Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MS in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Hyatt, Hilton
So when traveling around Europe, the consensus is always carry cash? You guys are living in the stone age In the US, even parking meters and taxis take cc

I
How do you guys book hotels?
Use ÜBER?
Put security deposits on rentals?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by 46sky
So when traveling around Europe, the consensus is always carry cash? You guys are living in the stone age In the US, even parking meters and taxis take cc
t
I
Use ÜBER?
I think at Frankfurt Airport u slide your card to unlock and pull the luggage cart!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Please don't be an ***..... CC acceptance in Europe for travel related things is just fine. And for the smaller stuff there are more efficient / less expensive payment systems in place than cc's.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:28 am

We all have a CC, my dog has his CC to buy a burrito, banks give loan to buy a home that one cannot afford! President gives $700 B 'TARP' to pay executive bonuses. CCs hangs on every tree in USA. What a wonderful world!
Then we preach austerity in Europe!
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:57 pm

Would be nice to know if there's a way to MS in Italy...but I'm guessing every European country has its own different laws/ways regarding credit cards.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: Several dozen
Over in the eternal city, the Trevi Fountain takes in up to 3,000 Euros a night. The fountain is swept daily with all the money donated to Caritas, an Italian charity. You could work the crowd there and collect their coins on the promise that you would charge their donation on your credit card.

Originally Posted by wildchartermage
Would be nice to know if there's a way to MS in Italy...but I'm guessing every European country has its own different laws/ways regarding credit cards.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Over in the eternal city, the Trevi Fountain takes in up to 3,000 Euros a night. The fountain is swept daily with all the money donated to Caritas, an Italian charity. You could work the crowd there and collect their coins on the promise that you would charge their donation on your credit card.
LOL! I was just at the Fountain few weeks ago! Fortunately for those crowds, I won't scam them like that way. :P
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by amieuro
I'll explain in more detail at a later point. Msing method that I'm using involves being a customer with at least 1 bank and you must be living in Germany to take advantage of this.
any news on this?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:12 am

Anything new? There is one way of ms i know of in Germany to transfer about 1k € from CC per day without any fees (besides possible CC's anual fees of course). PM me when interested. But it won't last too long I guess.

I'd like to hear about any other ways. Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I got interested in whether MS was possible in mainland Europe at all. It seems that I was right in assuming that it's very difficult to do here, especially in Germany (and Holland being in many cases similar to Germany). However it would also be a whole new unexplored territory, unlike MS ing in the States.

I
Use ÜBER?
Sorry but this is just not a very smart comment on yur side.

- Most countries have systems with which you can pay Contact less with your debit card; amounts up to X euros go straight off your bank account by just swiping (or, some older systems, using the chip that's in your card). This is often used for parking meters, coffee machines etc.
- Taxis are cash only as far as I know. But the taxis are prohibitively expensive here anyway, I think maybe here in Holland you could pay with CC or just book and pay it beforehand. 99% of the population don't take cabs just off the street due to the enormous cost. In Eastern europe it's cash only.
- I think Uber is paid using the app right? If not, cash only.
- Rental cars are the one and only thing that a CC would be viable for. However I have rented cars without a CC: I just needed to pay the deposit with my debit card (couple 100 euro's ) and after retruning the car, in afew days I got the amount deposited back into my bank account.
- Hotels are booked online (there are online payment systems to directly transfer money from your bank account, but Paypal can also be used smoetimes, and of course the CC if you have one) or you would just pay with debit card at the counter, or cash for low-end hotels and hostels (the budget hostels I go to are all cash-only).
Old Aug 6, 2016, 6:53 pm

I am looking for a prepaid visa or Mastercard which I can load euros (online via credit card) onto it and use for spending in euros country. The key reason is that the euros is low now so want to load up euros on these prepaid card online.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
- Taxis are cash only as far as I know. But the taxis are prohibitively expensive here anyway, I think maybe here in Holland you could pay with CC or just book and pay it beforehand. 99% of the population don't take cabs just off the street due to the enormous cost. In Eastern europe it's cash only.
Speak for yourself. Here in Poland you can pay for cabs with credit card. Or is this central Europe?

In fact stores take cards for almost all amounts here. I frequently have stores ask me to pay with card rather than have to make change from the equivalent of a $10 bill.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:32 am
cjt

Originally Posted by amieuro
I'll explain in more detail at a later point. Msing method that I'm using involves being a customer with at least 1 bank and you must be living in Germany to take advantage of this.
Did you ever have any luck with this?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
If you have access to US military installations the AAFES has $500 VGCs and a US post office for MO's
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by DeaconY
If you have access to US military installations the AAFES has $500 VGCs and a US post office for MO's
Does it code as anything entertaining, and can non-military make purchases?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.