Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

To all the newbies... How did you stumble upon this MS Forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

As I see newbies start thread after thread begging to be spoon fed or thinking they have some clever idea they never thought of, or they apply for credit cards without rhyme or reason, I wonder how on earth did you make it here?

I'm not looking for answers from seasoned posters complaining that Darius from MMS sent them here. I'm specifically asking if anyone remembers when they were new here, why did you join? Did a friend refer you? Did you see reference of this forum from another site. If your new most likely not since most don't have a clue what they are doing.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Ohhh boy
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:44 pm

OP how about you do the start ? :P
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolblues
OP how about you do the start ? :P
I think my friend referred me to thepointsguy and I found reference to flyertalk on there. Not the forums just flyertalk. I found the forum by going through each one by one. I had a friend that has already played many of these games and I had a lot of time on my hands so I just read and read. I found google things I found in these forums to find more information if the answers weren't here.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
As I see newbies start thread after thread begging to be spoon fed or thinking they have some clever idea they never thought of, or they apply for credit cards without rhyme or reason, I wonder how on earth did you make it here?

I'm not looking for answers from seasoned posters complaining that Darius from MMS sent them here. I'm specifically asking if anyone remembers when they were new here, why did you join? Did a friend refer you? Did you see reference of this forum from another site. If your new most likely not since most don't have a clue what they are doing.
I started traveling a lot for work about 10 years ago. I think I found this forum when I was googling how to redeem the miles I had. I was a long time lurker before I signed up.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:19 pm

I found a link from thepointsguy and a few other travel forums to FT. That's how I was introduced. What I like about this forum is the high-level of activity/interest. I've known about FT for a long-time as I was trying to get better bidding ideas for Priceline. Only recently did I discovered the concept of MS here.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:32 pm

I've got no beef with "circles and arrows". I became interested in miles and points after stumbling upon MMS and linking to FT a few years ago. Mainly lurking, I haven't posted anything of value as I have yet to come across something to add. I've talked to my brother recently about MS and found he was doing the mint right before it was shut down and kept it to himself!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:38 pm

Post in slickdeals. Found the deal for 70k signing bonus on the chase ink card. Got the card... wanted to quickly meet my minimum spend, so googled around for sites that could give me ideas. Came up on a number of points blogs, which linked directly to flyertalk MS threads.

I'm new, but I am passionate about travel, have good credit, and am game to ramp this thing up.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:41 pm

While reading View from the Wing I noticed references to FlyerTalk. I wandered over here now and again, but I couldn't understand most of the posts. What I did understand was that they didn't suffer fools, so I just lurked. Also, I was pretty content with CC sign-up bonuses and didn't feel the need to expand.

At some point, I thought that maybe I should get serious about this endeavor and started reading everything I could. Once I learned the lingo and felt somewhat competent, I signed up here.

In my opinion, newbies get a bad rap because the ones who are serious about learning the trade - either lurk, or answer their own questions by research. The other newbies - who think the pot of gold can and should be theirs - act like a spoiled child riding a bull through a china shop.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Bloggers mention FT a lot so after I had done MS for a couple months thought it'd be nice to see what's going on here.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:23 pm

I suspect a lot of readers/posters on this subject started out as followers of the Miles Buzz thread that is prominently posted near the top of this page, and which used to contain a lot if posts about MS topics. Then, the MS posts were pulled out and relocated to this (new) board.

I suspect that I would never have found this board if it had always been separate from Miles Buzz, FWIW.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:51 pm

While I found out about MMS website, I discovered this forum. I also discovered expert MS like MM don't like newbies.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:57 pm

Not sure if I am a noob, but this is an interesting idea, so I will share my story.

I had cards like Chase Freedom, Discover It, etc. for a few years and always made sure to use the credit card that gave the most points. I was looking for a way to get cashback for paying my rent with a credit card (had to be 3% or more to make up for the fee that my apartment complex charges for paying rent with a credit card). I asked on a Credit Card Forum and one guy told me to buy VRs, load a BB, and then pay rent with that. I had no idea what that was, so I Googled it and ended up here.

The rest is history...and a lot of cash back and miles
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:27 pm

About a month ago, I saw this forum linked on a thread discussing credit cards on a certain personal finance forum that I frequent. I also read an article on the Mr. Money Mustache blog about credit card churning. My immediate thought was, "Holy sh!t guys, I think I found a new hobby."

Since then I've been lurking and obsessively reading as much as I could on this forum. I also occasionally look at the blogs, but they contain a lot of outdated information. I was originally going to keep reading a few more months, but I got some credit card offers in the mail and online that convinced me to get started. I'm going to have a lot of fun with this.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: free agent
TPG mention Staples vgc for 5x, then rest is history (late bloomer.... still kicking myself over missed opporunities for years, but better than nothing)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.