Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015)

Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 10, 16, 6:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Father-of-3
Wiki Link
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on bestiality activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 30, 14, 4:10 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by tuphat View Post
I've had this card for almost six months, coming to end of promo period. I've put through about $50k in purchases per month, on a $20k CL. My usual mode of payment has been through the WF site, pulling from my WF checking account, paying the current outstanding balance, although I have also BP from BB a few times.

I usually got a fraud alert if I spend more than $3k per day, which I tried to avoid. Pretty simple to clear, didn't have to deal with any humans along the way.
Great info
Old Oct 31, 14, 10:55 am

I've done my promo already. Don't cycle through CL more than 2x per week. They will call you if you and threaten to close if you do it more.
Old Nov 1, 14, 6:37 am
Original Poster

I'm pleased to report that I called Wells yesterday and had the fraud message successfully removed. Got questioned about 3 money order payments and a similar charge amount from Kroger with respect to the close time frequency. I did take the advice of one of the posters and made small talk with the rep to establish a rapport. Thanks to all on here who responded.
Old Nov 1, 14, 10:37 am

Does this card has advantages over AmEx blue cash (old) except the $6500 annual spend for MSing purpose?
Old Nov 1, 14, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
Does this card has advantages over AmEx blue cash (old) except the $6500 annual spend for MSing purpose?
Maybe the fact that it's currently available?
WF promo is 5% cash on gas/drug/grocery for 6 months. Cash is credited each month, a few days after stmt close. No spending/cash max or min.
Old Nov 1, 14, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Is there a geographical or existing banking relationship condition to get this card?
Old Nov 2, 14, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73 View Post
Is there a geographical or existing banking relationship condition to get this card?
A prior relationship isn't required per se, but your chances of approval without are dismal. Also, you can't apply online without existing relationship.
Old Nov 2, 14, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyCash View Post
A prior relationship isn't required per se, but your chances of approval without are dismal. Also, you can't apply online without existing relationship.
Just applied online last week and got a decline for no relationship. Called and was told they would reconsider if i got a checking account. Went to the bank yesterday and opened an account. They were very helpful and they said they would even talk to the CC department next week to help me get the card if necessary. He said it helps to fund the checking account with more thanthe minimum so it shows you are serious about establishing a relationship with the bank (i funded with 1.5K)

I went to the bank 15 minutes before the close which made the guy open the account very quickly without trying to sell me on other products. We'll see what happens with my cc app.
Old Nov 2, 14, 7:06 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Rooks View Post
I've done my promo already. Don't cycle through CL more than 2x per week. They will call you if you and threaten to close if you do it more.
When opening my card last month, I tried to increase my CL and two separate representatives told me it's not a problem to pay off several times a month if needed. I got their names so we'll see what they have to say to any threat.
Old Nov 2, 14, 7:12 pm
Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: Delta Silver. Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
To me, an advantage is that I have a lot less to lose getting banned by Wells Fargo (for perk abuse or whatever) than I would by Amex, because WF doesn't have any other products I want. Also, It could be an advantage to have a Visa instead of an Amex, depending on how/where you use it.
Old Nov 2, 14, 10:54 pm
Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: Delta Silver. Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by djbridge1974 View Post
I have the WF Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstore card and have run about 30K in VGC. I received a message on my login last night stating that the usage of the card was temporarily restricted and that I needed to call their 1-800 number. Wondering what the best plan of attack would be to work through the situation. Certainly don't want to admit the MS aspect of the card usage. Also, don't want to lose the points I've accumulated.
I just finished my six months. I got that note to call several times. Most of the time it was a fraud alert. One time it was so they could warn me that they were going to close my card if i keep "overpaying". They never grilled my about all of the charges at grocery and drug stores.
Old Nov 3, 14, 7:59 am

FWIW -- At some point during my 6-month intro I got a letter saying that my spending qualified me for an enhanced reward percentage after the promo period ended. Can't remember if it was 1.25% or 1.50%, either way not attractive enough to replace my every day spender (Fidelity Amex 2%).
Old Nov 4, 14, 2:58 am

Deleted

Last edited by mbaker4096; Nov 4, 14 at 2:13 pm
Old Nov 11, 14, 11:01 am

the first 6 months is for the whole life of the card, or first 6 months for every annual year?

Originally Posted by tuphat View Post
FWIW -- At some point during my 6-month intro I got a letter saying that my spending qualified me for an enhanced reward percentage after the promo period ended. Can't remember if it was 1.25% or 1.50%, either way not attractive enough to replace my every day spender (Fidelity Amex 2%).
Old Nov 11, 14, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by cashbacker View Post
the first 6 months is for the whole life of the card, or first 6 months for every annual year?
That answer is on the Wells Fargo website. It's quite clearly displayed on the card features

Search this Thread
Search Engine: