Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS
You might want to read more about this hear. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Oct 2nd- State of CC Loading to Serve

except to ask for a $0 cash advance limit. This can also be done via secure message.

Some Chase cardholders have reported a change in their cash advance limit after a pending charge appears for their Serve load, and they presume it means the Serve load is a cash advance. No one has reported an actual cash advance fee yet, only a pending charge of $200. This could change but this situation has happened before! In the past, such charges eventually turn into ordinary charges and the cash advance goes away.

You cannot dispute a charge while it's pending, so there's no point in asking Chase about anything that hasn't posted. No one has reported a cash advance fee, and unless you have one do not call Chase.

There are reports of a change in cash advance limits after a Serve load with the following cards::
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Club
  • Chase Ink Bold Visa
  • Also a Capital One card
  • Discover IT

There are also reports of NO cash advance when using the following cards. Note the overlap:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Explorer MC
  • Chase British Airways Visa
  • Chase Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige, AA), Fidelity AMEX seem to be ok
  • Bank of America (Visa)

Note that some of the reports appear in the Serve thread.
Print Wikipost

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
It seems that for anyone that has set their CA limit below what you are attempting to load onto serve, the transaction is getting declined. The serve load will temporarily remove funds from your avail. CA limit however, wait a little bit til after the purchase actually posts, and you CA limit will be back to full!
That isn't necessarily true. I've been using UA explorer and ink bold this week. Both have $0 cash advance limit.

Really though this has all happened before with serve.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by MasterCharge
i find it comical how letopeto started this thread after only being on this forum less than one month and managed to get so many FTer's to follow him/her. It's a tragedy and really shows how most* FTer's are so easily misguided and impatient, like it has been said in many threads on FT in different forms "Hit it hard until it dies!"

*those that "remains under lifelong tutelage..."
Except that more than half of the posts are those either a. trolling that they called in so as to get a rise out of the more humorless folks here...or b. encouraging calm on the part of the people who are freaking out, or c. simply reporting that something is different, e.g. the two first page posts and several interspersed that report the charge simply being denied, and in a way that is new to serve...serve is explicitly saying that it's credit card issuer that is denying the charge (and this even with people with CA limits high enough to support the charge)....
But keep telling yourself that you've pulled yourself up out of a self-imposed minority (tutelage)...presumably by daring to know (sapere aude!), while everyone else on FT is unenlightened.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by MasterCharge
i find it comical how letopeto started this thread after only being on this forum less than one month and managed to get so many FTer's to follow him/her. It's a tragedy and really shows how most* FTer's are so easily misguided and impatient, like it has been said in many threads on FT in different forms "Hit it hard until it dies!"

*those that "remains under lifelong tutelage..."
There was nothing wrong at all with what the OP did by starting this thread because what he said was true in the fact that Chase was decreasing the card's CA limit when you made a Serve load as evidenced by others who confirmed that this was true. Now at the end of the day it still counted as a purchase but that doesn't make what the OP reported any less true.

I also don't have a problem with the first 3 or so pages of folks reporting which CCs were or were not being processed as CA since that just gave us more data points. The only problem I had was folks freaking out and calling Chase AND Amex to let them know of the problem multiple times instead of letting the first transactions hit to see if it truly got charged as CA.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:06 am

Anyone able to increase CA back? It seems that they need to increase credit line in order to do that, really don't want another pull on CR.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
There was nothing wrong at all with what the OP did by starting this thread because what he said was true in the fact that Chase was decreasing the card's CA limit when you made a Serve load as evidenced by others who confirmed that this was true.
I guess what's wrong is the OP didn't mention that has happened before, and that no one received a cash advance fee.

A less alarmist thread title would help

"AMEX Serve load declined due to $0 cash advance limit."
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
The only problem I had was folks freaking out and calling Chase AND Amex to let them know of the problem multiple times instead of letting the first transactions hit to see if it truly got charged as CA.
Exactly. In addition to the golden rule (Don't call), there should be the rule "pending doesn't mean sh*t - wait until it posts".
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
I guess what's wrong is the OP didn't mention that has happened before, and that no one received a cash advance fee.

A less alarmist thread title would help

"AMEX Serve load declined due to $0 cash advance limit."
I agree that the title should have been reworded to be less alarming. I find a lot of threads that are started by some folks to have such alarming titles and after reading the content the OP puts in, its not even that big of a deal.

In this thread, the title name should have been part of the OP's post rather than the thread title. I think your suggested title of "AMEX Serve load declined due to $0 cash advance limit" would have been more appropriate since the title just documents what happened rather than making a statement.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:42 am

Please tell me what to do in this situation:
I have a Discover card (not Discover IT) with current cash advance of $2,000. I had no problem loading 5 times $200 into my Serve account until the beginning of October.
as of oct 5th, even I try to load just $20 (much less than my current CA limit of $2K) I still get denied and was told by Serve website to contact Discover.

My friend who got Discover IT card is in the same situation even though her CA limit is currently $600.

My impression is Serve was phasing out credit card loading gradually to minimize the cost having paid to credit card issuers?
Thanks a lot.
PS: I always pay off my CC balance each month.

Last edited by fandi; Oct 5, 2014 at 11:19 am
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:40 am

Once the transactions convert to a "purchase" the CA limit goes back up to its original limit. Big deal.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by fandi
Please tell me what to do in this situation:
I have a Discover card (not Discover IT) with current cash advance of $2,000. I had no problem loading 5 times $200 into my Serve account until the beginning of October.
as of oct 5th, even I try to load just $20 (much less than my current CA limit of $2K) I still get denied and was told by Serve website to contact Discover.
I am having the same issue with both my Ink Bold and my husbands Comenity card. I am hesitant to call Chase or Comenity. I don't recall setting 0 limits for any of my cards. How should I proceed?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by angiez628
I am having the same issue with both my Ink Bold and my husbands Comenity card. I am hesitant to call Chase or Comenity. I don't recall setting 0 limits for any of my cards. How should I proceed?
Fairly certain that Ink Bold doesn't allow any cash advances, since it's a charge card and not a credit card.

This means that for services like Buxx (and now Serve) that first appear to go through as a CA before being categorized as a sale, Ink Bold simply will not work.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by angiez628
The Ink Bold - being a charge card - does not have any cash advance limit. Therefore, it is likely this card cannot be used due to the original CA "coding" prior to conversion to a purchase.

Other cards will see a decrease in their available CA limit until the Serve load converts from a temporary authorization to a "purchase" - which takes a few days. The, the CA limit will go back to its original limit. If you are loading several days in a row this can present a problem if you have a relatively small CA limit.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by GimmeMoreMiles
The Ink Bold - being a charge card - does not have any cash advance limit. Therefore, it is likely this card cannot be used due to the original CA "coding" prior to conversion to a purchase.
That was I had thought, but since i noticed Ink Bold listed in the Wiki I thought perhaps I was just misunderstanding how CA worked on that card. Thanks.

I was able to get my barclay US Air to work, but had not planned on using that card.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by GimmeMoreMiles
Once the transactions convert to a "purchase" the CA limit goes back up to its original limit. Big deal.
I'm not talking about a decrease in CA limit. My question is why loading just $20 can't go thru even though my available Discover CA is still a few hundred bucks? same go with my friend Discover IT card?
And none of us got any problems before in the past.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by fandi
I'm not talking about a decrease in CA limit. My question is why loading just $20 can't go thru even though my available Discover CA is still a few hundred bucks? same go with my friend Discover IT card?
And none of us got any problems before in the past.
I was not replying directly to your question; I was referring to the thread in general.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.