Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Amazing MS opportunity at my local grocery store! $10 back for every $100 spent on GC

Amazing MS opportunity at my local grocery store! $10 back for every $100 spent on GC

Old Dec 4, 14, 7:05 pm

In a Cub store today buying 3 GC. Guy three people in front of me is buying $3000. No problems as far as I can see. Floor manager is there making small talk. He see's 30 $10 off coupons come spilling out of register, calls on a walkie talkie upstairs to the store manager. "hey, in that store meeting this morning we talked about an error with coupons for the gift cards. This customer is breaking the bank here, etc. etc…" Store manager: 'the deal is $10 coupon for $100 in gift card spend'. Floor manager- 'Okay, just seems weird. Guy is getting a better deal that this woman who has a winning lotto ticket'.

Two thoughts pertaining to this conversation and this thread: One- Cub foods doesn't pay/train their employees enough for the employees to care about a deal gone south for the store. Two- this deal is very much store specific, 3 of the 5 stores I've visited had either no $20-500 GC or one coupon per GC limits. The other two stores had employees who laughed about how many $10 coupons were printing off.
If Cub foods is weaning off accepting CC for GC purchases its not b/c of this deal. I'll be back tomorrow for more before the deal runs out.
Old Dec 5, 14, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by fti View Post
If you truly believe that, you are not looking very hard in MN.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by teddy25 View Post
It isn't the only one, but it is the best at this point.
Along with the above quote, it depends entirely on the goal of someone's MS. I didn't get the $20 deal last week (apparently I showed up one day too early for coupons to print), but I did spend the weekend working on the Office Max deal. From a points perspective, that was a much more significant win than this. From a "money back" perspective, this one is outstanding.

Originally Posted by mulbry View Post
In a Cub store today buying 3 GC. Guy three people in front of me is buying $3000. No problems as far as I can see. Floor manager is there making small talk. He see's 30 $10 off coupons come spilling out of register, calls on a walkie talkie upstairs to the store manager. "hey, in that store meeting this morning we talked about an error with coupons for the gift cards. This customer is breaking the bank here, etc. etc…" Store manager: 'the deal is $10 coupon for $100 in gift card spend'. Floor manager- 'Okay, just seems weird. Guy is getting a better deal that this woman who has a winning lotto ticket'.

Two thoughts pertaining to this conversation and this thread: One- Cub foods doesn't pay/train their employees enough for the employees to care about a deal gone south for the store. Two- this deal is very much store specific, 3 of the 5 stores I've visited had either no $20-500 GC or one coupon per GC limits. The other two stores had employees who laughed about how many $10 coupons were printing off.
If Cub foods is weaning off accepting CC for GC purchases its not b/c of this deal. I'll be back tomorrow for more before the deal runs out.
No reason to work in large amounts on any deal. Printing 30 coupons in a transaction sets off alarms about potential scams. With the number of stores available in most areas there is no reason not to work small and bounce around.
Old Dec 5, 14, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25 View Post
The T&C states "$10 coupon per giftcard purchase of $100 OR more". So a $500 card should only net a single $10 coupon.

Also, the prior promos, you were able use the self checkout lanes without issues. I assume due to some abuse, the coupon now requires a override by an employee only.
I can confirm that coupon requires override & it's $10 coupon for $500 GC not 5 x $10 coupon.
Old Dec 5, 14, 4:38 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by WoodenRobot View Post
I can confirm that coupon requires override & it's $10 coupon for $500 GC not 5 x $10 coupon.
So they updated the system
Old Dec 5, 14, 5:27 pm

I purchased $1500 in visa cards on Wed and got 15 $10 coupons. It took quite a while to check out with 15 separate $10+ transactions...
Old Dec 5, 14, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by mulbry View Post

Sounds like you found me at the Uni and Snelling store
Old Dec 6, 14, 8:42 pm

Crap, that was you??? I always wondered what the RFD stood for. I could've asked in person!
Old Dec 6, 14, 10:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
hilarious story rfd. I'm SE MN and will have to try the local CF.
Old Dec 6, 14, 10:34 pm

Well I'll tell ya this, it's not my initials.

Anyone had success Friday or today? I haven't been on the area to try again
Old Dec 6, 14, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota View Post
Well I'll tell ya this, it's not my initials.

Anyone had success Friday or today? I haven't been on the area to try again
Friday, I bought a single $500 GC and got 1 $10 coupon.
Old Dec 6, 14, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, the deal is over with. Bought more today and only got 3 $10 coupons. All in all, I had $980 in coupons and finished using the last of them today.
Old Dec 7, 14, 4:39 am

Programs: UA, AA
Very nice, OP!!
Old Dec 7, 14, 3:31 pm

Well I've got a substantial social function I'm organizing and would be willing to purchase/take some coupons off one's hands if they will not be using all of them
Old Dec 9, 14, 8:30 pm

Wow, who knew there were so many FT Neighbors

I can confirm that that Midway Cub has $10 coupons for a $100 gift card. I did not try $200. PITA yesterday, as my plan was to buy an Amazon gift card, get the $10 coupon and do some shopping. Got the gift card, but no coupon came out. I had to go to Customer Service. And I waited, and waited. All for the ten dollars. Swore not to rinse and repeat.

Went back tonight on my way home from work. Another $100/10 deal. Since I am not MSing in the typical sense, there is a limit to how much I want to stock up on Amazon and Holiday gas gift cards.
Old Dec 9, 14, 8:33 pm

PS

I am up to $0.65 discount per gallon of gas. Makes me wish I had a storage tank.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: