FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Amazing MS opportunity at my local grocery store! $10 back for every $100 spent on GC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1633495-amazing-ms-opportunity-my-local-grocery-store-10-back-every-100-spent-gc.html)

tilleyd Dec 3, 2014 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by PowerMan572 (Post 23931548)
My local grocery store has this amazing deal going on right now for the holiday season. For every $100 spent on certain gift cards, you get $10 back! You would think that you'd only get one $10 coupon for one $500 gift card. Nope! They're going by purchase amount! So a $500 gift cards earns $50 in coupons.

They have variable load MasterCard gift cards with a $5.95 activation. I loaded 8 cards at $500 a piece for a grand total of $4,000. In return I received $400 in $10 coupons to spend on my next purchase!

I went to Walmart, liquidated the gift cards via BlueBird and then went back to the grocery store to do some shopping! I put $345 worth of merchandise on the conveyor belt, scanned the coupons and only paid $95 :D Saved $250!

Went back today and bought another $2,500 worth of gift cards to receive yet another $250 to spend at the grocery store! Man, this is like taking candy from a baby!

I bought more merchandise today. Total came to $208 and I only spent $50 of my own money.

What's the catch? I have to have the cashier turn off her light because the $10 coupons only work once per transaction. So once I scan a couple items and the total comes to $10.03, $10.75, $14, etc.. then I scan the coupon, pay the remaining balance and continue on.

Full article posted on my blog here.

Just purchased 5 - $500 cards ($2,500) total. Required Manager override. Receipt printed 25 $10 off coupons afterwards. Loaded $1500 to BB at WMT via Metabank ATM Kiosk successfully, loaded one more $500 to BB after the kiosk required manager authorization after the initial $1500.

Buyer beware: Only one coupon can be used per transaction and all 25 of my coupons expire 12/17/2014!!!! Was disappointed to learn that. Oh well, net gain. :D

hamokmonky Dec 3, 2014 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by tilleyd (Post 23936975)
Just purchased 5 - $500 cards ($2,500) total. Required Manager override. Receipt printed 25 $10 off coupons afterwards. Loaded $1500 to BB at WMT via Metabank ATM Kiosk successfully, loaded one more $500 to BB after the kiosk required manager authorization after the initial $1500. Buyer beware: Only one coupon can be used per transaction and all 25 of my coupons expire 12/17/2014!!!! Was disappointed to learn that. Oh well, net gain. :D

/facepalm

hitman1420 Dec 3, 2014 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by tilleyd (Post 23936975)
Just purchased 5 - $500 cards ($2,500) total. Required Manager override. Receipt printed 25 $10 off coupons afterwards. Loaded $1500 to BB at WMT via Metabank ATM Kiosk successfully, loaded one more $500 to BB after the kiosk required manager authorization after the initial $1500.

Buyer beware: Only one coupon can be used per transaction and all 25 of my coupons expire 12/17/2014!!!! Was disappointed to learn that. Oh well, net gain. :D

I am so jealous this kind of offer doesn't exist here. I wonder how much they lose from MSers taking advantage of this. I know last year I got ~$1500 during a couple weeks when Albertson's was having a similar sale.

VizeL Dec 3, 2014 2:18 pm

Damn, I hoped it wasnt where I was...but is is...seems like the closest one is an hour away though. I don't think I'd ever buy that much in groceries though...

IslandOfEnchantment Dec 3, 2014 2:29 pm

How do you find out about these deals? Do they put it in the shoppers or newspapers?

tilleyd Dec 3, 2014 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by VizeL (Post 23937492)
Damn, I hoped it wasnt where I was...but is is...seems like the closest one is an hour away though. I don't think I'd ever buy that much in groceries though...

Originally Posted by IslandOfEnchantment (Post 23937543)
How do you find out about these deals? Do they put it in the shoppers or newspapers?

Don't have to buy groceries. Plenty of non-perishables that can be purchased as well (e.g., diapers, toilet paper, deoderant, cleaning supplies, etc.)

This deal was posted in the weekly Cubfoods flyer. However, I found out about the deal from the OP.

WoodenRobot Dec 3, 2014 3:05 pm

Thanks OP.

Stoughton Dec 3, 2014 9:04 pm

I'm really enjoying how it's becoming the norm on FT to detail out every little step of acquisition and liquidation. In many ways, it's parallels my 2 y/o's experiences with toilet training.

tilleyd Dec 3, 2014 9:46 pm

Tried using the $10 coupons tonight, learned that only 5 can be used per day across 5 transactions that are >$10. So the max cash back opportunity per day until the 12/17 expiration date is $50.

glocklt4 Dec 3, 2014 10:01 pm

Wow... awesome deal!

fti Dec 3, 2014 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by tilleyd (Post 23939429)
Tried using the $10 coupons tonight, learned that only 5 can be used per day across 5 transactions that are >$10. So the max cash back opportunity per day until the 12/17 expiration date is $50.

How can they limit it as such? Each $500 gift card gives $50 in grocery coupons. They certainly can't say they will only accept $50/day total in such coupons from all customers combined :eek:. My guess is perhaps 5 transactions per customer per visit.

tilleyd Dec 3, 2014 10:36 pm

Yeah, some of these undocumented limits make you wonder.

teddy25 Dec 3, 2014 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 23939534)
How can they limit it as such? Each $500 gift card gives $50 in grocery coupons. They certainly can't say they will only accept $50/day total in such coupons from all customers combined :eek:. My guess is perhaps 5 transactions per customer per visit.

The T&C states "$10 coupon per giftcard purchase of $100 OR more". So a $500 card should only net a single $10 coupon.

Every other promo at cub has always been $25 and $50 Visa cards only. The coupon never printed out on the variable cards until late of last Sunday. It is a system glitch. There are way to many peoples calling the store about the "deal". They are catching on, a lot more stores require separate transactions now. There are no stated limits on number of transactions. I did couple of $80 trans tonight.

Also, the prior promos, you were able use the self checkout lanes without issues. I assume due to some abuse, the coupon now requires a override by an employee only.

I know someone who bought 25k when there were giving out $20 per $100 before Sunday.

What do you think is the odds we lose this ms ave by January?

tilleyd Dec 3, 2014 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25 (Post 23939600)
The T&C states "$10 coupon per giftcard purchase of $100 OR more". So a $500 card should only net a single $10 coupon.

Every other promo at cub has always been $25 and $50 Visa cards only. The coupon never printed out on the variable cards until late of last Sunday. It is a system glitch. There are way to many peoples calling the store about the "deal". They are catching on, a lot more stores require separate transactions now. There are no stated limits on number of transactions. I did couple of $80 trans tonight.

Also, the prior promos, you were able use the self checkout lanes without issues. I assume due to some abuse, the coupon now requires a override by an employee only.

I know someone who bought 25k when there were giving out $20 per $100 before Sunday.

What do you think is the odds we lose this ms ave by January?

Well, all my coupons are expiring 12/17 so the deal has to die before January :) Yes, I was't able to use my coupons in the self-checkout line. A clerk needed to keep overriding each coupon use. She then verified with her shift leader that each day the max coupons that could be redeemed were 5.

teddy25 Dec 3, 2014 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by tilleyd (Post 23939653)
Well, all my coupons are expiring 12/17 so the deal has to die before January :) Yes, I was't able to use my coupons in the self-checkout line. A clerk needed to keep overriding each coupon use. She then verified with her shift leader that each day the max coupons that could be redeemed were 5.

When I said "deal" I mean ms at cub. The ms opportunity is much more valuable to me than the $1,000 of free crap I bought just in the last few days.

The $10 giftcard deal comes and goes.the $20 expires on the 9th, the $10 all expires on the 17th. The expiration is always 7 days after the promo's end date.

Try a different store, don't tell me you are the one who called the maple grove store.