Mar 3, 2015 10:12 am

I've used probably $200 of my $1500 Discover Q3 bonus (gas has been cheap!). Does -4 even count for that? Or is it pretty much just YMMV and make a test transaction?

Zgirl Mar 3, 2015 10:17 am

Originally Posted by roki (Post 24446964)
I've used probably $200 of my $1500 Discover Q3 bonus (gas has been cheap!). Does -4 even count for that? Or is it pretty much just YMMV and make a test transaction?

Yes -4 counts for Discover bonus for gas. Even if there are no gas pumps. But some cashiers don't allow CCs.

Wonko Mar 3, 2015 10:21 am

Originally Posted by roki (Post 24446964)

Google "Visa merchant codes" (without the quotes) and use their tool to see how your stores are reported. The ones around me all code as gas. The fun is finding one that will take cc. My last source dried up a month ago, luckily after I managed to finish off Discover.

Songer5 Mar 8, 2015 6:17 pm

I dont like to MS at 7-11 because many of them are franchisees who are small business owners. They already have thin margins and dont want to cut into their earnings for MS. Plenty of bigger corporates out there.

PaulMSN Mar 8, 2015 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Songer5 (Post 24475875)
I dont like to MS at 7-11 because many of them are franchisees who are small business owners. They already have thin margins and dont want to cut into their earnings for MS. Plenty of bigger corporates out there.

How are you cutting into their earnings? All you're doing is buying GCs.

Given the markups I see at my 7-Elevens, their margins might not be as thin as you think.

TheDapperDon Mar 8, 2015 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 24476027)
How are you cutting into their earnings? All you're doing is buying GCs.

Given the markups I see at my 7-Elevens, their margins might not be as thin as you think.

Discover and Amex fees are high. They probably aren't making much profit.

roki Mar 9, 2015 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Songer5 (Post 24475875)

Do they pay the 5% CB on the Discover card? Nope.

Do they sell the product? Yep.

I don't see the issue. People seem to think that stores lose money on selling Gift Cards. If they did, they would not sell them. They're not "door busters" designed to get you into their store.

PaulMSN Mar 9, 2015 11:47 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon (Post 24476737)
Discover and Amex fees are high. They probably aren't making much profit.

That would be true anywhere you shopped, not just 7-Elevens. And profit is profit -- if they weren't satisfied with the profit they make, they wouldn't carry the cards.