Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015)

Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Father-of-3
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on bestiality activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015)

Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by MG49
Just as a data point, I've had payments made directly from a RB account for over $4k with no hold. Posted 2 days after I requested it from the RB account. It's the same as others from my WF checking account, that posts same day.
RB? Regions Bank?

A customer service agent told me there is a way to enter large purchase pre-authorizations myself on the web site. Does anyone know where that is?

I did notice that my last pre-authorization seemed to be good for multiple purchases. So if you tell them you'll do $2000 at ABC company you can do it multiple times that day at least.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
RB? Regions Bank?.
RedBird. I did a bill pay from the Target RedCard account and it took two days to post and opened up the credit line that day.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
RedBird. I did a bill pay from the Target RedCard account and it took two days to post and opened up the credit line that day.
I'm still on BlueBird. Reports were that they get held.

Does RedBird have a 5k/month load limit?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
I'm still on BlueBird. Reports were that they get held.

Does RedBird have a 5k/month load limit?
Yes, 5k limit, but with no fees. I have a RB and a BB. I also have a few Targets nearby, which helps. I use the BB too since the 5% at grocery stores makes that worth it too. Also helps that I have a couple working Kate's nearby.

I haven't paid this card with BB yet, but I have paid a couple other cards with no hold. Every time has been the two days if it was an electronic payment.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
my data point on red bird payment to wells fargo credit card:
my 5k payment from redbird to wells fargo was posted on 3/21 and 5k credit line was released on 3/26 evening. another 2.5k payment from redbird was posted on 3/23, but the 2.5k credit line is still held as of today.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Air Berlin Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum
I was just approved for the card with a $5k credit limit. I'm planning on asking for a CLI as soon as I get the card but was wondering if I can transfer money from my WF checking to the card right after purchasing something. Like if I buy $2k worth of items and the charges are pending can I transfer $2k from checking directly to the card and it will free up the CL? Or do I have to wait until the transaction posts to transfer? Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by pointsaddict3326
I was just approved for the card with a $5k credit limit. I'm planning on asking for a CLI as soon as I get the card but was wondering if I can transfer money from my WF checking to the card right after purchasing something. Like if I buy $2k worth of items and the charges are pending can I transfer $2k from checking directly to the card and it will free up the CL? Or do I have to wait until the transaction posts to transfer? Thanks
Pretty sure you'll have to wait for the charge to actually post. It's kind of like a hotel putting a temporary hold on your credit card. It's pending but may not post. WF is going to need an actual charge to post to free up that CL.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:14 am

Question for those that have had this card for a few months. Are you taking a taking a statement credit every month for your points? If not, how high of a point balance are you holding? Also, is anybody using their points for anything other than a statement credit?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:18 am
Original Member

Question for those that have had this card for a few months. Are you taking a taking a statement credit every month for your points? If not, how high of a point balance are you holding? Also, is anybody using their points for anything other than a statement credit?
Yes. Statement credit or transfer to Wells Fargo Savings Account followed by a transfer to a different bank. Their new anti-MS terms and conditions has strong clawback language. No reports of that happening, but do not leave rewards out there to tempt them.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:10 pm

There is no reason to hold a point balance. You can set an automatic redemption option whereby it will drain your points and apply them automatically to your account of choice.

I say "drain," but it will take them down to in factors of $25, so you may end up with a balance, but you should never have to carry a balance of more than $24.99.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by ronnyk
There is no reason to hold a point balance. You can set an automatic redemption option whereby it will drain your points and apply them automatically to your account of choice.

I say "drain," but it will take them down to in factors of $25, so you may end up with a balance, but you should never have to carry a balance of more than $24.99.
The points are worth 1.5 cents for buying flights through their portal, so that might be one reason to hold onto a small stash.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
The points are worth 1.5 cents for buying flights through their portal, so that might be one reason to hold onto a small stash.
My goodness..I've been waiting for almost 2 weeks now and my payments still haven't posted. I made payments on the 20th and 23rd of March, but they haven't even added the payments to me account...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Have you redeemed points towards travel? If so, what does the receipt look like, does it show just points or does it show a paid $$ amount?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by TJtv
Have you redeemed points towards travel? If so, what does the receipt look like, does it show just points or does it show a paid $$ amount?
I haven't gone through with a reservation yet because I buy very few paid flights, but I tried a dummy booking. It's just like redeeming thankyou or chase UR points for flights. Same interface and probably same company that handles the booking.

It's 1.5 cents per point value and a $24 one-time booking fee. In the end I'm sure you'll get a reservation receipt that will also show up with your airline of choice.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Membersince2013
My goodness..I've been waiting for almost 2 weeks now and my payments still haven't posted. I made payments on the 20th and 23rd of March, but they haven't even added the payments to me account...
I am in the same freaking boat... paid on 19th, the 2G credit still pending. ...? I gave up and deposited a check to my saving account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.