Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Typhoonpilot
Happy to be in the States for this promotion, it's a good money maker when buying the lower fee D/S/F everywhere cards.
It sure is more profitable to buy the DE/SE cards for me and convert them same day to MOs at the 'hood market. The cashier told me at this store the manager gave them instructions to allow b2b transactions as long as the customer can pay for it.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
I thought different flavors of debits are usually not part of the promo plus some WMS have difficulties in turning them to MOs. What gives...
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
I thought different flavors of debits are usually not part of the promo plus some WMS have difficulties in turning them to MOs. What gives...
All DPs are in the thread, since Aug/Oct promo... All you need is to invest some time to read and digest the DPs.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:22 pm

Curious how heavy do regulars hit this promo each time it comes around, assuming they have willing OD/M stores to do so. More then $4-5K/promo period with the $200 VGCs?

I don't think the volume is of much concern. The number of transactions though is a different story, especially with repeat amounts in just a few days at the same stores, in case a human at Cha$e looks at the account.

When my Ink+ was newer and I hit a couple of stores back to back for the 2nd day of the promo, the fraud system blocked my card. They rep on the phone was very polite and didn't question or insinuate much other then her asking to make sure I was the one doing these transactions at these stores.

Has anyone had their card denied more than once in a few months-1year due to this promo? Was there much said beyond verifying the transactions?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:39 pm

I think the object is to avoid a manual review altogether. I have no idea what the algorithms are, but those of us that use the majority of our Ink annual spend on 5x would be toast if it ever came to a manual review. I doubt chase cares what you're spending it on at the 5x stores just the fact that you are and how it relates to a % of your total annual spend, but them figuring out it's mostly VGC's would be a slam dunk. But that of course would require a manual review.

As to your mention of the decline, that could have something to do with identical charges. Plenty of issuers don't let you make identical charges back to back. As far as once a day for a 6 day rebate, I'm sure length of relationship with Chase would have a lot to do with it as far as getting declined. Some folks throw in $1-3 worth of additional charges so that they are not identical charges so that that particular hurdle is cleared.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:41 pm

Anyone trying to figure out what the triggers are is engaged in wild speculation.

Unless someone has actual data points, guesses are worthless at best, dangerously misleading at worst.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I think the object is to avoid a manual review altogether. I have no idea what the algorithms are, but those of us that use the majority of our Ink annual spend on 5x would be toast if it ever came to a manual review.
That's my concern. There might be a risk even with just talking to a fraud prevention rep about lifting the auto temporary freeze after such transactions. Most probably won't bother but what if you get unlucky and the rep deems it reasonable to forward the account to someone else for a manual review?

Speaking of Cha$e toast, it'd be much worst if they shut you down altogether as opposed to just one Ink card. Not sure if there's enough data points about this as far as people suspecting certain 5x OD/OM activity might have gotten them shut down.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:33 pm

so this is the second sale that none of my OMs seem to be following. The one like a month ago there were no signs and i was told there was no sale on cards, now again no signs and clerks say they don't know of a sale. I've seen the signs out before (like summer time) for these sales, but ever since then i've been SOL. And i don't want to be an ... and have them rip the package so they can scan the things and see, but it seems like Honolulu hates sales. I don't see any other talk of other stores not following these seemingly national deals.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by jeffersun
so this is the second sale that none of my OMs seem to be following. The one like a month ago there were no signs and i was told there was no sale on cards, now again no signs and clerks say they don't know of a sale. I've seen the signs out before (like summer time) for these sales, but ever since then i've been SOL. And i don't want to be an ... and have them rip the package so they can scan the things and see, but it seems like Honolulu hates sales. I don't see any other talk of other stores not following these seemingly national deals.
Many stores don't put the signs out. The register should still take the discount off automatically, the sign usually doesn't have the be physically present in the store.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Re: shutdown worries

I was behind a guy at MaceRich mall desk a few weeks back, buying over 100x$500 VGC. Guess it was his business bonus handouts or promotion or something. Anyway, with Chase or any bank they had BETTER understand gift card purchases during this season. Not going to worry about this, only hitting OM twice a day going to and from work.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL
Many stores don't put the signs out. The register should still take the discount off automatically, the sign usually doesn't have the be physically present in the store.
Actually I had that situation a while back and the discount would not ring up. Turns out that store was going out of business soon and those stores don't have the promo.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Not going to worry about this, only hitting OM twice a day going to and from work.
Do you plan on doing this during the entire promotion, assuming VGCs will be available?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoonRadar
Do you plan on doing this during the entire promotion, assuming VGCs will be available?
If there are still any $200 VGC left. My store will probably be out by tomorrow, not going to trek all over looking for more.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeffersun
You dont need the sign. You need to give your reward account number or the telephone number associated with it. Then once the cashier presses total the discount would apply.

In fact only one OD in my area posts the sign the other 2 dont. A cashier has no clue on the sale when I asks. Does not matter. It works as described above. Whether the store enforces the ONE per customer per day is highly YMMV.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:09 pm

I *think* I've depleted the DE visa debit stock so I ventured to buy $300 worth of SE visa debit and proceeded to the 'hood market. It was a zoo at the 'hood so I went to the supercenter and found out SE also works to buy MOs. Will come back tomorrow for more, rest on Thanksgiving and then go for more Thank you ODOM for this promo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.