Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
So I've visited a couple of OMs over the last day and a half. My record on finding the "blue case" VGCs is a bit more than 50%, though in two cases I was pretty much clearing the last ones out. In one case I got stuck with the "gold case"/call-to-add-PIN cards, in one case they were down to a bunch of $100 cards, and in one case they only had two of the $100 cards left.

So on the one hand, the stocking situation isn't great. On the other hand, while it isn't great, it is also far from as bad as it was made out to be.
Found one with the $200 "Blue Case" VGCs today. Initially walked in and saw two lonely $100 VGCs hanging on the rack and was sad, but looked up to see the $200 beauties. I hit that store up twice for $600 each today. There are probably 10-12 left, so may hit them up Saturday morning again before this deal ends.

Interestingly, the first OM where I found VGC in stock had some really old MetaBank VGCs. I was thrown for a loop when they had no info about the default PIN anywhere inside or outside of the packaging. Next I noticed that there was no sticker on the front of the card. Finally, I noticed a very close-in expiration date (5/2019). I looked on the back of the packaging and found what appeared to be a production date of 4/10, compared to 1/15 on the Blue Cases. They said debit on them and worked just like they should. Either this store is very slow to turn over GC inventory, or these sat around somewhere in a wharehouse for a long time before I got my hands on them.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Wonko
And that would be big incentive for them to not offer these deals any more.
OK, so you are one of those that think everybody should be grateful to these corporations of the handouts offered, out of their generosity in their hearts towards the society? and

Shareholder interests and Executive bonuses are of secondary interest?

I asked the OM store-manager Why would you give me $300 for my $281? does not make sense he said Black hawk makes lots of money, about 20%+ in overages, so they give this incentive, more gift cards they sell more overages they get to keep.

So every $300 sale, they get to keep $60 (20%) from which they can afford to share(incentive) $19 with you. Makes any sense?

THey have no 2x300 limit and have license to ML.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:11 pm

I'm at/near Office Depot so will really appreciate a quick reply.

Do those visa gift cards qualify for this offer where you can load $20-$500?
Old May 14, 2015, 9:13 pm

Old May 14, 2015, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by FTaddict

yes, but you will have to pay cash for them
Old May 14, 2015, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
yes, but you will have to pay cash for them
Assuming the $20-500 has a load fee of $6.95, throw on a $100 for a $5.95 fee and you've still got a $27.10 profit. Not what most in here are chasing after, but still a good money maker.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
Originally Posted by mnCO
Assuming the $20-500 has a load fee of $6.95, throw on a $100 for a $5.95 fee and you've still got a $27.10 profit. Not what most in here are chasing after, but still a good money maker.
You could use a RB or cash from it
Old May 14, 2015, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by mnCO

The fee for variables is $4.95. It's basically $30 profit for each $600 if u load 2 variables with $300 each and pay cash. The main selling point for this is that every OM and OD has variables in stock. You could go to 10 stores and buy $6000 in gift cards and make $300 profit, minus liquidation costs and time. Of course, you'd have to have that much cash in hand to do it.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wonko
And that would be big incentive for them to not offer these deals any more.
It should be an incentive for them to keep their inventory in stock. Otherwise it's a bait and switch. Tempt consumers to come in for this mythical deal of the century and then tell them, "Oh sorry folks we don't have those anymore. And no rain check, sorry. But we have some beautiful ballpoint pens in Aisle 5."
Old May 15, 2015, 5:34 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
So, at the moment I'm wondering what the best drain alternatives to Target are at the moment (since Target is getting touchy...m local Target got a "you shouldn't check out friends and family" speech last weel).
Old May 15, 2015, 5:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
So, at the moment I'm wondering what the best drain alternatives to Target are at the moment (since Target is getting touchy...m local Target got a "you shouldn't check out friends and family" speech last weel).
Money Orders with Walmart perhaps. Or Bluebird/Serve. Will need to look into them and see if its worth effort.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Money Orders with Walmart perhaps. Or Bluebird/Serve. Will need to look into them and see if its worth effort.
Vanillas will be rejected at WM POS for loads or MOs more than $49.99
Old May 15, 2015, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by FTaddict

Yes, some staff are offering them but you pay in cash. This can still be MM for every $20 less the purchase fees. Would've been nice to earn rewards from using CCs though.
Old May 15, 2015, 7:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Vanillas will be rejected at WM POS for loads or MOs more than $49.99
Will have to do that then to clear out my remaining VGCs. Especially if Target starts enforcing no debit cards.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: AA is all for now.
Went to Office Max yesterday. I bought the last three cards in the store and asked the person checking me out (name tag said store manager) if they had any more, I said they were a great deal since they were basically giving away free money. He told me they were completely out and I commented that free money must be pretty popular. His reply freaked me out a bit. He said that the reason why they were out is because they were all being bought up by people trying to earn hotel points. He said they basically do a bunch of money transfers, like money laundering and maybe it costs them a few dollars but they at least break even with the hotel points in the end. It was clear he didn't completely understand the process. He said the store wasn't allowed to accept any hotel branded CCs because he didn't want to be involved. He then let me pay with an Amex GC.

I wasn't around then, but didn't the US Mint deal end because the rewards frenzy actually made it onto the news? It's happening again.

We are CLEARLY completely out of control.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.