Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
Data Point:

Purchasing over $1,000 in GC triggers the ODP registers to freeze and requires the cashier to fill in the ODP version of an AML report.
They capture ur DL # and basic info, no SS.
Found that out when I (foolishly) added a couple of AMAZON GCs to my Visa card purchase.
FYI
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by chipcollector
Data Point:

Purchasing over $1,000 in GC triggers the ODP registers to freeze and requires the cashier to fill in the ODP version of an AML report.
They capture ur DL # and basic info, no SS.
Found that out when I (foolishly) added a couple of AMAZON GCs to my Visa card purchase.
FYI
One transaction or several consecutive ones? Were you given them your OD/OM membership number to enter during the VGC transactions?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
These promos tempt cycling CL on Ink but for the most part I've resisted the temptation, have only ever done <1.5xCL but even that feels like flying close to the Ink sun. If any human ever looked at our transactions for eval purposes, they scream 5x abuse via VGC, I don't even add small items anymore to vary the dollar amount so they're all same. Here's hoping we don't get burned.
I've paid down too, but it was primarily with the intention to go slightly above CL. Yeah it's the unknowns...banks can also flag for multiple payments/cycle. But so far so good, knock on MS wood.
Just be careful paying down mid-cycle if you have a bill due. The Chase website shows no payment required if you've paid the minimum. You have to dig in deep to see if there's a remaining statement balance, since the main screen just shows minimum due. If you see that and think you've paid it off, you could end up with interest because there was still more due for that statement. Happened to me when I made a mid-cycle payment, before the previous statement was due. Luckily Chase waived it due to my payment history and explanation. (The mid-cycle payment was actually because I wanted to close a checking account and it needed to be empty to do it. Bill pay was the easiest way to empty it.)
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
One transaction or several consecutive ones? Were you given them your OD/OM membership number to enter during the VGC transactions?
One transaction totaling $1,030.
Honestly cannot recall if I gave them my OD membership info or not. I usually do not for obvious reasons.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:48 pm

Starting Sunday, $10 off $300 in VGC's. The usual limitations.

Not as generous as previous promotions, but better than nothing.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Starting Sunday, $10 off $300 in VGC's. The usual limitations.

Not as generous as previous promotions, but better than nothing.
thanks
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
I think that they're experimenting to see how low they can go and still attract the kinds of customers that they want.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:21 am

Slightly off topic, but has anybody noticed at their store if there are any Shell GCs greater than $25 available?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by canyoncar
Slightly off topic, but has anybody noticed at their store if there are any Shell GCs greater than $25 available?
I have seen some stores carry $50 Shell GCs but most have the $25s.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:43 pm

my go-to OD/OM has lots of GE and DE cards and they're getting the $10 discount. Both still work as usual at WMNM and WMsupercenter.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by sechs
I think that they're experimenting to see how low they can go and still attract the kinds of customers that they want.
Whoever they're trying to attract doesn't care. During last promo the shelves were brimming with inventory. In fact after the death of Bluebird, there was noticeable downturn in sales of these cards. I still see an occasional MSer in my local WM slinging $200s even without the promos. I doubt anyone else buys them.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Whoever they're trying to attract doesn't care. During last promo the shelves were brimming with inventory. In fact after the death of Bluebird, there was noticeable downturn in sales of these cards. I still see an occasional MSer in my local WM slinging $200s even without the promos. I doubt anyone else buys them.
last promo when it was $15 off, all the local OD/OMs were cleaned out of the FiveBacks, so I think there are still plenty of people who care.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by devastitis

last promo when it was $15 off, all the local OD/OMs were cleaned out of the FiveBacks, so I think there are still plenty of people who care.
Perhaps in your area. Mine had so many 5backs they were falling off the hooks. Maybe because there are Simon malls here selling same thing for much lower fees. Isn't the 5back program going away anyhow? Wonder why they're still selling them.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Perhaps in your area. Mine had so many 5backs they were falling off the hooks. Maybe because there are Simon malls here selling same thing for much lower fees. Isn't the 5back program going away anyhow? Wonder why they're still selling them.
There was a promo that was for 5B only at $15/$300,. presumably to clear out the inventory. That was followed by the Thanksgiving promo at $15/$300. Then this current one at $10/$300.

When it was 5B only some stores ran out. But for the Thanksgiving promo, every store has TONS of Everywhere plus the more expensive generic Visa.

All stores in my area still have a ton of the Everywhere. The GE is the only type that tends to go out of stock towards the end of the week but since DE and SE work the same, it does not matter. There are always lots of SE. Generic Visa are falling off hooks. I agree ever since the death of the AMEX prepaid, there is no more shortage of cards to buy. Here you can buy as many as your cards allowed, as well as your recycle places would take. The latter is definitely a deterrent.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
All stores in my area still have a ton of the Everywhere. The GE is the only type that tends to go out of stock towards the end of the week but since DE and SE work the same, it does not matter. There are always lots of SE. Generic Visa are falling off hooks. I agree ever since the death of the AMEX prepaid, there is no more shortage of cards to buy. Here you can buy as many as your cards allowed, as well as your recycle places would take. The latter is definitely a deterrent.
GE, DE, SE? What do these mean? They're not in the glossary. I think the "E" means "Everywhere", but can't quite figure out the first letters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.