Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free $5 Walgreens GC with 2 GC purchases

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by sbft77
So, you're saying that the "total $500 transaction" limit doesn't really exist, since you were able to buy more than that? Or the limit is per credit card payment, so paying with 2 credit cards in one transaction avoids it? Or do you mean that you did 2 completely separate transactions, and then asked them to manually give you the $5 bonus?
OK, let me start with a response here.

TO sbft: After my conversation with the LEAD (about to go have lunch), I got the instruction, "you can try it" but was convinced my "it" and his idea of "it" was not the same. I had been advised MANY times at different stores, that $500, despite the two Visa GC promotion (ie, the BUY two, receive $5 Wags GC), was the maximum spend. But, I decided to do what he said.

Now I had two glitches at the register that I will not review here for sake of time AND, because what the cashiers did was irrelevant to the final outcome.

I bought two cards, same transaction: $500 and $375. I used split payments. $500 for one (without fee) to further my DS card cash back goal of $300 cash back for spending through January, 2014. I was unable to load AFTs because I got off schedule so I looked for a spending alternative with a perk in return and chose this one now before my travel starts up again for Christmas. I have a big investment of time and management in this, so far.

The second split payment was on my 1.5% cash back CC. This allowed me to glean around $5.90 in cash back which helps the bottom line a (very) tiny bit. The Wags GC "covers" the first card fee as I am a frequent Wags shopper. I was there on military discount day for other shopping, anyway. (I had money maker BF Register Rewards to spend).

If one can get the cashier to accept over $500 in one transaction, the split payment should be handled the same way if you bought two regular items in the store and wanted to pay $10 on two CCs, or whatever.

So, yes, I was able to buy $875 in Visa GCs in one transaction. $889.90 total.

I go back to AFT tomorrow, hopefully. HTH!

PS To Raccah: I did nothing different than usual to obtain split payments. First cashier just didn't do it like she could have and I started over with a higher level employee who did it just fine. I just think a lot of times it's just a staff member who lacks efficiency or has lack of experience.

Last edited by jan_believes; Dec 5, 2014 at 12:23 pm
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by Rooks
I was limited today by the manager also. The kid actually scanned two $500's for me and they both rang up but the manager came and told me of the new policy. She only let me buy one $500 and gave me the $5 gift card anyway.
^
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:24 pm

I have found that WAG is YMMV for more than $500
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:21 pm

I don't understand why WAG keeps pushing this offer if they won't allow us to buy 2 Gift cards! Are WAG corporate employees this dumb?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:27 pm

afaik, it is still YMMV per district. our stores don't blink when buying 2 variable OVs of $500 each when this offer comes around. this offer comes several times a year so cashiers are used to it by now.

if OVs were not so volatile and I could 'process' them as quickly as several weeks ago, I'd be all over this deal. I'd rather not use my time to see if they work at WM or not, at the moment.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by andres17
I don't understand why WAG keeps pushing this offer if they won't allow us to buy 2 Gift cards! Are WAG corporate employees this dumb?
They're probably targeting non-MS people who will buy two $25 cards (so the $500 limit wouldn't matter).
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:04 pm

I just noticed in the RA ad that they are giving a $5 GC if you buy two Vanilla MC's this week.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:15 pm

Lady at my local Walgreens an hour ago trying to buy 10 OVs at the same time: Thanks! You just killed my ability to buy just 2 at a time like I've been doing for years because they called loss prevention to ask and now the store management is aware of the daily limit!

And for anyone that doesn't know: they're running this promotion again this week until the 9th. Buy 2 Vanilla GCs and get a free $5 Walgreens GC.
Old May 7, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by ILGfly
Lady at my local Walgreens an hour ago trying to buy 10 OVs at the same time: Thanks! You just killed my ability to buy just 2 at a time like I've been doing for years because they called loss prevention to ask and now the store management is aware of the daily limit!

And for anyone that doesn't know: they're running this promotion again this week until the 9th. Buy 2 Vanilla GCs and get a free $5 Walgreens GC.
Do you buy the variable OVGC / VVGC or fixed value? I just tried to buy the 2 variable VVGC and was told I can only buy a total of $500. So I split the it for $250 each and figured I came out ahead vs $200 fixed VGC that has $5.95 fee. I had to talk to the manager to get my $5 Walgreens gift card. He said the reason for the limit was to prevent money laundering. I doubt the register was hard coded, but manager and assoicate were adamant against running the transaction.

The associate did say it could just be his walgreens and try another walgreens or CVS.

I didn't run my walgreens number but I guess I should have done it to get walgreens points. Next time.

For efficiency purposes, should I have been doing this amount for 495.05? I've never explored the VGC/MGC route of MS and can do more research on my own if you don't mind linking me the thread, or want to take the answer to PM.
Old May 7, 2015, 3:05 pm

my sister used the variable OVs she bought from WAG this week to load her RB and it worked nicely for $1K doing 2 swipes as debit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.