Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Analysis: 1.5% CB on non-CC items with Ink Plus

Analysis: 1.5% CB on non-CC items with Ink Plus

Old Nov 23, 14, 7:14 am
  #61  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by FranscescaJenica View Post
y'all, i'm not sure what was wrong about the OP approach??? now after achieving initial sign-on bonus what should the ongoing gc/bb strategy be; is it best to just purchase gc to just cover non-cc expenses?

y'all evolve won't work for my mortgage cuz its 1400.
Did you not ready the thread?? OP is doing a lot of extra work for nothing.

Instead of GC -> BB -> Check -> Mortgage (and then separately pay the CC using bank account).

Do this:

GC -> BB -> Pay CC that bought the GC (rinse and repeat as many times as possible)

then I added:

GC -> Evolve -> (partial) pay mortgage

So in your case, Pay $1000 of mortgage using Evolve, and rest using bank account. You get 12,000 points per year EXTRA that you didn't have before. You may have to call your bank to reconcile the two separate payments but isn't the points worth a single phone call every month?
FormallyKnownAs is offline  
Old Nov 23, 14, 8:12 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 126
As a relative newbie, I thought the same way originally as OP - pay bills with CC that you usually can't pay. Then once I started in on the game of MS, it was clear there was much more to be had. Sometimes that original concept is needed to get the hang of things. Much better for a newbie to start as OP has, than post on FT something like "I just bought 10K of GC, what do I do now?"
JoJo12 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 14, 10:39 pm
  #63  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by JoJo12 View Post
As a relative newbie, I thought the same way originally as OP - pay bills with CC that you usually can't pay. Then once I started in on the game of MS, it was clear there was much more to be had. Sometimes that original concept is needed to get the hang of things. Much better for a newbie to start as OP has, than post on FT something like "I just bought 10K of GC, what do I do now?"
JoJo12,
Spoken with class, empathy, and kindness. It's people like you that make the world a better place. After my original post, it was sad to see many respondents replying in a jeering/mocking/negative tone. They're forgetting that they too were once newbies. Again, I appreciate your vote of confidence. Thanks much!
tilleyd is offline  
Old Nov 24, 14, 11:27 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by tilleyd View Post
JoJo12,
Spoken with class, empathy, and kindness. It's people like you that make the world a better place. After my original post, it was sad to see many respondents replying in a jeering/mocking/negative tone. They're forgetting that they too were once newbies. Again, I appreciate your vote of confidence. Thanks much!
tilleyd, i agree with you--many of these posters are sarcastic, crass, and insensitive. As a relative newcomer myself, i felt the same way reading through these forums; the mean ones presuppose we're lazy and want to be spoonfed; so not true; glad you shared and hope the oldies show some friendliness, patience and grace!
FranscescaJenica is offline  
Old Nov 24, 14, 12:16 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CLT
Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 2,072
Originally Posted by FranscescaJenica View Post
tilleyd, i agree with you--many of these posters are sarcastic, crass, and insensitive. As a relative newcomer myself, i felt the same way reading through these forums; the mean ones presuppose we're lazy and want to be spoonfed; so not true; glad you shared and hope the oldies show some friendliness, patience and grace!
To tilleyd and FranscescnaJenica, part of the reason the OP was greeted with "sarcastic, crass, and insensitive" replies is the way it was posted. We have a thread for newbie questions, and that's where this should have gone. New threads are supposed to be for new information that doesn't fit into an existing thread. Additionally, for a new thread with "Analysis" in the name, the OP was short on analytical thought, which is what we pointed out.
dukerau is offline  
Old Nov 24, 14, 12:40 pm
  #66  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,333
Originally Posted by dukerau View Post
To tilleyd and FranscescnaJenica, part of the reason the OP was greeted with "sarcastic, crass, and insensitive" replies is the way it was posted. We have a thread for newbie questions, and that's where this should have gone. New threads are supposed to be for new information that doesn't fit into an existing thread. Additionally, for a new thread with "Analysis" in the name, the OP was short on analytical thought, which is what we pointed out.
+1000000
ericdabbs is offline  
Old Nov 24, 14, 6:03 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by FranscescaJenica View Post
tilleyd, i agree with you--many of these posters are sarcastic, crass, and insensitive. As a relative newcomer myself, i felt the same way reading through these forums; the mean ones presuppose we're lazy and want to be spoonfed; so not true; glad you shared and hope the oldies show some friendliness, patience and grace!
Originally Posted by FranscescaJenica View Post
hi y'all, this was a very fun thread to read!!! probably one of my favorites

question -- why is using bluebird to pay off the card easier/more recommended than using bluebird to pay bills? i'm confused about that part.
How is this not asking to be spoonfed? You're on a forum where people are offering valuable information for free. If you don't like the attitude, don't come here. Personally, I don't care about the attitude; if I say something stupid, I deserve it. However, if it helps me to gain some valuable insight into MS, its worth a little grief. No reply or just a simple thanks is more appropriate.
FormallyKnownAs is offline  
Old Nov 25, 14, 9:43 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 9
Wink

Originally Posted by FormallyKnownAs View Post
How is this not asking to be spoonfed? You're on a forum where people are offering valuable information for free. If you don't like the attitude, don't come here. Personally, I don't care about the attitude; if I say something stupid, I deserve it. However, if it helps me to gain some valuable insight into MS, its worth a little grief. No reply or just a simple thanks is more appropriate.
formallyknownas, i ask questions when I can't find answers after reading wikis or reading y'alls comments; has nothing to do with wanting to be spoonfed; when y'all expend effort fussin' or complainin' about the style/method/manner of posts -- it detracts from the substance and value of this forum; so stop it and focus on helping; all of us should help each other and focus in on MS, leaving all the personality behind; i know i'm violating this rule by responding to you right now, but may that be the last!!!
FranscescaJenica is offline  
Old Nov 25, 14, 10:03 am
  #69  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 49
Team, I'm pleased to report that I successfully transferred all 100,000 points to Southwest Rapid Rewards yesterday. I did some math and that is equivalent to 5 round-trip tickets!!! Thank you so much for all your tips. I'm extremely grateful. Now if I can only figure out my on-going MS maintenance strategy....
tilleyd is offline  
Old Nov 25, 14, 10:24 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach
Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,171
Originally Posted by tilleyd View Post
Team, I'm pleased to report that I successfully transferred all 100,000 points to Southwest Rapid Rewards yesterday. I did some math and that is equivalent to 5 round-trip tickets!!! Thank you so much for all your tips. I'm extremely grateful. Now if I can only figure out my on-going MS maintenance strategy....
Great Job
particlemn is offline  
Old Nov 25, 14, 11:31 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Posts: 1,856
Originally Posted by darkeststar View Post
I have an Aldi cobranded Discover card that gives 7.5% cash back at Aldi grocery stores on weekends and 3.25% during the week. I usually try to buy my groceries on the weekends, of course! . The Aldi I shop at let's me buy vanilla reloads with my discover card, but when I asked the fat manager how to load them to my bluebird, she got this really scared look. When I showed her the million mile secrets blog on my iPad, she threw me out of the store. A bunch of blogs were pimping this card pretty hard a few months ago.
unbelievable.
ORD-TGU is offline  
Old Nov 26, 14, 4:00 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: PHL ILG
Posts: 87
Originally Posted by tilleyd View Post
Team, I'm pleased to report that I successfully transferred all 100,000 points to Southwest Rapid Rewards yesterday. I did some math and that is equivalent to 5 round-trip tickets!!! Thank you so much for all your tips. I'm extremely grateful. Now if I can only figure out my on-going MS maintenance strategy....
Oh boy - you do realized 110k miles gets you a companion pass?? You could've gotten the 50k offers from SW (Chase), MSd the spend and earned those 100k points AND a companion pass. I'm guessing you xferd the lovely UR pts to SW - not the best strategy...
mandj is offline  
Old Nov 26, 14, 10:20 am
  #73  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by mandj View Post
Oh boy - you do realized 110k miles gets you a companion pass?? You could've gotten the 50k offers from SW (Chase), MSd the spend and earned those 100k points AND a companion pass. I'm guessing you xferd the lovely UR pts to SW - not the best strategy...
Wrong, Chase Ultimate Rewards point transfers do not count towards the Southwest Companion Pass 110,000-point qualification threshold, so what you earn on your Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, Ink Bold and Ink Plus cards is pretty much redeemable only for travel when it comes to transferring them to Southwest.

Source: The Points Guy
tilleyd is offline  
Old Nov 26, 14, 10:32 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Beach
Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,171
Originally Posted by tilleyd View Post
Wrong, Chase Ultimate Rewards point transfers do not count towards the Southwest Companion Pass 110,000-point qualification threshold, so what you earn on your Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, Ink Bold and Ink Plus cards is pretty much redeemable only for travel when it comes to transferring them to Southwest.

Source: The Points Guy
I think you mis-read the post you quoted. there was no mention of transferred points counting toward a companion pass. what was pointed out was that it might have been better to get the chase southwest card for 50k and manufacturer 60k on it to get 110 and a companion pass, then to get the ink card for 70 and manufacturer 30 on it and get 100k southwest points with no chance at a companion pass. this is because your 110k sw points can count double with a companion pass
particlemn is offline  
Old Nov 26, 14, 11:08 am
  #75  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by particlemn View Post
I think you mis-read the post you quoted. there was no mention of transferred points counting toward a companion pass. what was pointed out was that it might have been better to get the chase southwest card for 50k and manufacturer 60k on it to get 110 and a companion pass, then to get the ink card for 70 and manufacturer 30 on it and get 100k southwest points with no chance at a companion pass. this is because your 110k sw points can count double with a companion pass
Particlemn, thanks for the clarification, very helpful. ^ Nothing precludes me from applying for the Chase Southwest and manufacturing 60K on it, so I still have a shot! I know I've had a Chase southwest card in the past. I just don't remember which one it was Maybe I'll call Chase and see if they'll be kind enough to tell me which products I had with them in the past. No sense in getting approved for one I already had in the past, as the rewards/promo offers wouldn't apply again.
tilleyd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: