Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by jk2
Why some managers are so stubborn?

I never had a problem in my OD store, but yesterday it was a manager at the register. He said that variables are cash only. He offered me to get 3x$100 fixed ones. I said "sure, if you cover the fees". And after some thoughts, he did. But register screwed a $15 off discount (or he did). He thought for a minute how to solve it and then decided to give me $15 cash.

Well, he would avoid all this trouble if he wouldn't be so stubborn and rang regular variable visas.
I had an OD manager tell me no splitting 4 GC transactions--not because it violates the promotion terms, but because of "something Homeland Security related."

Where do they come up with this stuff??
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Anyone try yet this morning to confirm the sale is over?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk2
Why some managers are so stubborn?

I never had a problem in my OD store, but yesterday it was a manager at the register. He said that variables are cash only. He offered me to get 3x$100 fixed ones. I said "sure, if you cover the fees". And after some thoughts, he did. But register screwed a $15 off discount (or he did). He thought for a minute how to solve it and then decided to give me $15 cash.

Well, he would avoid all this trouble if he wouldn't be so stubborn and rang regular variable visas.
Last Dec I came upon a manager also insisted only fixed could be bought by CC. He actually opened the cupboard and found me some fixed $200. Somehow I managed to get him at least try the variables (saved $1 fee per card seemed to be good enough to convince him) Then his face expression was priceless when he saw the POS screen did not have any warning and processed as a normal purchase.

Yet, at the very same store this time, another lady manager who had sold me variables last Dec, asked the cashier, "Aren't these cash only?" The cashier said, nope. That is a funny but also sad exchange. A manager asked her cashier how the merchandises can be sold. Obviously she makes more money than her cashiers, yet the cashier knows more how to do the job.

Originally Posted by FrankMS
I had an OD manager tell me no splitting 4 GC transactions--not because it violates the promotion terms, but because of "something Homeland Security related."

Where do they come up with this stuff??
Have had very similar declaration from a Staple manager when I tried to buy gas gift card with the 5B. Gas gift card, not cash equivalent. He claimed Federal Laws prohibit ANY gift card be bought with gift card. "I know because I have gone to a class."

How dumbed-down those AML classes are, and how little the attendees ever absorbed / learned...
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:45 am

It's Done

Originally Posted by DeaconY
Yes, it is over. Glad I got 10 cards yesterday.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by dealhunter32
Then again, who knows if they won't end up doing something stupid like $15 off $100 limit 2 in a few weeks or months.
I agree. This year's deals came way too early compared to last year and back to back at that. In 2016, the first V/MCGC deal did not show up here until late August. It remains to be seen what happens these next few months.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by DeaconY
Yes - it's dead.

I went to an OD store this morning and discount did not ring up. First he said it was because I was purchasing variable load cards but when he tried with fixed load same thing. He had no idea why but would not honor the discount even though signage was still out which said today was the last day.

I then went to my usual OM store close to home. As I walked in a manager who knows me and know why I come in saw me and told me that he got an email this morning that the deal had been pulled a day early and he had taken down his signage.

As it ends up, I had a good week but was looking to pick up another $4K in VGC today. I'm just happy with what I was able to get - lots of UR points for free.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Flyby01
I agree. This year's deals came way too early compared to last year and back to back at that. In 2016, the first V/MCGC deal did not show up here until late August. It remains to be seen what happens these next few months.
at what part of the year this deal shows up usually?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by misterno
at what part of the year this deal shows up usually?
It's different every year, there's no system....so it's pointless trying to predict them. What is more interesting, is why they've started pulling them early. Back 2-3 years ago when you could get unlimited rebates on one big transaction and everyone had Bluebirds, the card supply would get cleaned out within the first two days. Now it seems there's less volume being done.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
It's different every year, there's no system....so it's pointless trying to predict them. What is more interesting, is why they've started pulling them early. Back 2-3 years ago when you could get unlimited rebates on one big transaction and everyone had Bluebirds, the card supply would get cleaned out within the first two days. Now it seems there's less volume being done.
I remember those OD to BB days. Most of my stores are only doing one gift card transaction per visit. B2B2B and so on is few and far between for me. I have two stores so early morning and after work was fine and only an extra hour or two so for the week but at the same time there was almost guaranteed DE/SE/GE availability (at least as guaranteed as there is in this game).
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by sungchiahao
Were you successful in getting style everywhere to work at WM for MO?
Yes!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:10 am
XP1

Originally Posted by chippy111
Manager: It's against the law to make people show ID's to purchase things.
Maybe got confused with merchant agreement, which prohibits asking for ID?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:55 pm

Visa Gift Cards, Buy $300 or more, Save $10 instantly. LIMIT 1. 06/04/2017 - 06/10/2017. In-store only

http://akimages.shoplocal.com/dyn_rp..._AP1_w8p1r.jpg
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
Visa Gift Cards, Buy $300 or more, Save $10 instantly. LIMIT 1. 06/04/2017 - 06/10/2017. In-store only

http://akimages.shoplocal.com/dyn_rp..._AP1_w8p1r.jpg
From $20 off to $15 off and now $10 off. The sky is falling
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Spiral1
From $20 off to $15 off and now $10 off. The sky is falling
Oh man, no more money maker...
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:00 am

Maybe it will last all week now!

then again- I give it til Tuesday.....moving on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.