Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015)

Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 10, 16, 6:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Father-of-3
Wiki Link
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on bestiality activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 15, 14, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by tuphat View Post
I've had this card for almost six months, coming to end of promo period. I've put through about $50k in purchases per month, on a $20k CL. My usual mode of payment has been through the WF site, pulling from my WF checking account, paying the current outstanding balance, although I have also BP from BB a few times.

I usually got a fraud alert if I spend more than $3k per day, which I tried to avoid. Pretty simple to clear, didn't have to deal with any humans along the way.
$50k/mo? That's a lot of gc purchases at the drugstore/grocery store. I can get $50k worth of GC's but not at the drugstore/grocery store. Did you do the cash back or points?
Old Nov 15, 14, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA, UR, WN, BA, CC, SPG
Change in 5x Terms--excludes "store gift cards"

Just got a notice and change in terms for the 5% Rewards Card. Now it says that excluded from 5x rewards at GGD stores are "store gift cards." Starting January 15, 2015. Not sure how they would enforce that necessarily unless they could know what exactly you were buying. Also, it seems like a vague term to say "store" gift cards. But just thought I would report this since I noticed it. My 6 months just ended but probably getting one for the wife.
Old Nov 15, 14, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota View Post
That answer is on the Wells Fargo website. It's quite clearly displayed on the card features
Would you look that up and get back to me prior to the end of the business day Monday with the answer? Thanks a bunch!
Old Nov 16, 14, 12:09 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Gustraveler View Post
Just got a notice and change in terms for the 5% Rewards Card. Now it says that excluded from 5x rewards at GGD stores are "store gift cards." Starting January 15, 2015. .
In what form did you get that notice? I just finished my first month and that would be a bummer. If so, I need to re-prioiritze my time for the next 2 months!
Old Nov 16, 14, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by rtraveler View Post
$50k/mo? That's a lot of gc purchases at the drugstore/grocery store. I can get $50k worth of GC's but not at the drugstore/grocery store. Did you do the cash back or points?
Not really. Even with new restrictions, pretty easy to spend $2000 per day, esp. if you hit different stores. For me, cash is king, I have enough points/miles.
Old Nov 16, 14, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by JoJo12 View Post
In what form did you get that notice? I just finished my first month and that would be a bummer. If so, I need to re-prioiritze my time for the next 2 months!
It was in a pamphlet included in statement mailing, along with other changes in terms. Time will tell if they can drill down into individual transactions at, say, CVS, and determine if GCs are being purchased. I'm betting they can't or won't.
Old Nov 16, 14, 3:29 pm

Not really. Even with new restrictions, pretty easy to spend $2000 per day, esp. if you hit different stores. For me, cash is king, I have enough points/miles.
On second thought, the CVS's have tons of OV's but since they are a headache to use at Walmart, I dont want to bother. The PP mycash cards are easy to liquidate but that's capped at $4k/mo and most CVS's and RA's are out of stock.

Are you using Wally to liquidate the OV's?
Old Nov 16, 14, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Gustraveler View Post
Just got a notice and change in terms for the 5% Rewards Card. Now it says that excluded from 5x rewards at GGD stores are "store gift cards." Starting January 15, 2015. .
Thanks Gustraveler. I just signed into my WF account and the notice was there, but it says NO rewards for cash equivalents such as "store gift cards". I will try one VGC at the grocery store after Jan 15 and see what happens when the next statement posts. From other threads it does look like they can see what you are buying, as if the amount doesn't speak for itself!

Is this a big enough deal that we should make ask the mod to change the title of this thread or create a new thread?
Old Nov 17, 14, 5:45 am

On second thought, the CVS's have tons of OV's but since they are a headache to use at Walmart, I dont want to bother. The PP mycash cards are easy to liquidate but that's capped at $4k/mo and most CVS's and RA's are out of stock.

Are you using Wally to liquidate the OV's?
No WMs in my immediate area, I usually buy MOs at grocery stores.
Old Nov 17, 14, 6:41 am

No WMs in my immediate area, I usually buy MOs at grocery stores.
Thanks for the info, the only place I can get MO's in my area are at Wally's so that's a no go for me.
Old Nov 17, 14, 9:35 am

Thanks for the info, the only place I can get MO's in my area are at Wally's so that's a no go for me.
Surprising that there's not at least one grocery store accepting debit for MOs in your area. Maybe purchase Meta VGCs, which will likely work at WM.
Old Nov 23, 14, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA, UR, WN, BA, CC, SPG
Originally Posted by JoJo12 View Post
Thanks Gustraveler. I just signed into my WF account and the notice was there, but it says NO rewards for cash equivalents such as "store gift cards". I will try one VGC at the grocery store after Jan 15 and see what happens when the next statement posts. From other threads it does look like they can see what you are buying, as if the amount doesn't speak for itself!

Is this a big enough deal that we should make ask the mod to change the title of this thread or create a new thread?
I think I've heard of similar language used by other CCs, but I would be shocked if WF could actually see that is what you were buying. Personally, I have not read of anyone getting rejected for points from something like that, but maybe it has happened. Unless you told them that's what you were buying, I don't think it will be an issue, but we'll find out I guess. And WF is somewhat incompetent anyways. I've dealt with them for the last 6 months. And my wife will be dealing with them for the next 6, sort of.
Old Dec 2, 14, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA,DL,SPG,Hyatt
i am wondering what's the best way to redeem these points
Old Dec 4, 14, 12:22 am

I got the bad news in the mail today, concerning the revised terms of the reward program. Besides the GC exclusion, it's full of other nasty surprises including account closure triggers, point forfeiture, and taxability of rewards. By the way, the online T&C version is still the old one dated 2013.
Old Dec 4, 14, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
I got the bad news in the mail today, concerning the revised terms of the reward program. Besides the GC exclusion, it's full of other nasty surprises including account closure triggers, point forfeiture, and taxability of rewards. By the way, the online T&C version is still the old one dated 2013.
I just got a new card in the mail yesterday and didn't see any of this. I'll look closer when I get home.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: