Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
Originally Posted by alaskantraveler
I've been making the rounds to the three OD stores in my area. At this point, I have cleared all of them out of $200 visa gc and one store has a few $100 visa gc left.
So thats what happened to all of these.
Old May 10, 2015, 6:11 pm

I went to one and he tried to load the variable type and won't let me use CC. I am guessing the clerk did not grab the correct type?
Old May 10, 2015, 6:13 pm

Cash only for the variable value cards at OD/OM.
Old May 10, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by alaskantraveler
I've been making the rounds to the three OD stores in my area. At this point, I have cleared all of them out of $200 visa gc and one store has a few $100 visa gc left.
Congratulations, you're "that guy."
Old May 10, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by sechs
Congratulations, you're "that guy."
dude you snooze you lose
Old May 10, 2015, 9:15 pm

Is it possible to purchase these vgc with OD/OM gift card?
Old May 10, 2015, 9:16 pm

at mine they look at me like i'm a criminal ... or like i'm stealing from there paycheck!
Old May 10, 2015, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by simonzhy
Is it possible to purchase these vgc with OD/OM gift card?
I would say slim to no chance. But YMMV
Old May 11, 2015, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by briang191
I would say slim to no chance. But YMMV
There is a pop-up message on the cashier's screen that says NO STORE GIFT CARDS ALLOWED. Not sure if it is hard coded though. You will almost certainly not be allowed to use it.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: AA is all for now.
I tried to use an AGC. I was told that a memo had been sent out recently informing them that AGCs can no longer be used as tender for other GCs. I blame the redbird refugees.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by Anomalychick
I tried to use an AGC. I was told that a memo had been sent out recently informing them that AGCs can no longer be used as tender for other GCs. I blame the redbird refugees.
AGC use will dissipate quickly since many are no longer ordering due to higher liquidation cost compared to the low cb% from portals. Many ignore 1.5% offers from portals since it isn't worth the time and expense to liquidate AGC at that rate in many ms'ers minds.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Anomalychick
I assume this only applies to non-personalized AGC...
Old May 11, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I decided to go another round yesterday. One store only had 2 $100s, two had no $200s but plenty of $100s. I decided I'm sick of dealing with $100s, though, so I didn't buy. The fourth store, which had never had any in stock before, now had plenty of the new blue $200s. When the cashier called for the manager to override for the $600, he didn't want to come out of the back, apparently telling the clerk that he couldn't sell that many cards. The clerk told him that he'd just done the exact same sale on Saturday, and the manager finally came out, after a five-minute wait.

He started the override and the correct discounted price came up on the screen, but then he stopped and declared that they could only sell me enough cards for one offer. I pointed out that the sign said 2 offers per customer, so he went over to the sign, dawdled about it for a while, then came back and told me that they could only sell $400 worth of cards. The cashier again pointed out that he sold $600 yesterday and it only needed manager approval, but then the manager told me that I could buy 2 times, but it had to be on separate days. I left in disgust, after wasting 10-15 minutes.

The man had a grim look on his face the entire time -- he was probably having a bad day and apparently likes to spread it around. I'm contemplating a complaint to Office Max. Three different excuses for not selling to me is a bit much.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: All of them
You definitely should complain. Rogue managers who make up policies on the spot could be considered a form of discrimination, so play up that angle.

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I decided to go another round yesterday. One store only had 2 $100s, two had no $200s but plenty of $100s. I decided I'm sick of dealing with $100s, though, so I didn't buy. The fourth store, which had never had any in stock before, now had plenty of the new blue $200s. When the cashier called for the manager to override for the $600, he didn't want to come out of the back, apparently telling the clerk that he couldn't sell that many cards. The clerk told him that he'd just done the exact same sale on Saturday, and the manager finally came out, after a five-minute wait.

He started the override and the correct discounted price came up on the screen, but then he stopped and declared that they could only sell me enough cards for one offer. I pointed out that the sign said 2 offers per customer, so he went over to the sign, dawdled about it for a while, then came back and told me that they could only sell $400 worth of cards. The cashier again pointed out that he sold $600 yesterday and it only needed manager approval, but then the manager told me that I could buy 2 times, but it had to be on separate days. I left in disgust, after wasting 10-15 minutes.

The man had a grim look on his face the entire time -- he was probably having a bad day and apparently likes to spread it around. I'm contemplating a complaint to Office Max. Three different excuses for not selling to me is a bit much.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:01 am
jk2

Something is going on with personnel from office supplies stores - staples, OD. They are so so unfriendly. Even WM personnel is more friendly. In one OD store I got 2x$200 (to test waters) and came back for another 2 cards. Cashier called a 'manager', who told me that their policy is 1 GC transaction per day. ...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.