Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Father-of-3
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on bestiality activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:40 pm

is any1 having issues getting the full 5% when using this to load the redcard?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by jsmithj88
I don't think you can use it at target to get 5%
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:07 am

No problem here with getting the 5% at Target. Just need to make sure your Target is coded as grocery for Visa.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by mrx900
I don't think you can use it at target to get 5%
I've used it at Target for 5%. Just need to make sure the Target is coded as grocery.

Easiest way is to test a small load.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Does anyone keep having their card declined ALL the time? As in every time you use it?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by Membersince2013
Does anyone keep having their card declined ALL the time? As in every time you use it?
Initially, yes (sort of)....but after a few calls telling them I was the one making ALL the charges, they stopped their annoying holds.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:30 pm

Just want to confirm, is this the same card as the WF Visa Rewards card that's listed on their site? I'm assuming yes, since this is the only card that has the 6 month clause.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:40 pm

Initially, yes (sort of)....but after a few calls telling them I was the one making ALL the charges, they stopped their annoying holds.
Thanks! I've called them about 6 times now but my card still kept getting declined. I finally spoke with a fraud prevention rep and she sorted things out.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:25 am

This card is simply annoying. I just keep getting declined unless the purchase is like...$12 or something..
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:18 am

I dont know how many times I had to call, but eventually it started taking my charges.

One time, I called in and sent a message that i was going to make a large purchase.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:59 pm

Wells Fargo - Home Rebate Card

I am starting to explore different MS techniques. I just received the Wells Fargo Home rebate card with a $5k limit and I'm wondering how to maximize my points during the 6 month trial. I already do the Target Redbird max at $5k, but I'm still trying to understand the Visa gift card redemption strategy. I honestly have spent a lot of time looking at this so I apologize for the dumb question.

My understanding is I should buy a $500 Visa Gift Card at a grocery or drug store and then use it at a Money Order Place (Payomatic) to buy money orders with the Pin (last 4) of the gift card. Then deposit the money order into my BOA checking account, move the money from that account to my Wells Fargo bank account to pay my credit card and restart my credit limit. Rinse and repeat up to around 2x CL to avoid any issues.

The question is, where can I find Visa Gift Cards at grocery and drug stores that are $500? I work in NYC, live in NJ and got denied for a $500 card at Food Emporium ($200 max) in NYC and my card was rejected at Duane Reade in NYC...fraud inquiry. Stop and shop only sells $200 GCs. Would it really be worth 5% towards my mortgage with the fees involved? Am I understanding this correctly or am I missing something.

Sorry for the "newbie" questions, but I'm just trying to get my head around the best strategy for a few thousand additional points over the next 6 months. Anything that will help pay down this mortgage faster...ugh.

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated. I definitely appreciate all the comments so far and I am learning a lot.

Last edited by TravelingVeggies; Feb 18, 2015 at 3:01 pm Reason: clarifying wells bank account
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by TravelingVeggies
I am starting to explore different MS techniques. I just received the Wells Fargo Home rebate card with a $5k limit and I'm wondering how to maximize my points during the 6 month trial. I already do the Target Redbird max at $5k, but I'm still trying to understand the Visa gift card redemption strategy. I honestly have spent a lot of time looking at this so I apologize for the dumb question.

My understanding is I should buy a $500 Visa Gift Card at a grocery or drug store and then use it at a Money Order Place (Payomatic) to buy money orders with the Pin (last 4) of the gift card. Then deposit the money order into my BOA checking account, move the money from that account to my Wells Fargo bank account to pay my credit card and restart my credit limit. Rinse and repeat up to around 2x CL to avoid any issues.

The question is, where can I find Visa Gift Cards at grocery and drug stores that are $500? I work in NYC, live in NJ and got denied for a $500 card at Food Emporium ($200 max) in NYC and my card was rejected at Duane Reade in NYC...fraud inquiry. Stop and shop only sells $200 GCs. Would it really be worth 5% towards my mortgage with the fees involved? Am I understanding this correctly or am I missing something.

Sorry for the "newbie" questions, but I'm just trying to get my head around the best strategy for a few thousand additional points over the next 6 months. Anything that will help pay down this mortgage faster...ugh.

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated. I definitely appreciate all the comments so far and I am learning a lot.
You're correct. The fees are roughly 1% ($4.95 or $5.95 per $500) and ~0.1% ($1 per $1K MO), making it cost roughly $11 per $1000 MSed. 5% gets you $50 for a net of $39. I rounded numbers for ease. That is assuming you can find VGCs you can buy with CCs and MOs you can buy with VGCs.

As for the FA on your account, you'll just need to call WF and clear the FA and try again. Seems like this card in particular is a bear about that, so you may have to do it multiple times before it learns.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:49 pm

Is there a disadvantage or risk to redeem the rewards back to the credit card account?

Thanks,
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:49 pm

Do you not have access to a CVS? It's much easier this way since they have a $2k cap per 24 hours. And yes, it's 24 hours right down to the minute. ISH. Or close enough.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC, One Pass, AA Advantage,Enrich, Miles & More, Flying Blue
They wont give you this card unless you have an account with them. Also, the longer the account is open, the bigger the CL on the card. I got a measely 4,000 CL and just couldn't do much with that, so I called about 2 weeks later, and asked for an increase....after a 10 min call, they up'd it to 8,000. I supposed I could've asked for more, but I didn't wanna push my luck. My friend did the same thing, and he flat out asked for 20,000, and they gave it to him.
Did they hit you/your friend with a new hard pull for the CLi?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.