Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Apple Refund - Credit/Debit Card Swap - YMMV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Use Case:

Day 1: Purchased iPhone 6 at full price (no contract) at Apple Store in NYC. I split the payment as follows: $500 charged to my credit card, remainder ($420) charged to my debit card (linked directly to checking account).

Day 9: Returned iPhone 6 to store, and employee said that she could not refund both cards, only one. Employee refunded full amount ($920) to my debit card.

Result = $500 of manufactured spending.

If this can be replicated, I imagine the manufactured spending is limitless.

Good luck.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:18 am

You have a good imagination!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:18 am

Yea limitless and to a 2x card max. Not scalable at all.

And why didn't you just pay for the whole thing on credit in the first place?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:21 am

Did the salesperson question why you need to split payments? If not, it has potential. However, do not go overboard yet. I have two checking accounts and will try on two separate purchases.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:27 am

And somehow going through this for ~$10 seems worth it to you?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:12 pm

If a return is made to your card larger than the original purchase price that is asking for problems. I had two returns from sears attempted to go to my credit card that were so large that Citi rejected the return, sears thought the return went through and I was out hundreds for a couple months. Good luck anyone that tries this, but no thanks.

Last edited by willhernandez; Oct 9, 2014 at 10:26 am
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:22 pm

I'm assuming he returned to the debit card, otherwise it would be "negative MS" as the refund would count against actual purchases.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:07 pm

Isn't this the same as Nord or Costco returns? Buy with Credit returned to debit?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by willhernandez
If a return is made to your credit card larger than the original purchase price that is asking for problems. I had an two returns from sears attempted to go to my credit card that were so large that Citi rejected the return, sears thought the return went through and I was out hundreds for a couple months. Good luck anyone that tries this, but no thanks.
I had my Bluebird account suspended once for this reason: the credit amount did not match exactly any of the purchases. It was later unblocked with a verbal caution not to do it again.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jonstudio
Did the salesperson question why you need to split payments? If not, it has potential. However, do not go overboard yet. I have two checking accounts and will try on two separate purchases.
No questions asked at all. For the record, this was unintentional. I had a big month on this particular credit card and was near my credit limit, so didn't want to go over.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:32 am

There have multiple reports where both real banks and prepaid debit cards are watching for these kind of returns that exceed the purchase that was put on them. It may not seem a big deal to us, especially when outside of MS, but the banks for some reason get very upset by it.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:31 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by michael_v
but the banks for some reason get very upset by it.
yes because in most cases they have to pay back in full for swipe and interchange fees that they did not collect on the full purchase price.

its a zero sum game... this sorta MS is directly costing somebody (your bank), a shiny penny -- they are in essence subsidizing you and paying you for business you did not earn.

so you can bet your bottom dollar if you do this more than once, your banks algo's are gonna pick that up real quick. and you dont wanna be fired by your primary bank for 500 or 1000 miles or $10 in CB. even if it doesnt go on your chex report.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
yes because in most cases they have to pay back in full for swipe and interchange fees that they did not collect on the full purchase price.

its a zero sum game... this sorta MS is directly costing somebody (your bank), a shiny penny -- they are in essence subsidizing you and paying you for business you did not earn.

so you can bet your bottom dollar if you do this more than once, your banks algo's are gonna pick that up real quick. and you dont wanna be fired by your primary bank for 500 or 1000 miles or $10 in CB. even if it doesnt go on your chex report.
There is a small problem with the self-interest argument though. The bank receiving a credit (and taking action against your account), is not the one that originally paid the swipe fees, etc.
In our case the banks act as a cartel, and defend their competitors from their own customers. They are protecting the industry while incurring a small cost in the process.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:57 pm

I have a better idea for OP:

Buy the diamond ring at costco.com with your Visa http://www.costco.com/3.05-ct-Round-....11679071.html

return it to the store and get cash.

it is not MS.

it is cheating IMHO.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Talking

Originally Posted by MaxVO
There is a small problem with the self-interest argument though. The bank receiving a credit (and taking action against your account), is not the one that originally paid the swipe fees, etc.
In our case the banks act as a cartel, and defend their competitors from their own customers. They are protecting the industry while incurring a small cost in the process.
LOL, man i could not stop laughing, well said sir.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.