Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 8:47 am

I drained mine at three different Targets in FLL and ATL with no issues. Business as usual and pleasant employees all around. Some still thought I could use credit.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Anomalychick
Went to Office Max yesterday. I bought the last three cards in the store and asked the person checking me out (name tag said store manager) if they had any more, I said they were a great deal since they were basically giving away free money. He told me they were completely out and I commented that free money must be pretty popular. His reply freaked me out a bit. He said that the reason why they were out is because they were all being bought up by people trying to earn hotel points. He said they basically do a bunch of money transfers, like money laundering and maybe it costs them a few dollars but they at least break even with the hotel points in the end. It was clear he didn't completely understand the process. He said the store wasn't allowed to accept any hotel branded CCs because he didn't want to be involved. He then let me pay with an Amex GC.

I wasn't around then, but didn't the US Mint deal end because the rewards frenzy actually made it onto the news? It's happening again.

We are CLEARLY completely out of control.
Eh, I'm not surprised. Redbird was what triggered this...it was an easy way for a lot of people to get into MS on a large scale.

The other thing is that...let's face it, with the "$20 off of $300" offer, assuming a mechanism to unload them I'd expect a stampede. What surprises me about this isn't that it's blown up like this...it's that OM was caught by surprise at what happened.

Edit: Actually...in a sense, the internet is the problem. Witness the United Denmark fiasco (where at least 15k people were affected...15k being the number of "comments" the DOT got).

Last edited by GrayAnderson; May 15, 2015 at 8:58 am
Old May 15, 2015, 11:44 am

Do all Metabank VGC have default PIN as the last 4 card number? The packs I got didn't specify it. The previous ones had that verbiage on the back of the cards. I am asking do I need to manually set PINs?
Old May 15, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by sungchiahao
Do all Metabank VGC have default PIN as the last 4 card number? The packs I got didn't specify it. The previous ones had that verbiage on the back of the cards. I am asking do I need to manually set PINs?
I once got a very old Metabank with an expiration year of 2021 I believe and last 4 digits worked as PIN, as usual.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by Anomalychick
... He said that the reason why they were out is because they were all being bought up by people trying to earn hotel points. He said they basically do a bunch of money transfers, like money laundering ...
Managers, cashiers and ms'ers all need a lesson in what money laundering really is. It amazes me how much those words get thrown around when they have no connection whatsoever with ms. ML is about the cleaning (legitimizing) CASH that a criminal has obtained illegally. It's about cash, not credit cards, not hotel points or airline miles, just plain old cash. When a drug dealer sells their stuff they end up with lots of cash. They don't want to take all the cash to the bank so they launder it. That does not mean taking their cc to OM to buy VGC. Now, if I were a OM/OD manager I would be much more concerned if I saw a dude come in with $xxxx in cash who wanted to buy VGC. But, ml is not cc fraud. cc fraud is another animal entirely, but it is not ML. And, they're doing the right thing when they ask cc users to show their DL for photo ID. That cuts down on a lot of fraud. Besides, many of us frequent OM enough and even buy other goods like printers, toner paper and other supplies we're certainly not going to come in with stolen cards to buy VGC. If they see our faces many times, don't treat us like criminals. The frausters they have caught they usually have never seen before, they travel together and most aren't U.S. citizens.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, Hyatt Explorist, JetBlue Mosaic, Wyndham Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Churnman
And, they're doing the right thing when they ask cc users to show their DL for photo ID.
But both Visa and MasterCard do not allow merchants require ID to make a sale.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
I once got a very old Metabank with an expiration year of 2021 I believe and last 4 digits worked as PIN, as usual.
Yup, the last 4 digits worked. Thanks!
Old May 15, 2015, 1:59 pm

Got 'Not Authorized' when trying to buy MO at Kroger right out of door from OD with $200 VGC Blue Package. Used the last 4 digits as PIN. Called Vanilla CS, was told I was trying to get cash advance... Any waiting period needed for these new blue Packaged VGC? The old white packaged worked as usual.
Old May 15, 2015, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman
Managers, cashiers and ms'ers all need a lesson in what money laundering really is. It amazes me how much those words get thrown around when they have no connection whatsoever with ms. ML is about the cleaning (legitimizing) CASH that a criminal has obtained illegally. It's about cash, not credit cards, not hotel points or airline miles, just plain old cash. When a drug dealer sells their stuff they end up with lots of cash. They don't want to take all the cash to the bank so they launder it. That does not mean taking their cc to OM to buy VGC. Now, if I were a OM/OD manager I would be much more concerned if I saw a dude come in with $xxxx in cash who wanted to buy VGC. But, ml is not cc fraud. cc fraud is another animal entirely, but it is not ML. And, they're doing the right thing when they ask cc users to show their DL for photo ID. That cuts down on a lot of fraud. Besides, many of us frequent OM enough and even buy other goods like printers, toner paper and other supplies we're certainly not going to come in with stolen cards to buy VGC. If they see our faces many times, don't treat us like criminals. The frausters they have caught they usually have never seen before, they travel together and most aren't U.S. citizens.
I sense the use of words like fraud and ML are not always out of ignorance but is intentional, its their way of telling u, get out of here.....teenagers use it because adults tell them.

Accusing anyone of 'fraud' without the proof/substantiation is defamation of character , a criminal act punishable by Jail time is taken very casually

9/11, patriot act, terrorist, 'for your protection' are few more phrases abused randomly!
Old May 15, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by OC_Matt
But both Visa and MasterCard do not allow merchants require ID to make a sale.
because more sales more profits, for fraud they have insurance....

I think the fear of fraud is spread much more than the actual fraud. Fraud prevention is job of police and security dept. not the cashiers and store managers...

The best way of 'fraud prevention' is to stop giving 5% rebate CC to my Dog @:-)
Old May 15, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by spgbus
Got 'Not Authorized' when trying to buy MO at Kroger right out of door from OD with $200 VGC Blue Package. Used the last 4 digits as PIN. Called Vanilla CS, was told I was trying to get cash advance... Any waiting period needed for these new blue Packaged VGC? The old white packaged worked as usual.
There is a 2-4 hour waiting time on cards bought from OD. Make sure you reset the pin on the vanilla website before you try again.
Old May 15, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
There is a 2-4 hour waiting time on cards bought from OD. Make sure you reset the pin on the vanilla website before you try again.
sometimes not always, I walk from OD to WMT (less than 5 min) mostly has worked but also experienced 'not available' to come back next day.
Old May 15, 2015, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Snagged $1,400 worth of the $200 VGC's from 2 different stores today. Ya!!!!!! ^
Old May 15, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Man, been to 7 different stores in the past week. No luck at any of them
Old May 15, 2015, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jpvetter
Man, been to 7 different stores in the past week. No luck at any of them
call ahead amd ask.. the information I've been given has been very reliable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.