Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by moops380
Can a om/od gc be used to pay for the fee portion of the vgc?
This was the best I could find for the T&C's for OD gift cards

This card may not be reloaded. No amount of this card may be applied as payment to any credit account.

So in one sense, the answer should be yes, since I don't consider a purchase fee to be a credit account, and no other limitation is notated on the site.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:43 pm

It'd be nice to know from data points, though it would add another step for cashiers and/or management if the cashier doesn't know how to do this, which might add to their 'these VGC guys' annoyance. I've never done a split payment at OD/OM so I don't know how familiar they would be.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
It'd be nice to know from data points, though it would add another step for cashiers and/or management if the cashier doesn't know how to do this, which might add to their 'these VGC guys' annoyance. I've never done a split payment at OD/OM so I don't know how familiar they would be.
None of the OD stores here can do split payment anymore. The POS literally would not allow it. I have good cashiers who tried and would not be able to do it. A kind store manager actually showed me the screen that it rejected split payment.

18 or more months ago split payments among 2 to 4 cards were possible.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
None of the OD stores here can do split payment anymore. The POS literally would not allow it. I have good cashiers who tried and would not be able to do it. A kind store manager actually showed me the screen that it rejected split payment.

Sounds like hard-coded, at least in your region.

Even if it wasn't the case, personally I would only ask a couple of cashiers that seem capable and friendly and if they were slow at cashout. With the rest I would rather not risk them complaining and consequently curbing my/our VGC trips when the deals come along.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:03 pm

As others have implied, it is in everyone's best interests to keep the VGC purchases as simple as possible. Don't rock the boat or kill the goose, to mix some metaphors. Stay below the radar.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:12 pm

Metro ATL, OD data point: Split $200 Dining VGC 4-ways, 3x$50 SPG, 1x $54.95 INK+ 2 days ago.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
As others have implied, it is in everyone's best interests to keep the VGC purchases as simple as possible. Don't rock the boat or kill the goose, to mix some metaphors. Stay below the radar.
That I totally agree. I am grateful my stores all allow multiple transactions on a visit. No reason to make it more time-consuming with split payments.

Originally Posted by touristtrap
Metro ATL, OD data point: Split $200 Dining VGC 4-ways, 3x$50 SPG, 1x $54.95 INK+ 2 days ago.
Lucky you.

I tried just 2 splits on the AMEX cards with my cashier who is very familiar with the promo since last holiday season. There was no other customer 9am in the morning. Can't do it here. Though I dont mind to buy 2x $200 on a single SPG card. We always need SPG pts. The upcoming trip this August will use up 70 to 80K SPG pts, and actually a bargain thanks to the 1 to 3 to use on Protea properties in South Africa.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 21, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:34 pm

I totally agree [that "it is in everyone's best interests to keep the VGC purchases as simple as possible."] No reason to make it more time-consuming with split payments.

I tried just 2 splits on the AMEX cards.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:59 am

I was able to do split with 8 cards in 1 transaction when I had the Amex offer on most of my SPG Business cards!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I concur.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by esdot
It was 9am in the morning. The store had no customer and my cashier was very familiar with the promo since last holiday season. She actually opened the cupboard to find me the preferred EG cards (and saved me a pack under the counter for my next visit). So we experimented it and the system would not let it.

It is indeed hard-coded in my area. At another store where I was also a known entity to the store manager, he told me it was no longer possible. Since I already tried it at another store the day before, I trust him telling me the truth.

Though even without the AMEX promo, I often spread the OD promo among Ink, SPG and occasionally Membership Reward cards, as we need all 3 currencies. Free is free, and the statement credits just a little extra to help the cost in the long run.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Still would not encourage people to try this without established relationships. This approach should not be normally attempted.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
This won't scale. Here are the "buried" terms and conditions, as shown in the pending rewards in my account: "Members Will Receive 2% Back In Rewards On Up To $200 Dollars Spent Per Quarter On 3rd Party Gift Cards."
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
This won't scale. Here are the "buried" terms and conditions, as shown in the pending rewards in my account: "Members Will Receive 2% Back In Rewards On Up To $200 Dollars Spent Per Quarter On 3rd Party Gift Cards."
Oh wow! $4.00 per quarter! Now I can buy a bigger house.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:17 am

$10 off $50 on Chipotle, Gap, etc. Limit 1 exp 8/19/2017

There is a two-week promo going on from 8/06 to 8/19/2017 to get $10 off $50 on Bath & Body Works, Catherines, Spafinder, PetSmart, Chipotle, and Gap/OldNavy/BananaRepublic gift cards at Office Depot / OfficeMax, limit 1 per transaction.

My store was out of Chipotle gift cards, unfortunately.

If we recall from April, there was a $10 off $50 promo with limit 2 where MasterCard was one of the six included gift cards that ended up being canceled early due to the deal being too good. Looks like they learned this time and did not include a cash-equivalent and made it limit 1 to boot.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.