Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015)

Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Father-of-3
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on bestiality activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015)

Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
If you got your card ten years ago, there's a good chance it would now be considered a different product. However, I've read reports of folks holding other WM cards and approved for the 5X visa were then declared ineligible for the 5X benefit. I would really appreciate more input on the more general question. If someone is holding any WM credit card (e.g. Propel), will they still receive the 5X on this offer?
Yes I have Propel and the Cash back card - got/getting full rewards on both. Got the Propel in Aug 2014, received the promo credit, then applied for this card 2 months later, Oct 2014. Have had card a couple months and have received 5x on the eligible categories. I already credited some cash back to my account.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnChop
Yes I have Propel and the Cash back card - got/getting full rewards on both. Got the Propel in Aug 2014, received the promo credit, then applied for this card 2 months later, Oct 2014. Have had card a couple months and have received 5x on the eligible categories. I already credited some cash back to my account.
Thanks good news!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:56 pm

FYI, applied with no relation to WF. Pending - Denied due to no relationship. Opened checking account online, and called back. Next day was approved.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by fishll
FYI, applied with no relation to WF. Pending - Denied due to no relationship. Opened checking account online, and called back. Next day was approved.
what CL?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:58 pm

Does anyone have updates on this pending January 15th date? I opened a WF checking and set up my network of credit unions. I don't necessarily want to apply for this till after that's date >.<
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:43 pm

The terms have always stated that cash back is not available on gift cards. Not sure why this would be any different after the 15th?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:30 pm

I already have an older Wells Fargo credit card. Do you guys know if I can convert it to this card without the credit inquiry hit. I have a long-term relationship with Wells Fargo
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by MSerforfun
I already have an older Wells Fargo credit card. Do you guys know if I can convert it to this card without the credit inquiry hit. I have a long-term relationship with Wells Fargo
Signup offers are intended only for new accounts. Even if WF wanted to make an exception, they would mess it up anyways.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by ninetwosix
The terms have always stated that cash back is not available on gift cards. Not sure why this would be any different after the 15th?
Actually no they haven't
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
Actually no they haven't
Someone mentioned the would upload the new terms sent in the mail for us to all read, but I haven't seen anything yet. Does anyone have copy they'd like to share? Or is the online version updated yet?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:29 pm

The online PDF version is only available to those who have such account. I'll be happy to email a copy of published changes on request.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:20 am

Can we argue with Wells Fargo if some purchase at CVS and Stop&Shop didn't get 5X cash back? Two out of ten only got 1X cash back.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by heydude
Can we argue with Wells Fargo if some purchase at CVS and Stop&Shop didn't get 5X cash back? Two out of ten only got 1X cash back.
Maybe it's a knee-jerk reaction, but it feels rather foolish (to call WF about it). How sure are you that the 4x part is really missing (often times it's not next to the 1x part). Secondly, has there been enough time for it to actually appear in the 1st place? Thirdly, is it one CVS got bonus rewards and another one didn't OR is it that one transaction got the bonus rewards and another transaction at the same CVS didn't?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by rtraveler
Thanks for the info, the only place I can get MO's in my area are at Wally's so that's a no go for me.
I'm about to apply for this card, with an established but expendable WF relationship. I am curious as to why WM MOs are not an option.

Of course $2K/day x 25 d/month in VGCs ($50K spend with a cost of $595 in VGC fees, and 35.70 in MO fees, with net profit of $1869.30) will force you to liquidate >$10K/mo in MOs at your bank(s) and send red flags out. But apart from that, and the headache of visiting grocery stores and WM every day, what is the limitation of using WM for MOs?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:10 am

I will speak from experience that having payments post to this card is a major PITA. They gave me a measly $2k limit. (This is my first CC with WF and I have plenty of credit at other banks, so I don't know what the deal is with the low limit.) It takes almost 3-5 business days for credit to be available after the payments have been made. I have a WF checking account, but no WF branches within a relatively close drive. I pay from a BoA checking account usually. I even tried doing BP at Wally world... the funds posted two days ago on the account and the balance reflects the payments; however, the available credit is still $0.

This is the ONLY CC in my porftfolio that will decline a purchase with "over limit" error message. I have gone over my available limit with many cards, but this one does not allow it.

Originally Posted by weezl
I'm about to apply for this card, with an established but expendable WF relationship. I am curious as to why WM MOs are not an option.

Of course $2K/day x 25 d/month in VGCs ($50K spend with a cost of $595 in VGC fees, and 35.70 in MO fees, with net profit of $1869.30) will force you to liquidate >$10K/mo in MOs at your bank(s) and send red flags out. But apart from that, and the headache of visiting grocery stores and WM every day, what is the limitation of using WM for MOs?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.