FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Merchant Cost for Vanilla Reloads? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1620516-merchant-cost-vanilla-reloads.html)

Bikeguy Oct 14, 2014 10:02 am

Merchant Cost for Vanilla Reloads?

Just wondered if anyone knows actual merchant cost. Assume they are being purchased with an Amex....

rooney Oct 14, 2014 10:25 am

My assumption is that the merchant must make some money because they're always trying to sell GCs via promos...but what do I know.

Stoughton Oct 14, 2014 10:36 am

CVS loses money on $500 Vanilla GC's. This is directly from the Managers of 3 different stores.

oohaahouch Oct 14, 2014 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton (Post 23675495)
CVS loses money on $500 Vanilla GC's. This is directly from the Managers of 3 different stores.

Managers dont know [redacted]!

kenme1 Oct 14, 2014 11:36 am

Originally Posted by oohaahouch (Post 23675939)

^

Stoughton Oct 14, 2014 11:39 am

Originally Posted by oohaahouch (Post 23675939)

You couldn't be more wrong

prasha11 Oct 14, 2014 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Bikeguy (Post 23675298)
Just wondered if anyone knows actual merchant cost. Assume they are being purchased with an Amex....

Originally Posted by Stoughton (Post 23675495)

How does it matter to you? its always negotiated and kept secret.

oohaahouch Oct 14, 2014 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton (Post 23675980)
You couldn't be more wrong

i lol'ed

usalibido Oct 14, 2014 12:14 pm

A grocery store manager told me that AMEX charged them $19 to process a VR card (my guess is $500 load). They first stopped AMEX for VRs for a couple of weeks, and then CC completely.

CVS could get a lower fee but I doubt they really make money on this. Actually I tend to think they very well are losing money for MS purchases.

rooney Oct 14, 2014 12:38 pm

I don't buy it. They wouldn't sell something that loses them money because it's not enough of a traffic driver to do so. They constantly have gift card promotions for a reason. They're winning somehow.

I think retailers get the gift cards at a discount, say 5-10% off. And they probably get the purchase fee too.

The issuer/bank also makes money on each swipe with the gift card later, so Visa/MC/Amex will make money when you actually use the gift card via interchange fees. Ironically, the issuers should also make money if you purchase the GCs with a cc.

The store gift cards don't have any fees because they assume the cardholders won't use the full value or will spend more at the store than they normally would. So they can offer discounted cards to retailers on that basis.

Everyone is making money.

oohaahouch Oct 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by rooney (Post 23676352)
I don't buy it. They wouldn't sell something that loses them money because it's not enough of a traffic driver to do so. They constantly have gift card promotions for a reason. They're winning somehow.

I think retailers get the gift cards at a discount, say 5-10% off. And they probably get the purchase fee too.

The issuer/bank also makes money on each swipe with the gift card later, so Visa/MC/Amex will make money when you actually use the gift card via interchange fees. Ironically, the issuers should also make money if you purchase the GCs with a cc.

The store gift cards don't have any fees because they assume the cardholders won't use the full value or will spend more at the store than they normally would. So they can offer discounted cards to retailers on that basis.

You are close ^

vinhboy Oct 14, 2014 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by rooney (Post 23676352)

My guess.

- Stores get kickbacks from BlackHawk, Incomm, Greendot, etc... for selling GC. Most likely more than the transaction fee.

- Incomm, Blackhawk, Greendot make money on the swipe fees and balances that never gets redeemed.

- MSers = paraside for the prepaid networks because we don't swipe, or leave balances unclaimed (except for occasional guy who comes here frantic because he just threw his cards in the trash). But I am pretty sure the prepaid networks are still making money (from other users) despite our efforts. :cool:

There's an MBA sitting in a cubicle somewhere crunching all these numbers and he will decide our fate.

hamhead Oct 14, 2014 1:04 pm

Incoming rampant speculation and arguing that goes nowhere, because no one really knows.

Bikeguy Oct 15, 2014 11:23 am

Originally Posted by hamhead (Post 23676497)
Incoming rampant speculation and arguing that goes nowhere, because no one really knows.

Someone knows and I was hoping they'd post.

Hbax Oct 15, 2014 12:56 pm

It's all about the Benjamins.

So, I'm supposed to believe that these BlackHawk and Incomm empires are as a result of them asking merchants to sell their products at a loss ?