FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Analysis: 1.5% CB on non-CC items with Ink Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1630309-analysis-1-5-cb-non-cc-items-ink-plus.html)

FormallyKnownAs Nov 23, 2014 7:14 am

Originally Posted by FranscescaJenica (Post 23883844)
y'all, i'm not sure what was wrong about the OP approach??? now after achieving initial sign-on bonus what should the ongoing gc/bb strategy be; is it best to just purchase gc to just cover non-cc expenses?

y'all evolve won't work for my mortgage cuz its 1400.

Did you not ready the thread?? OP is doing a lot of extra work for nothing.

Instead of GC -> BB -> Check -> Mortgage (and then separately pay the CC using bank account).

Do this:

GC -> BB -> Pay CC that bought the GC (rinse and repeat as many times as possible)

then I added:

GC -> Evolve -> (partial) pay mortgage

So in your case, Pay $1000 of mortgage using Evolve, and rest using bank account. You get 12,000 points per year EXTRA that you didn't have before. You may have to call your bank to reconcile the two separate payments but isn't the points worth a single phone call every month?

JoJo12 Nov 23, 2014 8:12 pm

As a relative newbie, I thought the same way originally as OP - pay bills with CC that you usually can't pay. Then once I started in on the game of MS, it was clear there was much more to be had. Sometimes that original concept is needed to get the hang of things. Much better for a newbie to start as OP has, than post on FT something like "I just bought 10K of GC, what do I do now?"

tilleyd Nov 23, 2014 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by JoJo12 (Post 23887538)
As a relative newbie, I thought the same way originally as OP - pay bills with CC that you usually can't pay. Then once I started in on the game of MS, it was clear there was much more to be had. Sometimes that original concept is needed to get the hang of things. Much better for a newbie to start as OP has, than post on FT something like "I just bought 10K of GC, what do I do now?"

JoJo12,
Spoken with class, empathy, and kindness. It's people like you that make the world a better place. After my original post, it was sad to see many respondents replying in a jeering/mocking/negative tone. They're forgetting that they too were once newbies. Again, I appreciate your vote of confidence. Thanks much!

FranscescaJenica Nov 24, 2014 11:27 am

Originally Posted by tilleyd (Post 23887921)
JoJo12,
Spoken with class, empathy, and kindness. It's people like you that make the world a better place. After my original post, it was sad to see many respondents replying in a jeering/mocking/negative tone. They're forgetting that they too were once newbies. Again, I appreciate your vote of confidence. Thanks much!

tilleyd, i agree with you--many of these posters are sarcastic, crass, and insensitive. As a relative newcomer myself, i felt the same way reading through these forums; the mean ones presuppose we're lazy and want to be spoonfed; so not true; glad you shared and hope the oldies show some friendliness, patience and grace!

dukerau Nov 24, 2014 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by FranscescaJenica (Post 23890404)
tilleyd, i agree with you--many of these posters are sarcastic, crass, and insensitive. As a relative newcomer myself, i felt the same way reading through these forums; the mean ones presuppose we're lazy and want to be spoonfed; so not true; glad you shared and hope the oldies show some friendliness, patience and grace!

To tilleyd and FranscescnaJenica, part of the reason the OP was greeted with "sarcastic, crass, and insensitive" replies is the way it was posted. We have a thread for newbie questions, and that's where this should have gone. New threads are supposed to be for new information that doesn't fit into an existing thread. Additionally, for a new thread with "Analysis" in the name, the OP was short on analytical thought, which is what we pointed out.

ericdabbs Nov 24, 2014 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by dukerau (Post 23890723)
To tilleyd and FranscescnaJenica, part of the reason the OP was greeted with "sarcastic, crass, and insensitive" replies is the way it was posted. We have a thread for newbie questions, and that's where this should have gone. New threads are supposed to be for new information that doesn't fit into an existing thread. Additionally, for a new thread with "Analysis" in the name, the OP was short on analytical thought, which is what we pointed out.

+1000000

FormallyKnownAs Nov 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by FranscescaJenica (Post 23890404)

Originally Posted by FranscescaJenica (Post 23876696)
hi y'all, this was a very fun thread to read!!! probably one of my favorites :D

question -- why is using bluebird to pay off the card easier/more recommended than using bluebird to pay bills? i'm confused about that part.

How is this not asking to be spoonfed? You're on a forum where people are offering valuable information for free. If you don't like the attitude, don't come here. Personally, I don't care about the attitude; if I say something stupid, I deserve it. However, if it helps me to gain some valuable insight into MS, its worth a little grief. No reply or just a simple thanks is more appropriate.

FranscescaJenica Nov 25, 2014 9:43 am

Originally Posted by FormallyKnownAs (Post 23892525)
How is this not asking to be spoonfed? You're on a forum where people are offering valuable information for free. If you don't like the attitude, don't come here. Personally, I don't care about the attitude; if I say something stupid, I deserve it. However, if it helps me to gain some valuable insight into MS, its worth a little grief. No reply or just a simple thanks is more appropriate.

formallyknownas, i ask questions when I can't find answers after reading wikis or reading y'alls comments; has nothing to do with wanting to be spoonfed; when y'all expend effort fussin' or complainin' about the style/method/manner of posts -- it detracts from the substance and value of this forum; so stop it and focus on helping; all of us should help each other and focus in on MS, leaving all the personality behind; i know i'm violating this rule by responding to you right now, but may that be the last!!! :eek:

tilleyd Nov 25, 2014 10:03 am

Team, I'm pleased to report that I successfully transferred all 100,000 points to Southwest Rapid Rewards yesterday. I did some math and that is equivalent to 5 round-trip tickets!!! Thank you so much for all your tips. I'm extremely grateful. Now if I can only figure out my on-going MS maintenance strategy....

particlemn Nov 25, 2014 10:24 am

Originally Posted by tilleyd (Post 23895796)
Team, I'm pleased to report that I successfully transferred all 100,000 points to Southwest Rapid Rewards yesterday. I did some math and that is equivalent to 5 round-trip tickets!!! Thank you so much for all your tips. I'm extremely grateful. Now if I can only figure out my on-going MS maintenance strategy....

Great Job

ORD-TGU Nov 25, 2014 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by darkeststar (Post 23880763)
I have an Aldi cobranded Discover card that gives 7.5% cash back at Aldi grocery stores on weekends and 3.25% during the week. I usually try to buy my groceries on the weekends, of course! ;). The Aldi I shop at let's me buy vanilla reloads with my discover card, but when I asked the fat manager how to load them to my bluebird, she got this really scared look. When I showed her the million mile secrets blog on my iPad, she threw me out of the store. A bunch of blogs were pimping this card pretty hard a few months ago.

unbelievable.

mandj Nov 26, 2014 4:00 am

Originally Posted by tilleyd (Post 23895796)

Oh boy - you do realized 110k miles gets you a companion pass?? You could've gotten the 50k offers from SW (Chase), MSd the spend and earned those 100k points AND a companion pass. I'm guessing you xferd the lovely UR pts to SW - not the best strategy...

tilleyd Nov 26, 2014 10:20 am

Originally Posted by mandj (Post 23899955)
Oh boy - you do realized 110k miles gets you a companion pass?? You could've gotten the 50k offers from SW (Chase), MSd the spend and earned those 100k points AND a companion pass. I'm guessing you xferd the lovely UR pts to SW - not the best strategy...

Wrong, Chase Ultimate Rewards point transfers do not count towards the Southwest Companion Pass 110,000-point qualification threshold, so what you earn on your Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, Ink Bold and Ink Plus cards is pretty much redeemable only for travel when it comes to transferring them to Southwest.

Source: The Points Guy

particlemn Nov 26, 2014 10:32 am

Originally Posted by tilleyd (Post 23901485)
Wrong, Chase Ultimate Rewards point transfers do not count towards the Southwest Companion Pass 110,000-point qualification threshold, so what you earn on your Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, Ink Bold and Ink Plus cards is pretty much redeemable only for travel when it comes to transferring them to Southwest.

Source: The Points Guy

I think you mis-read the post you quoted. there was no mention of transferred points counting toward a companion pass. what was pointed out was that it might have been better to get the chase southwest card for 50k and manufacturer 60k on it to get 110 and a companion pass, then to get the ink card for 70 and manufacturer 30 on it and get 100k southwest points with no chance at a companion pass. this is because your 110k sw points can count double with a companion pass

tilleyd Nov 26, 2014 11:08 am

Originally Posted by particlemn (Post 23901557)
I think you mis-read the post you quoted. there was no mention of transferred points counting toward a companion pass. what was pointed out was that it might have been better to get the chase southwest card for 50k and manufacturer 60k on it to get 110 and a companion pass, then to get the ink card for 70 and manufacturer 30 on it and get 100k southwest points with no chance at a companion pass. this is because your 110k sw points can count double with a companion pass

Particlemn, thanks for the clarification, very helpful. ^ Nothing precludes me from applying for the Chase Southwest and manufacturing 60K on it, so I still have a shot! I know I've had a Chase southwest card in the past. I just don't remember which one it was :p Maybe I'll call Chase and see if they'll be kind enough to tell me which products I had with them in the past. No sense in getting approved for one I already had in the past, as the rewards/promo offers wouldn't apply again.