Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Analysis: 1.5% CB on non-CC items with Ink Plus

Analysis: 1.5% CB on non-CC items with Ink Plus

Old Nov 21, 14, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky View Post
My favorite part was the not understanding that using bb to pay bills and your bank to pay the cc is the same thing as using bb to pay the cc and using the bank to pay the bills....
Lulz....yes that was pretty funny. Sorry guys I just couldn't help myself in trying to help the OP. Funniest part was when the OP was trying to lecture me in post #30 as I was the odd person not understanding how this all works.

Last edited by ericdabbs; Nov 21, 14 at 9:18 am
Old Nov 21, 14, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by FranscescaJenica View Post
hi y'all, this was a very fun thread to read!!! probably one of my favorites

question -- why is using bluebird to pay off the card easier/more recommended than using bluebird to pay bills? i'm confused about that part.

do tell!!! you guys rock!
A new contender enters the ring!!
Old Nov 21, 14, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by FranscescaJenica View Post
hi y'all, this was a very fun thread to read!!! probably one of my favorites

question -- why is using bluebird to pay off the card easier/more recommended than using bluebird to pay bills? i'm confused about that part.

do tell!!! you guys rock!
I feel like this is a troll account. For some reason.
Old Nov 21, 14, 12:49 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by tilleyd View Post
ericdabbs, I believe you are missing our point. Let me give you the scenario:

1. Buy $1448.65 in VGC (7-$206.95 VGC cards) from OSS using Ink Plus
2. Load $1448.65 to BB
3. Use BB BP to pay $1448.65 mortgage
4. Use checking account to pay off Ink Plus $1448.65 statement

So in the final assessment of the above scenario Either $23.78 ($72.43 cash back - $48.65 card fees) B-$49 fees - 1.5%) or 7,243 Ultimate Reward Points (1448.65*5) can be earned. Based upon others' feedback, saving the points and transferring to an airline partner is the preferred route.

The alternate scenario (paying your mortgage directly from your bank) would NOT have earned any cash back.
How are you able to load the fees to BB too? They only let me load the value of the GC I buy...
Old Nov 21, 14, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dad to GO View Post
How are you able to load the fees to BB too? They only let me load the value of the GC I buy...
Good catch, oooops! You're correct. I've edited my post to reflect the fee-less load.
Old Nov 21, 14, 3:00 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Originally Posted by silver6054 View Post
The sum of those bills and the credit card bill is constant.
Although sometimes it seems like the math is wrong all the way...
But somehow it all comes together a couple days later - or not
Old Nov 21, 14, 3:06 pm

I booked a business class round trip to Europe from LAX next year for 140,000 points. I looked up the same trip and it was retailed at $9,500 !
Old Nov 22, 14, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by tilleyd View Post
Now what cards offer 5% at drug/grocery stores? Not aware of any.
I have an Aldi cobranded Discover card that gives 7.5% cash back at Aldi grocery stores on weekends and 3.25% during the week. I usually try to buy my groceries on the weekends, of course! . The Aldi I shop at let's me buy vanilla reloads with my discover card, but when I asked the fat manager how to load them to my bluebird, she got this really scared look. When I showed her the million mile secrets blog on my iPad, she threw me out of the store. A bunch of blogs were pimping this card pretty hard a few months ago.
Old Nov 22, 14, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by darkeststar View Post
I have an Aldi cobranded Discover card that gives 7.5% cash back at Aldi grocery stores on weekends and 3.25% during the week. I usually try to buy my groceries on the weekends, of course! . The Aldi I shop at let's me buy vanilla reloads with my discover card, but when I asked the fat manager how to load them to my bluebird, she got this really scared look. When I showed her the million mile secrets blog on my iPad, she threw me out of the store. A bunch of blogs were pimping this card pretty hard a few months ago.
Your fault for taking a fancy iPad to Aldi. Should have used a low-cost Android tablet.
Old Nov 22, 14, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by silver6054 View Post
Your fault for taking a fancy iPad to Aldi. Should have used a low-cost Android tablet.
Might not be a bad idea. Do you know if there are any credit cards that have nice spending bonuses for office supply stores?
Old Nov 22, 14, 1:09 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Originally Posted by darkeststar View Post
I have an Aldi cobranded Discover card that gives 7.5% cash back at Aldi grocery stores
Old Nov 22, 14, 1:29 pm

@darkeststar
Why would you be showing the manager how your gaming their card?
Old Nov 22, 14, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by kenshotx View Post
@darkeststar
Why would you be showing the manager how your gaming their card?
Because some people are easily confused
Old Nov 22, 14, 1:57 pm

BTW- OP had right idea, wrong approach. Just do GC/BB combo and separately use Evolve/DC to pay mortgage (or at least partial payment). Why? You're maximizing total MS opportunities.
Old Nov 22, 14, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by FormallyKnownAs View Post
BTW- OP had right idea, wrong approach. Just do GC/BB combo and separately use Evolve/DC to pay mortgage (or at least partial payment). Why? You're maximizing total MS opportunities.
y'all, i'm not sure what was wrong about the OP approach??? now after achieving initial sign-on bonus what should the ongoing gc/bb strategy be; is it best to just purchase gc to just cover non-cc expenses?

y'all evolve won't work for my mortgage cuz its 1400.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: