Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:50 pm

Hey guys, so I got in on the latest $20 off $300 visa/MC gift card purchase from office max. The store manager had to call in my credit card number to get approval, which is new to me. Should I be concerned that Chase knows I'm buying gift cards?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by babypuwet
Hey guys, so I got in on the latest $20 off $300 visa/MC gift card purchase from office max. The store manager had to call in my credit card number to get approval, which is new to me. Should I be concerned that Chase knows I'm buying gift cards?
This happened to me too. Strange.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by babypuwet
I wouldn't be worried some is just taking the call and process the request. I normally notify chase I'll be making purchases at office max.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:03 pm
Suspended

I think I'm growing tired of these opportunities. Never am able to find fully stocked OM stores with the $200 kind. Always the $100 and $50. Total waste of time and it's been this way for a while.

About fed up.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
I think I'm growing tired of these opportunities. Never am able to find fully stocked OM stores with the $200 kind. Always the $100 and $50. Total waste of time and it's been this way for a while.

About fed up.
Must be the area you live in. But the way gift card inventory is managed by OM is the issue. an outside vendor stocks the display units. ive been fortunate on this promo. I missed out on short lived cc payment on variable. Don't be too salty just wait for the next promotion and hope for the best.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by briang191
Must be the area you live in. But the way gift card inventory is managed by OM is the issue. an outside vendor stocks the display units. ive been fortunate on this promo. I missed out on short lived cc payment on variable. Don't be too salty just wait for the next promotion and hope for the best.
Thing is I'm in the Midwest which is notortiously good for MS opportunities. Slim pickings this time around. Back in the summer I was able to generate about 50-60k UR through this but it took a ridiculous amount of time and gas.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:08 am

Thing is I'm in the Midwest which is notortiously good for MS opportunities. Slim pickings this time around. Back in the summer I was able to generate about 50-60k UR through this but it took a ridiculous amount of time and gas.
I wonder how much time people spend when these deals pop up. Personally I could care less about how much time I spend as long as I'm getting 50k plus on UR. Gas is paid for by the instant rebate so that's another win in my book. Sure I could be at home relaxing or watching tv but then I wouldn't have free UR points.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by briang191
I wonder how much time people spend when these deals pop up. Personally I could care less about how much time I spend as long as I'm getting 50k plus on UR. Gas is paid for by the instant rebate so that's another win in my book. Sure I could be at home relaxing or watching tv but then I wouldn't have free UR points.
Depends on the local geography and leniency of Wally world stores. I can hit up 4-5 OM stores within 1-2hrs, and each one let me buy just under $2k, some even two transactions. I would get any GC $100+ since I can easily load to BB on my regular MO runs or even buy MOs at occasional grocery store on the way. All in all good deal for the money and can coincide with normal MS activity.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Depends on the local geography and leniency of Wally world stores. I can hit up 4-5 OM stores within 1-2hrs, and each one let me buy just under $2k, some even two transactions. I would get any GC $100+ since I can easily load to BB on my regular MO runs or even buy MOs at occasional grocery store on the way. All in all good deal for the money and can coincide with normal MS activity.
Which stores let you buy money orders with VGCs? I thought that was dead.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: All of them
Which stores let you buy money orders with VGCs? I thought that was dead.
It's highly local, and varies store to store. Just go try it out and see where you can get away with it.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Folks, don't call the store to ask if they have stock. Just show up and check.

Talked to the guy in my building who works at OM, and they were inundated with calls about this deal, with some callers getting pissy when the store refused to hold gift cards. This did not make the employees happy. And, apparently no one who called this particular store got any $200 cards.

If you need to know if they have them before going, then it's already not worth it.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:35 pm

I think someone mentioned this before but I asked an OM manager anyway. He said the store sales don't include GC sales. So it is more of "extra" work selling those. Of course they hope those promotions would bring more customers into the store to buy other stuff, but it is obvious it is not the case for most stores.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:00 pm

There was like 15 of the visa giftcards available. It said "$20-$500" 5.95 purchase fee. Is this the correct one? The $200 ones were OOS.

When I got to the cash register, the manager said it would have to be cash only.

edit: there also wasn't any signs near the gift cards that had the $20 off $300.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:13 pm

It said "$20-$500" 5.95 purchase fee. Is this the correct one? The $200 ones were OOS.
No, the $20-500 variable cards are cash only. You need to find the $100 or $200 cards.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by sechs
Folks, don't call the store to ask if they have stock. Just show up and check.

Talked to the guy in my building who works at OM, and they were inundated with calls about this deal, with some callers getting pissy when the store refused to hold gift cards. This did not make the employees happy. And, apparently no one who called this particular store got any $200 cards.

If you need to know if they have them before going, then it's already not worth it.
This is YMMV I've called stores and one store actually held gift cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.